Friday Facts #256 - The little things 3

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #256 - The little things 3

Post by Zavian »

BlueTemplar wrote:A small detail though : there will be a lot of cringing among the more obsessive-compulsive of us if the Belt Immunity Equipment is only 1x1 !
(the only thing that we are going to be able to put in the remaining spot in the 10x10 Power Armor Mk2 will be a pretty useless Solar Panel!)
Better solution make night vision 1x1, (or even make batteries 1x1, possibly cheaper, and with half the storage).

JJO998
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JJO998 »

I agree, I love the idea of belt immunity, but in a MK2 armour rig I'm hardly going to remove an exosuit or roboport, so a mk2 battery gets replaced with a belt immunity and a solar panel?!? Unlikely too, unless more 1x1 parts are released.

Can't it just be locked behind an expensive science research?

Suggestions for other 1x1 equipment include;
- 1x1 grid power connection, helps recharging equipment.
- 1x1 'pocket' that adds additional tool belt layer.
- 1x1 slot that adds ability for personal modules (efficiency for less power usage, speed for exosuit upgrades, productivity to boost (dirty) little hand crafters (Nilaus / KOS reference check!)
- 1x1 'backpack' 1x1 for extra line of inventory space
- 1x1 range booster for personal roboports?

Please don't make me go backwards and use personal solar panels!

Thanks for all the great work.

drmason13
Inserter
Inserter

Post by drmason13 »

A science research that upgrades the exoskeletons to provide "belt motion compensation" seems like a good idea.

I applaud these three ideas

Calibretto22
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Calibretto22 »

In 0.17, we have split this list into two, one for tile ghosts, and one for entity ghosts.
i really like the idea of splitting the lists.
isn't there already another list for modules?

and "Belt motion compensation" sounds great.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

How does the catalyst exactly work? it is not 100% clear in the blog post.

taikodragon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by taikodragon »

JJO998 wrote:Please don't make me go backwards and use personal solar panels!
They should make personal solar panels more useful so having them in the grid is worthwhile. I personally avoid all the armor equipment until I get the reactor since personal solar panels can't keep up with the demand except for maybe a night vision.

leoch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leoch »

Another little thing: can you fix requests getting filled by distant bots in a big network? Often it's quicker for a local bot to do two jobs than wait for a distant bot to arrive.

Similarly for storage: why do bots place stuff in far away storage when there's much nearer options?

And pre-emptive charging would be good too.

DaemosDaen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaemosDaen »

Love some of these ideas, Just need 3 more things for .17:
1.) Another end game (aka. not personal solar panels) 1x1 grid space item for OCD reason., love the Inventory/Toolbar idea posted previously.
2.) the ability to turn off personal logistics requests/trash slots via interface (not equipment as this is most useful when you have lost your power armor, and your respawn point is in the middle of your Mall/ME)
3.) the ability to enable/disable CHAIN signals via the circuit network conditions. I've had a few instance where this would be useful. espicially when having multiple unloader stations of the same materials using the same train yard.

Bonus.) For the love of dog, please make it so that the text entry box on the forums white instead of grey. (Browsers: Edge, Chrome, IE)

DaemosDaen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaemosDaen »

taikodragon wrote:
JJO998 wrote:Please don't make me go backwards and use personal solar panels!
They should make personal solar panels more useful so having them in the grid is worthwhile. I personally avoid all the armor equipment until I get the reactor since personal solar panels can't keep up with the demand except for maybe a night vision.[/quote}
They already did once. Solar panels are really ony for Modular armor and battery usage Maybe a few Mk1 Personal Roboports. When you think of them as Modular Armor Powersource Mk1 it makes more sense. When you get Power Armor Mk1 you should be thinking about changing them out for a PFR. By the time you get Power Armor Mk2, you should nolonger be using Personal Solar Panels at all.

My onl;y real issue is that we can't reuse them like we can with Battery Equipment Mk1 and Personal Roboports (and the rest of the T1 Power armor gear.)

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Cabanur wrote:I feel like the belt immunity should just be part of the exoskeletons. Having a 1x1 equipment greatly nerfs all the rest of equipments because it will inevitably lead to empty spaces in your grid.

From a suspension of disbelief perspective you could say it's the exoskeleton what actively compensates for belt movement anyway.
This is a much better idea than having a separate entity, currently built exoskeletons could simply be part of a new recipe-upgrade to add belt immunity.
Zavian wrote:
BlueTemplar wrote:A small detail though : there will be a lot of cringing among the more obsessive-compulsive of us if the Belt Immunity Equipment is only 1x1 !
(the only thing that we are going to be able to put in the remaining spot in the 10x10 Power Armor Mk2 will be a pretty useless Solar Panel!)
Better solution make night vision 1x1, (or even make batteries 1x1, possibly cheaper, and with half the storage).
Even better solution is in the first quote!
Deadly-Bagel wrote:
purdueme91 wrote:Can we make the belt immunity able to be toggled on and off with a hotkey? I love the version in nanobots most of the time but there are times when I want to use the belts to run faster across the base
This.
Needed. But not only belt immunity, a toggle for personal roboport on/off and exoskeleton on/off too. Please devs!
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

"Belt Immunity Equipment"

THANK YOU

This was the very last complain I would ever make on Factorio, when in late game your factory is covered by blue belts.

