Friday Facts #55 - MP Preview

Regular reports on Factorio development.
SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #55 - MP Preview

Post by SHiRKiT »

WOah! I love to see multipalyer updates! I can't wait to play this with some friends!

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

ssilk wrote:Spitter. I read always splitter.
Could we rename them? Spewer? Salivators?
Rooty-tooty-point-n-shooty-er

EDIT: Whoopsy-daisy-spitty-bugger

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xnmo »

Guys I found a picture of the new baddie, looks pretty scary if you ask me :)

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

I suggest making it so that spitters would not reside the spawning location but instead would be furter away (you know, enemy bases getting more deadly as you move further from spawning location).

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

xnmo wrote:Guys I found a picture of the new baddie, looks pretty scary if you ask me :)
It took me a while to get this, but then I laughed unnaturally loudly. :lol:

darkrising
Inserter
Inserter

Post by darkrising »

Hello, It's really cool to see multiplayer in action! Nice work :)

How lag tolerant will multiplayer be? I'm on a 3G connection (I can't get dsl or anything) and my average ping is about 120 - 300 depending on time of day etc. Sometimes I get a few packet drops and time outs too.

Will this mean I will disconnect and be forced to re-download the map each time this happens?
Check out my gaming community, we hope to one day host Factorio servers! http://www.darkserver.co.uk
Also check out my mod: Alien Science https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=3373

Sparkerish
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sparkerish »

:shock: :o Oooh, Oooh, (bouncing in seat) I wanna play ..... PLEEEEASE :P

ok, so I will wait til cars are fixed... maybe...

LOVE IT

Keep up the great work!

(2 is not enough thumbs so have some smileys instead) :D :mrgreen: :D
Have FUN!
WARNING Factorio

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

darkrising wrote:Hello, It's really cool to see multiplayer in action! Nice work :)

How lag tolerant will multiplayer be? I'm on a 3G connection (I can't get dsl or anything) and my average ping is about 120 - 300 depending on time of day etc. Sometimes I get a few packet drops and time outs too.

Will this mean I will disconnect and be forced to re-download the map each time this happens?
It depends on the latency that would be probably configurable. Now we are playing at latency 4 ticks (66ms) and it is quite ok, but as we have no lag hiding mechanism planned yet for 0.11 (planned for 0.12), much higher latencies would result into annoying gameplay, as the reaction time of the game would increase too much. We planned the first multiplayer version to be playable over lan or very good internet connection, improvements will come later.

Ric
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ric »

Looks great! Thanks for continuing updates guys. We really appreciate it!
So excited for multi and have 2 other mates just waiting for it too release so we can come back to this great game :)

Small piece of advice, you badly need new mic's. I could barely make out half of what you said :P
"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, it's half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice the size it needs to be"

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

kovarex wrote:We planned the first multiplayer version to be playable over lan or very good internet connection, improvements will come later.
Shit.

Well, we're going to be putting that to the test aren't we? :twisted:

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

-root wrote:Well, we're going to be putting that to the test aren't we? :twisted:
Well when you have a low bandwidth connection it doesn't necessarily mean that you have a (too) high latency. I think factorio MP will not need much data to be transferred.

Even with ISDN (Bandwidth= 8 Kilobyte per second!!) I had latencies under 50ms

;) http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/r ... tency.html

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

This is interesting.

Does ping = latency?

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Yes.
Most connections that cross the Atlantic are all but guaranteed to be upwards of 150 ping.
Most connections that stay within a country's borders is likely to be less than 75 ping.

It'll be guess and check for any specific connection's latency though, as the route your data takes can change dramatically, depending on how your ISP, the destination, and the backbone between them are all routing traffic.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

n9103 wrote: Most connections that cross the Atlantic are all but guaranteed to be upwards of 150 ping.
Most connections that stay within a country's borders is likely to be less than 75 ping.
Bugger. Looks like i may be back to looking for other aussies to play multiplayer with.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Maybe. Depends on how tolerant it ends up being.
There's always room for a community succession game though. Just ask any Dwarf Fortress player ;)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

Depending on how it's implemented, 150 ping might not be a problem. Remember that this isn't a real time shooter where low latency is crucial.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

Marbles wrote:Depending on how it's implemented, 150 ping might not be a problem. Remember that this isn't a real time shooter where low latency is crucial.
For me, those high latency games were crucial! Always loved it when the other players couldn't touch me and I had no problem racking up the hits! Of course when the latency god disapproved, it was an exercise in serious frustration :x

Return to “News”