Friday Facts #245 - Campaign concept

Regular reports on Factorio development.
thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #245 - Campaign concept

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

sdg2001us@yahoo.com wrote:I used to build rockets before the technology tree was changed with the new science packs. Launching rockets now requires an hundreds of hours and a massively complicated base.
I don't understand how that is a problem? The game development is bad because the devs are keeping the playerbase busy? Games aren't a race to the finish, but if you think otherwise, then why don't you just harken back to the days in which you launched rockets and claim you've won and it's over? I think if you spend 50 hours playing and don't launch a rocket, and you get bored at that point, you've gained 50 hours of fun.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

late post to this thread, but for the tutorial, how hard would it be to separate science use, so that a research doesnt need to have all the science packs in it, but rather, separate research factories running in parallel to full a single common queue that isnt the building itself.

so for instance, something requires red green and blue science x75, instead of a single progress bar on the research screen, there would be 3 progress bars that all had to be filled. and the science buildings would simply produce whatever they had resources for. so a building that only had red would produce 1 red point per cycle, while a building that had red/green/blue would produce 1 point of each per cycle. etc.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

HurkWurk wrote:so for instance, something requires red green and blue science x75, instead of a single progress bar on the research screen, there would be 3 progress bars that all had to be filled. and the science buildings would simply produce whatever they had resources for. so a building that only had red would produce 1 red point per cycle, while a building that had red/green/blue would produce 1 point of each per cycle. etc.
I like that idea. It solves the "every lab must have all the bottles" problem, while still making it desirable to do it anyway. This also opens up modding opportunities for specialized labs.

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

But either way you´d end up with - say 12 yellow needed to complete. Whether you use the other colours up right away or when the missing ones show up doesn´t really change anything.
It might simplify supplying bottles to the labs (by having dedicated labs for each colour), but even with all seven colours needed it is doable.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

theolderbeholder wrote:but even with all seven colours needed it is doable.
Sure it's "doable", but to a beginner it's probably pretty daunting, so it would "ease the learning curve". And with mods that add more packs it gets progressively more difficult.
(Not that i believe this is likely to happen at this stage of development. But as a thought experiement.)

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

As soon as you automate white flasks I´d say you are not a beginner anymore :D
edit: but yes, I get your point.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #245 - Campaign concept - Reddit post

Post by Omnifarious »

Someone made a really excellent Reddit post on this topic where they give a really detailed tutorial script. You might be able to mine it for ideas:

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... alysis_of/

SuicideJunkie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SuicideJunkie »

zOldBulldog wrote:Google "New Hope 4" and look at those that can't beat it. It is because it is a race against time, if you don't build the plane fast enough you can't stop the assaults.
My strategy was to kill all the biters, and then take a good long sit-back to build the plane.

It took a fair bit of reloading saves, a few cars, and some run & gun to clear out the open field, and then I bottled up the main hive with a turret wall.
Ended up doing a mix of all the classic strategies from other games; turret creep... snipe the spawners & leave the defenses... drive-by attack, repair faster than the spawner heals, repeat.

Return to “News”