Thank you so so so much.
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

KoblerMan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KoblerMan »

I'm all for belt motion compensation. However, I don't believe it's a good idea to make it immediately and permanently available to ALL power armor, because belt highways would become useless. I think it would work better as a switch that could be turned on and off on the inventory GUI rather than something else taking up inventory slots. I don't think this should be limited to power armor either, or locked behind research, seeing as it would be a QoL feature.

Also, I think it would be equally effective on vehicles. Again, a GUI switch would work well here.

Keep up the good work, guys.
ImageImage
System Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (@~3.8 gHz)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080
RAM: 32GB DDR4 (2400)
DRIVES: 2x 1TB NVMe SSD, 1x 6TB HDD

halloween20
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by halloween20 »

hmm...

about the items not spilling on belts...
as it seems, the logic skips any tiles with "something" on it and uses the next free tile to drop the items it wants to drop...
so imagine you have a hugh load of items (which for example stack high in your inventory...) and you are standing in a highly dense factory.
now you drop them accidentally.
will the logic now, while searching for empty tiles, throw your belongings to the end of the world?

whelp!! :shock:

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Its time to implement equipment (or skills) switches which would toggle personal modules on/off like
  • Personal roboport
  • Personal laser defence
  • Night vision
  • Belt immunity
  • Exoskeletons
All of these you might want to switch off temporarily without removing them from grid. Like I wanna ride the belt bus now - or not. And everyone and their grandmas wished to turn off personal roboport at some point.

Inwoods
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Inwoods »

I'm not clear on enrichment, this is only reporting, correct? It's not going to start caching the good stuff internally as a "catalyst," so we still have to do the weird tricks to reinsert the catalyst and output that single nice chunk of uranium?

theqmann
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by theqmann »

Instead of a separate Belt Immunity item, why not just make the existing Exoskeleton grant this? That's generally the point when you don't need the speed boost from belts any longer since you can run faster.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Inwoods wrote:I'm not clear on enrichment, this is only reporting, correct? It's not going to start caching the good stuff internally as a "catalyst," so we still have to do the weird tricks to reinsert the catalyst and output that single nice chunk of uranium?
Yes, It will still output all the ingredients and catalysts when the crafting finishes

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

Faark wrote:
Belt Immunity
Does that "stabilizer" only apply when standing or do we also loose the "running on belt" speed bonus?

With belt immunity equipment, you will also lose the belt highway speed bonus.
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

thank you for the addition of the belt immunity equipment
I know it has been in the game for quite some time, but with out a recipe i cant make it.
so i have always just given myself this equipment, as i love it!
i also included it as a standard piece of starter gear that one can put in their power armor that i also give in the revision of the oarc scenario i ran on my server for the longest time.
very much welcoming this addition.

as for spillage of my inventory when i click my power armor, oh the times i have had to run around and clean all my belts because of it, thank you very much for this change.
as a side note i read that someone said it would be nice if when i clicked my power armor it wouldn't let me remove it if it would spill my inventory, got me thinking it would be nice to have this as an option, just need a error message in the console to let me know why i can't take it off.

thanks again for making this wonderful game!

Killcreek2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Killcreek2 »

Nice QoL update, it really is the small touches like these that make Factorio shine, & keep me coming back. Awesome.

"Belt Motion Compensator"... Think I actually like that name better than "Belt Immunity".

Also this:
PacifyerGrey wrote:Its time to implement equipment (or skills) switches which would toggle personal modules on/off like
  • Personal roboport
  • Personal laser defence
  • Night vision
  • Belt immunity
  • Exoskeletons
All of these you might want to switch off temporarily without removing them from grid. Like I wanna ride the belt bus now - or not. And everyone and their grandmas wished to turn off personal roboport at some point.
Yes please, add native hotkeys for toggling player equipment. Doesn't really need a gui element & fancy graphics, just hotkey support would be great.

It is the one thing that has always really bothered me since I began playing back in end of v0.12, & have been asking for ever since then.
e.g: before planning a new design out using ghosts, temporarily disabling personal roboports is rather clunky & frustratingly awkward in vanilla: either you remember to remove the equipment from the armour before starting (& have to wait for it to recharge later), or you must craft additional suit(s) without that equipment fitted & carry it(them) with you everywhere to swap when needed. Ditto for exo-legs, PLDs, &etc.
BUT! One mis-click & there are beans all over your spaghetti, or your personal bot swarm is scattering to the winds.
(This is the main reason I started using mods so quickly: the very first one installed, (long before any other mods), was "personal equipment hotkeys" in v0.13, & I'm still using a version of it today. My only "essential" QoL mod.)

I find it strange that The Factorian (The Engineer?) can construct so many different advanced mechanical & high-tech electronic devices, (including an industrial-sized power switch), yet cannot manage an on-off toggle for their nightvision goggles... ;)
"Functional simplicity, structural complexity." ~ Appleseed

Return to “News”