Friday Facts #53 Multikulti Mutliplayer

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #53 Multikulti Mutliplayer

Post by Drury »

The update can now simulate more than one logical game steps (up to 3 currently) without rendering it, to catch up with the time-schedule. This results in laggy (but not slowed) experience for the player with slower computer, but it doesn't slow down all the other players. This also means, that the low-fps mode is no longer needed, as it is automatically solved by this system as an side-effect.
I'm so glad you decided to take this approach! Planetary Annihilation just slows everyone down when a single guy plays on a toaster, and it's horrible.

By the way, as I understand, does this mean the game will no longer slow down in SP either, and will instead lower the FPS, like most games do?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Drury wrote:
The update can now simulate more than one logical game steps (up to 3 currently) without rendering it, to catch up with the time-schedule. This results in laggy (but not slowed) experience for the player with slower computer, but it doesn't slow down all the other players. This also means, that the low-fps mode is no longer needed, as it is automatically solved by this system as an side-effect.
I'm so glad you decided to take this approach! Planetary Annihilation just slows everyone down when a single guy plays on a toaster, and it's horrible.

By the way, as I understand, does this mean the game will no longer slow down in SP either, and will instead lower the FPS, like most games do?
Until some degree, once the udpate is too slow to be performed 60 times per second it will obviously slow down.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

that would be awesome, not slowing down (even for some degree). It is still awful that some people can not use my Warfare module without switching to Low Graphics Mode.
I tried lowering the graphics itself, but then they look awful ingame xD (lowered size in the files, and increased scale of the picture ingame.)

Can not wait for Multiplayer :P. Though i have a few questions about. How will it go with mods? Will they become client side? or Server side?
I think a few people also want to know this :P

BTW, 1000th Post 8-)
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Edit: I mix always modules and mods. :oops: Renamed modules to mods, sorry. :roll:

I think the mods distribution is the "next big thing" after finishing multiplayer.
What we need:
- mods repository, something, where the mods can be up- and downloaded(with versions, dependencies etc.) . Like the Linux distributions do with the rpm/apt or other compareable stuff.
- a web interface to look and search and
- the same also in-game. More or less the same, could be more spartanic if in-game.
- a search engine, the backend. Not only search for text, but also search mods with more than 4 stars. Or most downloaded. Such stuff.
- a database, which stores the information about mods, descriptions, screenshoots, links etc.
- an installer, or better a module organizer. Switch mods on and off. Configuration of modding-sets. And especially download needed mods in the right version, before you join another game.
- automatic mods updated.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

redfish71
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by redfish71 »

Currently when my computer saves the game it's unresponsive for about 2-3 seconds (despite having a quad core and SSD storage). What happens if different players in multiplayer start saving their games at different timepoints? Will we get number of players x 2-3 seconds every save interval of hanging multiplayer?

Kyoro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kyoro »

We will can create a servers or its jut self-hosted sesion?

shadoh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by shadoh »

We will can create a servers or its jut self-hosted sesion?
Much want. No idea how it would work on p2p.
Currently when my computer saves the game it's unresponsive for about 2-3 seconds (despite having a quad core and SSD storage). What happens if different players in multiplayer start saving their games at different timepoints? Will we get number of players x 2-3 seconds every save interval of hanging multiplayer?
Good point never thought of that before, but I would not be surprised if the Factorio devs have already thought of this. Maybe everyone saves at the same time? :D

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

redfish71 wrote:Currently when my computer saves the game it's unresponsive for about 2-3 seconds (despite having a quad core and SSD storage). What happens if different players in multiplayer start saving their games at different timepoints? Will we get number of players x 2-3 seconds every save interval of hanging multiplayer?
This is a really good point. I suppose everyone but the fastest player could disable autosaves.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

The devs already said they are planning to eliminate autosave lag. The plan is to track two game states at once, the "main" state being saved, and the "display" state with replay actions for the last 2-3 seconds applied. This also eliminates internet lag.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Anyway, will mods work in multiplayer? Provided they don't use math random (with unpredictable seed kinda).

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

cpy wrote:Anyway, will mods work in multiplayer? Provided they don't use math random (with unpredictable seed kinda).
The issue won't be math.random (it's been replaced by a deterministic version). I imagine mods would need to be changed to handle multiple player characters existing with the same force, (and eventually multiple 'player' forces).

Maybe Factorio can make the default game.player access go to the 'local' player and send performed script statements along with player action (like, inserted iron into player[1]), but if not mods that used control.lua would likely cause desyncs. Mods that only add new buildings/tech etc. would probably be fine (assuming everyone has all the same mods installed lol)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

FreeER wrote:
cpy wrote:Anyway, will mods work in multiplayer? Provided they don't use math random (with unpredictable seed kinda).
The issue won't be math.random (it's been replaced by a deterministic version). I imagine mods would need to be changed to handle multiple player characters existing with the same force, (and eventually multiple 'player' forces).

Maybe Factorio can make the default game.player access go to the 'local' player and send performed script statements along with player action (like, inserted iron into player[1]), but if not mods that used control.lua would likely cause desyncs. Mods that only add new buildings/tech etc. would probably be fine (assuming everyone has all the same mods installed lol)
I don't see a good reason why mods shouldn't work in multiplayer, as long as all the players have exactly the same mod setup (inlucding versions). This is actually checked when player is trying to connect a game already.

math.random uses now the deterministic map.random, so it is not a problem, neither should be the control.lua, as long as it doesn't do some of the problematic things.

Programmdude
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Programmdude »

I really appreciate how open you are with your development, it really shows a love for your community that most other companies just don't have. Keep up the good work, I look forward to playing factorio with friends.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

kovarex wrote:
FreeER wrote:

I don't see a good reason why mods shouldn't work in multiplayer, as long as all the players have exactly the same mod setup (inlucding versions). This is actually checked when player is trying to connect a game already.
Oh cool, so sending mods between peers basically confirmed for near future? :D

:D

:D

:?

paul42
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by paul42 »

I also wanted to chime in and say that I love the weekly updates! I think you guys are great and I eagerly await multiplayer! as a community, we should probably work out some meeting place for if people want to play with strangers (I've been lax in harassing my friends to get it) perhaps an IRC channel?

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

paul42 wrote:perhaps an IRC channel?
Well #factorio on irc.esper.net is the official irc channel.

Return to “News”