Friday Facts #256 - The little things 3

Regular reports on Factorio development.
thriem
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #256 - The little things 3

Post by thriem »

Yes, some nice ideas and vanilla integration of mods. I see 0.17 as an overhaul and as an (rather) internal update - less of a content (besides the belt-immunity-item).
So I am curious, what the next update gonna be - will it be the last content-patch before release then? Looking forward to it - trading with aliens (if this is still a thing), air-cleaning devices, environmental changes (aka tornados, clouds, rain (!!) and weather overall - maybe seasons, breakdown of things))

However, I miss the 3-liquid-wagon. Still bothers me to be so inefficient moving big amounts of fluids and the pointless reason that you can connect up to 3 pumps to 1 wagon, when it takes only seconds to fill/empty anyways, but if set up a whole liquid transportation train, I end up easily with 4-5 fluid wagons, which needs a 2nd train - and usually my trains are 1-1 or 1-2 at max.
I do not care, if the tanks would have 25k storage each or in total, but only 1 fluid per tank hurts me a lot.
I would be satisfied if it became a mid-tier research with 1000 purple - I just want and need the fluids.

Besides the fact, that I do not like the mod, but its idea: E-Trains. Would be an AWESOME feature as well, for end-game research - trains with low penalty on heavy-loads and higher speeds. Maybe even allow electricity distribution without building like 100000 poles besides the rails - which would even come handy with the "upgrader" - tool which is going to come (assuming, that you need to change the rails).

And another thing - the world-generator, would be kinda awesome if you could select a "zone" or "type", like
  • -Coast-, where you have 1-3 edges full of water, and right mid-ocean you have the sweet-spot of crude oil - travelling there by boats (which would also be a nice feature, and I think it wouldn't be that hard either - enclosed area, no wagons - maybe just different tiers of ships, no obstacles, A* pathfinding, Harbours act much like Train Stations...)
  • -Desert-, where trees just dies, heavy winds and the pollution spreads AF

TheDidymen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheDidymen »

Could we rename 'Belt Immunity' into 'Gyroscopic Stabilizer' from the boardgame Roborally?! It basicly does the same thing :D
Thanks for all the hard work!

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

DRY411S wrote:
Drury wrote:
in 0.17 if you do end up spilling your beans, they won't land on your spaghetti
you should get a promotion for this
+1 (even though I'd rather you just couldn't unequip if it meant spilling anything)
What about if it's destroyed?

meganothing
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by meganothing »

PacifyerGrey wrote:Its time to implement equipment (or skills) switches which would toggle personal modules on/off like
  • Personal roboport
  • Personal laser defence
  • Night vision
  • Belt immunity
  • Exoskeletons
All of these you might want to switch off temporarily without removing them from grid. Like I wanna ride the belt bus now - or not. And everyone and their grandmas wished to turn off personal roboport at some point.
While we're on this subject, disabling your character logistics slots might be a very useful skill. A friend of mine regularly dies while crossing rail tracks at the wrong moment. A few weeks ago he got himself killed by train ~6 times in one night only.

Now the problem is that while he tries to get back to his backpack all the logistic bots in our roboport network fill his inventory up again and he has no space left to take up his backpack again.

POPISowyNumer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by POPISowyNumer »

Better belts when
they were really left to rot

AutomationIsFun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AutomationIsFun »

Very nice additions to the game I actually used recursive blueprints to lay soncrete slowly around my base not to overstress my bots. Also the belt equipment is a nice addition for late geme belt builds. Can't wait for tne next version of the game!

whaleberg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by whaleberg »

I would really love an option that prevents removing armor if it would cause spills. Maybe let you override it with a shift click or something like that.

A belt compensator is a great addition to vanilla. I hope it doesn't prevent you from getting a speedboost when you're running in the same direction as the belt though.

SounLee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SounLee »

i posted this on FB but someone told me to better write it up here.
since its late i´ll simply copy my post from there.

nice one, the best "gimmik" is the belt imunity (if you read it you´ll know why this for me)
now the last missing link would be fast replace as OPTIONAL.
(to be honest for me its more than a slight annoyance...)

when my handmuscels start to twitch (ill) while working on the bus or something belt fiddly... i can only hope that my last save isn´t to far away.
belt imunity is a big helpout in the lategame

(another note is the red and green wire, it is the worst choice for colorblind... there is a mod that will change them to blue and yellow... but still it´s a mod and only a handfull of people in MP use it.
without this mod i´m unable to use "network" in MP .

on this base, i would like to ask for some colorblind options in the menu, with this we (colorblind) can play along with others without a mod needed

