Friday Facts #248 - Not Saturday Facts

Regular reports on Factorio development.
AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #248 - Not Saturday Facts

Post by AntiElitz »

We'd really appreciate a nice Graphic for the atomic bomb, if you have some capacity left - maybe i good place to test shaders too!

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Holy shit.

It's time to start sending bags of dicks to quite a few people I know. Thanks to Wube for both Factorio and promotion for sending bags of dicks to people you hate... plus yourself.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Twinsen wrote:There are of course other small projects that are ongoing, such as improved pipe-fluid physics and improved map generation, but more on those when they are fleshed out.
Already curious how the fluid physics will turn out.
Twinsen wrote:We thoroughly enjoyed shoving them down our throat.
... mkay.

AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AngledLuffa »

Gergely wrote:
mexmer wrote:0.17 when? :mrgreen:
When it's ready.

Stupid question. (Stop asking the developers to make promises!!)
I don't think we're looking for a day and time. Just an estimate would be nice: days, weeks, months, end of year, etc

flapje
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by flapje »

are things like FFF-228 and FFF-191 still going to be implemented or are they in the same place as spidertron? :)

AndrolGenhald
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AndrolGenhald »

A closed-beta branch was sent to a few players to test that rendering works correctly across different hardware.
I'd love to help you guys test this out. I have the same problem as here, which isn't Factorio's fault but it'd be nice to know if it's avoided now. I have a 5 monitor setup with a GTX 780 Ti and a cheap Radeon 5450, which I'm guessing isn't all too common. I also have a GTX 970 in a Windows machine I can swap with the 780 for further testing.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

flapje wrote:are things like FFF-228 and FFF-191 still going to be implemented or are they in the same place as spidertron? :)
I'm nearly positive 228 will be implemented because most of it is already available as a mod by Klonan.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

AngledLuffa wrote:
Gergely wrote:
mexmer wrote:0.17 when? :mrgreen:
When it's ready.

Stupid question. (Stop asking the developers to make promises!!)
I don't think we're looking for a day and time. Just an estimate would be nice: days, weeks, months, end of year, etc
I can give you one:

This year.

Wanna bet on it?

I don't think we need anything like that.

loup-vaillant
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by loup-vaillant »

So they are working on the fluid physics. it's quirks made it one of the few subsystems in Factorio that didn't live up to the dev's overall standards. I'm quite delighted to learn they're working on it for real—and not just announcing they may take a look.

Bassad
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bassad »

While I appreciate that you always have the modding community in the back of your head, I would like to know what the impact of the new GUI will make on current and future mods? For example the small icons on the top left corner or other windows. Does that mean modders will need to reinvent themselfs and re-write their whole designs to adapt it to the new GUI or will it come naturally without having to redo everything (in terms of mod-gui design) ?

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

AngledLuffa wrote:I don't think we're looking for a day and time. Just an estimate would be nice: days, weeks, months, end of year, etc
One of those, for sure. Hopefully not "etc." but who knows.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

flapje wrote:are things like FFF-228 and FFF-191 still going to be implemented or are they in the same place as spidertron? :)
Those should both be in 0.17.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Jupiter
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jupiter »

D*cks? I only see boobs, a belly and a mons pubis.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

milo christiansen wrote:3GB for high res? I run high res on a 2GB card and it does not lag or anything, nice steady 60/60
At 1920x1080 with no compromises or backoffs, everything on, nvidia-smi reports 2116MiB used without compression, 1809MiB with. You want a little left over for running other things, right?

Plus I'm betting they're going to use about half that last gig-ish for 0.17.

triffid_hunter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by triffid_hunter »

Anyone else irritated by the zoom glitch video having content-disposition header so the browser downloads it instead of playing it?

Code: Select all

Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=fff-248-ui%20zooming.webm
:roll:

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

milo christiansen wrote:3GB for high res? I run high res on a 2GB card and it does not lag or anything, nice steady 60/60
I have 2GB of video memory, and it crashes on startup if I select high res graphics.
(which I guess should technically be called ultra-high res, as it seems to be designed for ultra-high resolution monitors?)
That video memory is shared though, and I only have 4GB RAM - might explain the crash?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

As for taking mod requests,
and where fluids are concerned :
I'd like to make a "more realistic" boiler/steam engine mod, and for that I need several things :
- Be able to control when a liquid becomes a gas : check, I think? (as long as it happens in a building, and not a pipe/tank)
- Be able to heat fluids : check, I think, with boilers?
- Be able to take energy for the phase change : check, I think, with chemical plants?
- Be able to take energy for the phase change using fuel rather than electricity - this doesn't seem to be possible right now?
(- It would be nice to be able to cool fluids too, for full cycle heat engines for instance - I don't know if it can already be done)
- Be able to vary efficiency depending on fluid temperature and ambient temperature
- Be able to raise ambient temperature in a pollution-like fashion

- Maybe, with some luck, I won't need to deal with fluid volume/pressure ? (these designed to be fixed for each factory/pipe)

Some physical background for those interested - from Discord
P.S.: Thanks a lot for Bilka for adding the steam engine efficiency in its tooltip and description !
Last edited by BlueTemplar on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Meddleman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Meddleman »

Twinsen wrote: Oh, and our coding always goes as planned without any problems.
Still, got a nice smooth 60fps there, so we got that going for 0.17, which is nice I guess. ^^

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

I would really like more research, more vanilla stuff to build, more recipes, more tiers of stuff.

I know there are mods, but still, they have another "swag"?!?!! then the vanilla recipes and tiers.

Also you should really integrate this SNEI (is it corret spelled?!) in the end, just an INGAME overview over all recipes, buildings, etc. Maybe a little bit more user friendly.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

FFF248 wrote:
  • Having multiple versions of a mod installed and being able to switch between them.
  • Letting mods set entities to not require power.
Wohoo, awesome. One great unexpected present and finally power-free things :D.

I think the most common "hack that might be fixable" is spawning additional entities when entity x is build (i.e. invisible inserters, chests, pipes, poles etc). If it was somehow possible to specify that (including automatic removal handling) it could remove lots of scripting, especially blueprint handling for that type of hack is pretty prone to bugs.

Code: Select all

data:extend {
 type = 'assembling-machine',
 name= 'my-modded-special-machine',
 associated_entities = {
  { name  = 'invisible-inserter', offset = {-0.5,-0,75},
  { name  = 'invisble-chest', offset = {-0.5, -1.25},
  }

Return to “News”