Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Post Reply
zerohourrct
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by zerohourrct » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:24 pm

If the back button now scraps changes, it should be renamed to something like Cancel or Undo, and not back, so as not to conflict with veteran knowledge that 'back' = confirm.

User avatar
5thHorseman
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 693
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by 5thHorseman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Jap2.0 wrote:New resource system confirmed?
fff-246-mapgen-preview-02-tooltips.png
Far more likely just a mistake in the mock-up. Especially considering this screen doesn't have them:
pic
"So you completed the game with a spaghetti factory? Well I hand crafted a rocket and threw it into space with my bare hands!"

Speadge
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:01 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by Speadge » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:01 am

soundsettings:

there is no "cancel" as describen in the text to see on the screenshot... as wenn its said "escabe is same as pressing back" but its not said if this means settings are saved or not

Cazadore
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:52 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by Cazadore » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:39 am

one little thing i miss from the preview screen:

A highlighted area for the starting zone, nothing fancy, just a green coloured box showing it. then the preview screen would be perfect.

SirLANsalot
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by SirLANsalot » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:48 am

I love even the mockups of the UI....hell even if they are "WIP" they look amazing....I want!

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 3068
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by eradicator » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:11 am

Jürgen Erhard wrote:
DanGio wrote:Cool !
Setting the frequency to minimum gives you very few ore, setting the size to minimum gives you no ore at all. How does one makes the difference between very few and none at all with the new sliders ?
THIS. I do like that you don't need two clicks to change a setting, but I dislike the lack of explanatory *visible* text.
Difference between "very few" and "none" was exactly the thing i was going to say too. Looks good otherwise =).
______
Twinsen wrote:
KatherineOfSky wrote:I have a request -- currently the Map Exchange string is copy-able to the clipboard. Could you make it so that we can save it to a preset of our own? [...]
We were looking into it. Unfortunately the interface was getting pretty complicated with a lot of gotchas. So in the interest of time we decided to keep it simple and keep new features to a minimum.
Being able to directly select an old savegame for preset extraction would also be kinda nice. For the mean time i'm pretty sure mods can add presets. Not exactly comfortable to make a new mod for that, but...

User avatar
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by Oktokolo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:03 am

glex wrote:What it's elevated is what I call editable display (fancy, I know).
Yeah, fancy name for a button. For me, they look like buttons. For others they seem to look like buttons. You will either have to tell users that this buttons are not buttons - or just make them not look like buttons. This will probably be one of the first fixes after the new GUI gets released. You might even get feature requests for making the numbers directly editable by including a text field... ;)
glex wrote:I hope this twisted explanation helps to understand a bit better.
We here in the forum are the power users and understand what you say. But if you like to explain users that buttons are not buttons if they feature rounded corners...
Well, it does not matter much in this case, because they will just use the sliders next to the buttons and map creation is not that frequent a task anyway.

zac50333
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:18 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by zac50333 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:22 am

The UI looks great!

However I do have a problem with the slider bars. Whenever I've used a slider bar, they've always seemed imprecise. I much prefer it to have a description (none, very small, small, etc) than a slider bar. If there is a tooltip (one that appears by your mouse) that does show a description, then that's fine. If there isn't maybe there could be an option to turn that on, or have an option to switch out the sliders with the drop down boxes like weave right now.

Other than that, it really looks good and will be a step up from the current one.

HalfPastZulu
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by HalfPastZulu » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:23 am

Bilka wrote:I'm calling it now: With the new GUI tileset, nobody will know if a value can be changed because the button and editable field look exactly the same. Notice the seed field for example, it looks exactly the same as the other buttons, making me wonder if it's a button, or a text field.
At a quick non-interactive glance it may appear that way at first. However, after comparing a couple different screens you realize that text boxes are rounded and buttons are square.

User avatar
Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by Nova » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:54 am

Please give me numbers for the sound settings! I don't want to frickle with the setting and have them "nearly the same" because I can't see if they are aligned. I want to see at what value they are and maybe even set the to precise ones. Especially when I change them for something and then change them back. I don't want to have to guess at what value they were, I want to exactly place them at the same value as before.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of. Image

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:48 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by Nemoricus » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:20 am

Will there be a way to save custom presets in the game itself? IE, without having to copy a string and saving it to an external file?

