Friday Facts #243 - New GUI tileset

Regular reports on Factorio development.

tk0421
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #243 - New GUI tileset

Post by tk0421 »

will it be layout customizable too? ive always wanted to move the toolbelt to the left or right side of the screen.

Yehn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yehn »

New GUI looks very slick.

masat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by masat »

A GUI mockup without Lorem Ipsum?!

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

The GUI style sheet is gorgeous. I’m digging the glow effects.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

My nön-Énglísh charáctérs:

a - á
e - é
i - í
o - óöő
u - úüű

By the way, what is the difference between a checkbox and a switch? When should I use a check box instead of a switch?

DeathMers
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DeathMers »

Last edited by DeathMers on Fri May 18, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeathMers
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DeathMers »

"Deleted post"
Last edited by DeathMers on Fri May 18, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Please, no device dependent coordinates

Post by Omnifarious »

Please, please stop measuring things, anything, in device dependent coordinates. Please stop using pixels. IMHO, nothing should ever surface pixels as a coordinate system, ever!

The use of pixels has caused enormous amounts of pain as people switch to 4k displays. They will cause enormous amounts of pain in the future when display technologies change again. Please stop using them. If you must, surface a 'DPI' configuration or something and have it operate at a very low level so coordinates used in almost all parts of the code do not depend on any details of the display like pixels.

We've known not to use pixels for literally decades, and yet people keep using them. Please stop.

Other than that, I like the new UI. :-)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Please, no device dependent coordinates

Post by kovarex »

Omnifarious wrote:Please, please stop measuring things, anything, in device dependent coordinates. Please stop using pixels. IMHO, nothing should ever surface pixels as a coordinate system, ever!

The use of pixels has caused enormous amounts of pain as people switch to 4k displays. They will cause enormous amounts of pain in the future when display technologies change again. Please stop using them. If you must, surface a 'DPI' configuration or something and have it operate at a very low level so coordinates used in almost all parts of the code do not depend on any details of the display like pixels.

We've known not to use pixels for literally decades, and yet people keep using them. Please stop.

Other than that, I like the new UI. :-)
1) DPI uses the inch. The imperial measure system should have been eridicated long time ago. It is so bad, it is known for decades, and yet still people use it. Please stop!
2) Well, as long as all the gui elements are scalable, it is not a problem. Currently, one pixel in the toolset is one pixel in 200% ui scale. Why would we specify some other unit like 1/63360 of mile to measure anything, if it doesn't rely in any way to the way it works. Pixels do.

Permittivity
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Permittivity »

You mention testing for non-Latin character sets. Does that include right-to-left languages? One of the interesting things I've learned over time about localization is that the direction and position of forward and back arrows are also reversed.

That means that confirm button would be on the left side instead of the right, and the arrow would likewise be reversed to point to the left.

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

Neat to see the new office. More pictures as everyone gets moved in!

I'm just glad to see that SOMEONE brought ketchup. I taught my nephews about a year ago to "have respect for ketchup".

meganothing
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by meganothing »

Hover and Press color could be more distinct.

Shouldn't the crafting button need small numbers too, for the amount of items producible with the backpack contents?

Serellyn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Serellyn »

Everything is very good

But the sliders, buttons, switches are too bright

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

kovarex wrote:1) DPI uses the inch. The imperial measure system should have been eridicated long time ago. It is so bad, it is known for decades, and yet still people use it. Please stop!
2) Well, as long as all the gui elements are scalable, it is not a problem. Currently, one pixel in the toolset is one pixel in 200% ui scale. Why would we specify some other unit like 1/63360 of mile to measure anything, if it doesn't rely in any way to the way it works. Pixels do.
Touché! :lol: I didn't know a better scale to put on your slider. Pixels per mm? Points might work, but after reading the Wikipedia page on them, there isn't really an international consensus on that unit either. I guess scalable pixels are good, but I still advocate for a device independent coordinate system.

NeilN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NeilN »

I've mentioned this before, but it'd be great if we could access the inventory screen via a mouse click. If you're working on the quickbar widget, the grey divider that separates the two sides of the bar is a perfect place to add that functionality...

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

you did a quite good job there Albert!

BUT DONT take me wrong here i highly recommend styleable gui´s. or at least moveable toolbars.
i am missing the trainset gui. where is that gone ? ff 222 or something you showed us?

amazing work please continue

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

kovarex wrote:Why would we specify some other unit like 1/63360 of mile to measure anything,
27/1063 of a meter

Jon8RFC wrote:Neat to see the new office. More pictures as everyone gets moved in!
Don't be too stalkerish now.
(I say as I lurk and silently view all posted photos from dev team.)

maniak1349
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by maniak1349 »

Will Editable displays replace current Line/Text Edits or is it a new separate entity? Regardless of that, from the incomplete information on the mockup one may assume couple of bad things about those, so I think some clarification is required.

Bad Things One May Assume:
1. Editable displays will require a full click to get access to the text. That means that to select part of the text you will need to press and release mouse button within control borders, then press again, drag and release. To me it sounds like a lot of needless extra work.
2. Original text will be removed on edit start and restored if you press Escape. This will render original text unreachable which will obviously hurt copy-pasting.

In terms of looks I really like this new UI - it looks both consistent and pleasant to eyes. Great job!

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

I just like the new design. Nice clear font type, nice colors, great!

The carpet looks fuzzy :D

Return to “News”