Friday Facts #56 - A lot of stuff

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Plop and run
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #56 - A lot of stuff

Post by Plop and run »

Just wondering... for roboports, why not just draw a spanning tree (or a spanning tree + convex hull if bounds are THAT important) instead of triangulation?
Black blood of the factory

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanning_Tree_Protocol
Interesting.
But for me as player I would be confused, cause I cannot make a connection with the next roboport, but only all around through the whole network of roboports and then from "backwards" connected. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Plop and run
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Plop and run »

... what :? ? I was talking about spanning trees from graph theory, you can place your stuff wherever you want, it's just a visual representation that minimizes the number of lines drawn.
Black blood of the factory

Jimlad
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Jimlad »

If you're having difficulty implementing gates, why not simply substitute them with forcefields? The mechanics of the implementation will be far easier, and you won't have to worry about inconsistencies such as when the gate animation is open but you still want it to act as a barrier to biters etc. There won't be any difference to the player, as the functionality ought to be identical to gates. Another possible advantage is that if you choose, you could have conveyers going through forcefields as well, whereas that won't be possible with gates. Plus - lots of possibilities for cool effects!

krux02
Inserter
Inserter

Post by krux02 »

your triangulation doesn't look like it's a Delaunay triangulation. I think if you would implement that, it would improve the visualization even more. There is an incremental edge flip based triangulation algorithm for that, that would fit perfectly for this case, because of the incremental nature of adding roboports.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

@Jimlad: Well, in my opinion, force fields as gates are slightly worse than normal gates. Not much, but I would prefer normal "hard" gates. Maybe both? Being able to upgrade them would be nice. An additional research would be nice.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Jimlad wrote:If you're having difficulty implementing gates, why not simply substitute them with forcefields? The mechanics of the implementation will be far easier, and you won't have to worry about inconsistencies such as when the gate animation is open but you still want it to act as a barrier to biters etc. There won't be any difference to the player, as the functionality ought to be identical to gates. Another possible advantage is that if you choose, you could have conveyers going through forcefields as well, whereas that won't be possible with gates. Plus - lots of possibilities for cool effects!
I'd prefer to have hard gates to correspond with walls, but a laser fence tech would be awesome!

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Tiberium Sun anybody? :mrgreen:

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Yepp. One very nice feature of Tiberian Sun - now in Factorio! :D
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Plop and run wrote:... what :? ? I was talking about spanning trees from graph theory
Off topic: A "Spanning tree" is in German two different things: Either the above mentioned "Spanning tree protocol", which isn't translated in German and the "Spannbaum" (could be translated to English like "Spanntree"). That is what you mean:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spannbaum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanning_tree

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

by the way:
that thing has a neat czech name (using "wikipedia translation")
http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kostra_grafu

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

YES

Spooky scary graph skeletons, perfect for halloween.

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xnmo »

Can't. Wait. For. TANK

Need to roll over some pesky biters and their icky abodes beneath my treads :)

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

If we get mobile spitters, does this mean worms can be nerfed and not be such a pain in the butt to deal with? Or should I expect to rely on the tank for them?

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

I think the tank will be a great help in killing the worms yes

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

When placing roboports at the far reachs of the range (for maximum coverage over maximum spread) I use the dotted connection lines to see, not only if I'm placing the roboport in the correct place, but if there is already a roboport to me N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W and NW. if I don't see all 8 lines, that means at least 1 is missing, and I need to head over there and place another roboport.

With the new Triangulation method, would it still link to ALL roboports that are not on screen?

if the answer is no... please make the linkage triangulation a toggleable variable in the options, rather than forced upon us all.

Another thing I noticed, one of the reasons I read for moving to the triangulation method was to reduce lag caused by drawing too many sprites at once... I find that, especially when you only have the 8 links to roboports off screen, drawing that orange and green logistic and construction field takes WAY more power than the link lines.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Bob makes a good point. Perhaps it could be made so that when placing a new roboport, the triangulation doesn't occur and instead all lines are shown. Use the triangulation only when hovering over anything in the logistics network. (or make even this a configuration option, something like "Use triangulation" with choices "Always"|"Always except placing roboports"|"Never")
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. I would like to see the 8 Roboport positions (N, NE, E, SE ...), which touch the existing.

AND (!) their continuations. I mean: I want to occupy a big area. Fast. But I need to wait for placing the current Roboport, until I can place the next. I want to speed this up a lot: place all roboports at the right points, cable them and some minutes later they are all set up. Instead of half an hour. Therefore I need to see the right places for my roboports.

Idea: when I shift-right click on a entity (copy), and want to place it, the game displays me the most useful places. In this case the most far places in the 8 directions.

Oh and I think the roboports should be able to connect a power cable to another Roboport (a bit kind of special connection). No need to place extra poles, I think this will speed the game up a lot.

Edit: and the ability to place ghost buildings on wood (or other buildings): when using a special key combi (Ctrl, shift for example) the ghost or blueprint will first destruct everything on ground and then build. And a slightly bigger area for destruction then for construction, cause for roboports so far at the ranges you need currently to cut/shoot the wall by hand, before you can place it.

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xnmo »

Those are all great suggestions ssilk, would certainly improve logistic network usability a ton.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The triangulation is only applied to existing roboports. When building new roboport, you see all connections, we play the game as well, so we know what would be annoying :)

Return to “News”