Tynach
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by Tynach » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:08 am

HalfPastZulu wrote:
Bilka wrote:I'm calling it now: With the new GUI tileset, nobody will know if a value can be changed because the button and editable field look exactly the same. Notice the seed field for example, it looks exactly the same as the other buttons, making me wonder if it's a button, or a text field.
At a quick non-interactive glance it may appear that way at first. However, after comparing a couple different screens you realize that text boxes are rounded and buttons are square.
Tabs are also rounded, though. Personally, I think text boxes should be square with a lighter (perhaps even white) background - or at the very least they should look 'pressed in' rather than 'popped out'.

Trax.Beaumont
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:06 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by Trax.Beaumont » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:10 am

The map preview is great in general. But one thing I've always missed when I was starting a new session: The player spawn point. I think this should show up in the preview as well.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 4720
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by Koub » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:50 am

Why different types of "on/off / checkboxes" styles ?
Why
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

rtssmkn
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:36 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by rtssmkn » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:47 am

Instead of placing the map preview to the right of the dialog, why not keep the dialog in place and instead put the map as a full screen backdrop? See mock below.

The dialog will then be hidden whenever the user moves the mouse outside of the dialog area and it will be shown again whenever the user moves the mouse over the title at the top of the screen.

1.
fff-246-mapgen-01.png
fff-246-mapgen-01.png (305.96 KiB) Viewed 1190 times

2.
fff-246-mapgen-02.png
fff-246-mapgen-02.png (396.57 KiB) Viewed 1190 times

User avatar
Dev-iL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by Dev-iL » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:29 am

As always, nice work on the UI update. It feels like something that can genuinely improve the game experience!

Onto more pressing issues... Since this GUI redesign phase is probably the last opportunity to add something fundamental to the way the UI is drawn, I urge you once more to improve the support for RTL languages.

You have already discussed how you're thinking about modifying the UI to suit colorblind players, bet let us not forget that they are but a small portion of all players, nowhere near the combined amount of potential players from the Arabic speaking countries, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, etc.

You have several courses of action here:
  • Assign the manpower and fix it properly (I can elaborate on what needs fixing) in a matter of several days.
  • "Dirty fix" by means of reversing the entire UI when the RTL flag is on (see example from MS below).
  • Keep everything the way it is and ship a game that is embarrassingly unpolished for some players.
  • Remove the ability to play the game in RTL languages and tell tens of thousands of potential players that you're not interested in them.
Image
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

xng
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by xng » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:01 am

Sliders instead of dropdowns! This makes my old heart so happy! <3

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 3068
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by eradicator » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:31 am

Dev-iL wrote: You have several courses of action here:
  • Assign the manpower and fix it properly (I can elaborate on what needs fixing) in a matter of several days.
Image
Just out of curiosity because some of my mods have GUIs. Is the $proper_fix even remotely automatable? Or would i have to redesign every GUI twice? Because as a "solo modder" i don't have the manpower to do everything twice, and i doubt most of the others have :x.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 1878
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:20 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by Bilka » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:39 am

zerohourrct wrote:If the back button now scraps changes, it should be renamed to something like Cancel or Undo, and not back, so as not to conflict with veteran knowledge that 'back' = confirm.
Seems like this is alrady being done, but I also want to stress that this is very important to make clear.
Tynach wrote:Tabs are also rounded, though. Personally, I think text boxes should be square with a lighter (perhaps even white) background - or at the very least they should look 'pressed in' rather than 'popped out'.
+1 to giving them another color if you dont want to change the button look at all. Just a way to make more clear that it's NOT a button.
Koub wrote:Why different types of "on/off / checkboxes" styles ?
Oh god, the things you dont see at first glance... please please use only checkbox or only slider.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:21 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #246 - The GUI update (Part 3)

Post by dee- » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:47 am

Thank you for the mockups.

However I am not as happy as others seem to be with the outcome so far. For me it looks all over the place, riddled with inconsistencies and very "busy".
details

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users