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

SounLee wrote:when my handmuscels start to twitch (ill) while working on the bus or something
Windows at least has options to enforce a minimum time between clicks...i think? I wrote my own autohotkey script to prevent it because my good old mouse has developed "involuntary double click syndrome" for single clicks. Ofc that doesn't prevent the first click if that's what you want. Disabling all fast-replace is trivial to mod, but ofc then it's disabled for everyone. Also if you disable it you can no longer easily upgrade assemblers without the content spilling into your inventory and requiring to manually set the recipe. I'm not sure if a requirement to do even more clicking would be the best solution for your problem (ofc i don't know your exact problem). Maybe a special "build this with fast replace" button would be better suited? So that normal build and fast replace build are seperate buttons.
SounLee wrote:(another note is the red and green wire, it is the worst choice for colorblind... there is a mod that will change them to blue and yellow... but still it´s a mod and only a handfull of people in MP use it.
As an ugly hacky workaround for the meantime... if you replace the texture files directly in the installation directory you get the different colors for yourself and nobody in MP needs to install any mods, you can simply join as normal. Ofc you need to replace them again after every patch, so official support would be better.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

DaemosDaen wrote:
taikodragon wrote:
JJO998 wrote:Please don't make me go backwards and use personal solar panels!
They should make personal solar panels more useful so having them in the grid is worthwhile. I personally avoid all the armor equipment until I get the reactor since personal solar panels can't keep up with the demand except for maybe a night vision.[/quote}
They already did once. Solar panels are really ony for Modular armor and battery usage Maybe a few Mk1 Personal Roboports. When you think of them as Modular Armor Powersource Mk1 it makes more sense. When you get Power Armor Mk1 you should be thinking about changing them out for a PFR. By the time you get Power Armor Mk2, you should nolonger be using Personal Solar Panels at all.

My onl;y real issue is that we can't reuse them like we can with Battery Equipment Mk1 and Personal Roboports (and the rest of the T1 Power armor gear.)
He must not be playing with a lot of biters. All the armor levels (and solar panels) are worthwhile !
(Though personal solar panels do "waste" quite a bit of iron and copper... maybe if we could dismantle them back to regular panels...?)

Also, Fusion (that needs 200 Lemonade) is quite a bit higher tech than Power Armor Mk1 (that needs only 200 Mana Potions)... so you're likely to use Solar Panels in it for a while !
(And single solar-powered Exoskeleton / Energy Shield / Personal Laser Defense / Discharge Defense are quite feasible with solar...)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

RMJ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RMJ »

Seriously that armor should be called something like Levation armor / suit. Bonus effect could let the user levitate over pipes, water, etc. Obviously it should not offer same advantages of other armors. But be more of a utility suit.

Also obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmT9dHVXfJE
Last edited by RMJ on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

PacifyerGrey wrote:Its time to implement equipment (or skills) switches which would toggle personal modules on/off like
  • Personal roboport
  • Personal laser defence
  • Night vision
  • Belt immunity
  • Exoskeletons
All of these you might want to switch off temporarily without removing them from grid. Like I wanna ride the belt bus now - or not. And everyone and their grandmas wished to turn off personal roboport at some point.
I agree.

Also, what do you think about the name "Belt compensation equipment"?
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

Claudius1729
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Claudius1729 »

Thanks guys!

The belt immunity seems like a desirable default game feature, so it shouldn't be part of an item in my opinion. It should just be a default property of the exoskeleton.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I also +1 the suggestion that belt immunity should be a feature of the exoskeleton. Once you are able to crank exoskeletons in your power armor, you don't need the small boost the belts can provide you that much any more.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

how does the belt-immunity-equipment actually work? is it a hoverboard, a machine that you can fly? or sth that pushes you accordingly in the opposite direction while you stand on a belt, which would look super weird... please provide a realistic scetch regards

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

dog80 wrote:how does the belt-immunity-equipment actually work?
It hooks into your brain and automatically makes your feet stand on the seams between the belts.
Kind of like the game called twister but totally safe! (9 of 9 test persons did not rupture any ligaments.)
Last edited by eradicator on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

eradicator wrote:
dog80 wrote:how does the belt-immunity-equipment actually work?
It hooks into your brain and automatically makes your feet stand on the seams between the belts.
Kind of like the game called twister but totally safe!
makes sense - also while we have cuircits and advanced stuff ready - why not stop the belts automatically when you stand on them

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

dog80 wrote: why not stop the belts automatically when you stand on them
You mean like...stop...the...factory? *gasp*....stop...production? I think you need to see a doctor.
I already need one after only reading that. *shudder*.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

[quote="eradicator"]Windows at least has options to enforce a minimum time between clicks...i think? I wrote my own autohotkey script to prevent it because my good old mouse has developed "involuntary double click syndrome" for single clicks.[/b].

see "static charge" -- try blowing into your mouse, so moisture gets to the contact - works for me

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

meganothing wrote:Now the problem is that while he tries to get back to his backpack all the logistic bots in our roboport network fill his inventory up again and he has no space left to take up his backpack again.
i agree - find a solution for this plz -- i always to to outrun bots and find a spot where it canceles the delivery orders

Return to “News”