Friday Facts #256 - The little things 3

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #256 - The little things 3

Post by Jap2.0 »

Bizz Keryear wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:47 pm
My idea was to make the position of the player a bit more flexible (never suggested it since I figured it won't work out with belts). Instead of being exactly fixed in center of the screen while you are moving and holding the placing button down whenever you a nudged around your character moves, but the screen doesn't. (I am speaking only of the involuntary movement, tho) moving your character ever so slightly of center on the screen, only to return (to the center of the screen) as soon as you let go of the placing button.
That's actually a great idea - don't move the screen for involuntary movements of, say <.2 tiles. I don't know how feasible it is, or how it would be when actually implemented, but I think I would be cool.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Sanya_Zol
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sanya_Zol »

Inventory spilling feature is amazing! You queue some recipes (loads of pipes), fill your inventory with something else, walk close to a friend and cancel crafting. This doesn't require armor so can be done early.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

That's the utmost cheesy exploit ever :mrgreen:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Sanya_Zol wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:17 am
Inventory spilling feature is amazing! You queue some recipes (loads of pipes), fill your inventory with something else, walk close to a friend and cancel crafting. This doesn't require armor so can be done early.
I don't get the point? Is it yet another method for griefing?
Instead of filling belts with random stuff, going for grenades is much easier and you can also hold your forced-fire button to speed up the destruction.

Factorio is probably the most griefer-friendly game i've ever seen (griefers are surprisingly rare though)...

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Oktokolo wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:28 am
Instead of filling belts with random stuff, going for grenades is much easier and you can also hold your forced-fire button to speed up the destruction.

Factorio is probably the most griefer-friendly game i've ever seen (griefers are surprisingly rare though)...
The point is to carry more, much more. Nothing to do with griefing.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

No it's for carrying more items than your inventory can contain : whatever is queued for crafting is not in your inventory any more. Queue 100s of expensive (in materials) crafts, and you can refill your inventory over the top. Then, you can deliver all this stuff wherever you want by cancelling the crafts.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

mrvn wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:06 am
The point is to carry more, much more. Nothing to do with griefing.
Oh. Wow. Never had a case where i needed to carry a huge amount of material usable in handcrafting. On the dwarven mine server i had to carry a ton of ores - but you can't handcraft anything wirth them...

WeirdConstructor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WeirdConstructor »

@belt immunity: Why is the player unable to craft a jet pack while he can craft nifty flying robots?

WeirdConstructor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WeirdConstructor »

Minecraft suffers from griefers more because of the young age of the player base. You got to deal much more with immature brats. I guess most children that do Factorio multiplayer are doing it because they want to join the activity that makes their dad so focused and happy :-)

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

WeirdConstructor wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:35 am
I guess most children that do Factorio multiplayer are doing it because they want to join the activity that makes their dad so focused and happy :-)
Maybe that is the cause for why griefers are rare in Factorio.
I like that Factorio in general appeals more to less action-oriented and more mature players (although the devs work hard to make it accessible and fun for kids too)...

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:58 am
WeirdConstructor wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:35 am
I guess most children that do Factorio multiplayer are doing it because they want to join the activity that makes their dad so focused and happy :-)
Maybe that is the cause for why griefers are rare in Factorio.
I like that Factorio in general appeals more to less action-oriented and more mature players (although the devs work hard to make it accessible and fun for kids too)...
Yeah, Factorio is a more complex game and has a lot older and more mature player base - largely the opposite of Minecraft. I doubt many people who would want to could figure out how to greif extensively, and for those who do... /ban and reload an autosave.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Jap2.0 wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:15 am
I doubt many people who would want to could figure out how to greif extensively, and for those who do... /ban and reload an autosave.
There isn't much to figure out. I saw and heard griefers do mostly what i would expect griefers to do.
There is only one odd exception: Spawn point camping, wich would be pretty easy to pull off in Factorio and also is a classic strategy in other multiplayer games. It does not seem to happen at all. Also, griefers in Factorio in general seem to avoid engaging in PvP. Most just leave when you start shooting them.

In Factorio, if there is a griefer on the server, he is almost guaranteed to use one of the strategies that are specific to the base-builder genre (grenading/nuking the base, stopping trains, blocking tracks...) or even Factorio itself (deconstruct-planning the base, spamming blueprints, rerouting/turning belts, mis-connecting pipes...).
There are some few griefers directly comming from Minecraft as can be seen by their comments displayed on some of the screenshots collected in the UFTGD thread. But most act like Factorio is the first game they grief in.

I wonder, what the reason for the observed specialized behaviour is...
Are griefers in general too young to know the common griefing startegies of more than one genre (do kids not start with shooters anymore)?
Or are the griefers players who once loved Factorio and then somehow converted to griefers?

Return to β€œNews”