Friday Facts #243 - New GUI tileset

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Sigma1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #243 - New GUI tileset

Post by Sigma1 »

kovarex wrote:How could you read 1 as 7, when 7 is written like this? https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... tten_7.svg
We were actually also taught to write the seven like that, so the thing with one makes even less sense

Oh, and thanks to this thread all my future websites will be way more responsive
she/they

TheRaph
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheRaph »

kovarex wrote:
bobingabout wrote: 3. There's several things written on your white board there (and honestly, why would you show us a photo of the white board unless you wanted us to read it?), one of the things that caught my eye was a question mark of removing durability, and the pick. (There is no pick in the game, it's called a Mining axe!) Personally, my opinion on this is NOT to remove it, it offers a method of increasing mining speed, a method I might add that I make use of in my mods, by adding new tiers of mining axes. Something also exploited by the fact that I add ores of different hardness, so you need a higher tier mining axe if you want to be able to mine them by hand. Durability on the other hand, I am all for removing it.
Yes, research modifier would do the same thing, without having to care about the pick and its durability as it is only a small annoyance in the game.
Please let the pick in game. It is not logical to mine the ore by hand.
As I read that whiteboard I thought you will disable pick a ONLY for tutorial missions. - That might bee fine ... give it for free and remove durability so NP don't think they are in an other gene. But for real Game it should be there, with durability - it remembers the player that hand-mining is not a good idea ;)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Sigma1 wrote:
thereaverofdarkness wrote: People who write uppercase I and lowercase l the same are doing it out of brevity, and they tend to write the number 1 the same way.
Fun fact: in elementary school we were taught that you should write the number 1 without the little mark so it doesn't get confused with 7...
Needless to say, I started using the marks again the moment I got to a higher grade and had a different teacher.

What is it with people wanting to make symbols indistinguishable from each other?
A 1 is written as _|_. I find it odd that people complain about leaving off the tick at the top but nobody mentions the left out bar at the bottom.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

I don't know what it is with that design sample. Maybe the font is too large, or maybe it's because the font looks like everything is bold. But my first reaction to it was an inner rage about "sans" type font being almost unreadable compared to a proper "serif" font. So it would be really nice if we get to chose an option ;). Furthering that thought...moddable fonts could really help with some of the edgier issues of non-english language display.

I mean, the overall design concept looks nice. Though maybe a bit overdone on the de/embossing again? Made me think about what it might look like if instead of the "box" around an icon the actual icon was de/embossed. But ofc that would mean remaking all the icons ^_^''.

Btw i also hope all those shiny new things are easy to use for modders. Otherwise modded guis will stick out even more as ugly messes than they do now :P.

Atomicking74
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Atomicking74 »

40 percent capacity...
You guys must have some big plans in mind...

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

For the disabled confirmation and back buttons I would not use the embossed style. It is against my intuition, that when the button is disabled, it is also embossed like when it is pressed.

TaxiService
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TaxiService »

oh my god those gui elements look sexy af :Q
my mods and 'prints

Beuteschema
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Beuteschema »

why are there slider buttons AND switches?

Return to “News”