Price change

Regular reports on Factorio development.
vlan0
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Price change

Post by vlan0 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:58 am

brunzenstein wrote:I propose a subscription model with a unchanged price covering 12 months gaming starting with version 0.17.00 and securing subscribers all further updates.
With a grace period for existing users (payed games) of 3 months.
Current user after 3 months unwilling to join in will remain and stay with version 16.xx but will not be able to enjoy the benefits of further updates.

Subscribers unwilling to renew after 12 months will stay the same - with the version active at the time when their subscription ended - also unlimited.
Download new version and crack(keygen) on TPB :lol:

User avatar
lottery248
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:41 am
Contact:

Re: Price change

Post by lottery248 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:06 am

dasiro wrote:subscriptions are a hideous milking cow that will scare gamers away, rather then bond them to the game. Since the devs don't care a bout the .99 marketing scam and there's also a non-steam version, this will never happen. They're old-school and honest towards their public, which is a big part of the charm this team has together with their accessibility
an explicit 'plus one(+1)' is given. subscription will get me mad on paying, ie i might result in inability to play for late subscription payment. what about server subscription? ie corporation side server hosting will be better? this should also solve the matter of not enough fund to host mod portal.



i don't like this price hike even though it is reasonable and i have already bought this game, $20 is really enough which can lead the first ever release more attractive than ever. $30 for newer player will not be great as there are not yet all the way open ended except finishing the game like minecraft as an example. keeping the price might raise the ability to compete with other gaming companies for better income.

FYI it is HKD$100 ($12.756) right now here, don't wanna see it will be at least HKD$200 or even HKD$300 later on.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 7291
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 am
Contact:

Re: Price change

Post by kovarex » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:50 pm

I also wouldn't like subscription as a player, so I wouldn't impose it on others as well.
Providing reasonably big paid expansion pack would be very similar to subscription money-wise, but much less hateable way of getting more money from people who already bought the game, if we wanted to do so.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:40 am

Re: Price change

Post by Ghoulish » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:10 pm

lottery248 wrote: i don't like this price hike even though it is reasonable and i have already bought this game, $20 is really enough which can lead the first ever release more attractive than ever. $30 for newer player will not be great as there are not yet all the way open ended except finishing the game like minecraft as an example. keeping the price might raise the ability to compete with other gaming companies for better income.

FYI it is HKD$100 ($12.756) right now here, don't wanna see it will be at least HKD$200 or even HKD$300 later on.
I can't see how you feel $30 is too much for a game like Factorio. Far Cry 5 ships at around $70, for the base game, their gold version is $100 odd.. And I'm willing to bet that for those players where Factorio clicks with them, then they'll still be playing Factorio when Far Cry 6 is released.. $30 is very reasonable considering the value you get from a game which has such great replay ability.
kovarex wrote:I also wouldn't like subscription as a player, so I wouldn't impose it on others as well.
Providing reasonably big paid expansion pack would be very similar to subscription money-wise, but much less hate able way of getting more money from people who already bought the game, if we wanted to do so.
I'm glad you see subscription as a scourge :) Expansion packs would be the way forward, the only consideration for me would be ensuring that there is great additional content, considering your track record in this, you can consider me as signed up for the expansion should it come. Please do release expansion(s) There are so many awesome ideas floating around that should be in Factorio, but there just isn't the time to add them!

User avatar
Pyrii
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Price change

Post by Pyrii » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:39 am

My personal feeling is that £25 and above is a little high, honestly at £20 it'd be a must-buy for what the game offers. It's a weird balance with indie games. I've only played Factorio a couple of times because I prefer to play with friends, but it's hard to justify that cost for a game they might not enjoy the same way I do.

I feel like the new price is going to be a big barrier to bringing in an audience, especially as many of my friends are struggling to pay their £8 FFXIV sub, let alone pay over 3 times that for a game they aren't sure will appeal to them. And do I want to fork out that money for a game they might only play once or twice?

I'm all for the Factorio devs getting what the game deserves. But if this is going to be a final price with no sales, then they need to think long term and I believe this will become a sore point.

This topic puts me in a bind as you can see, my feeling is somewhere between £20-25 with £20 being no-brainer purchase, and £25 being difficult to justify.

User avatar
steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Price change

Post by steinio » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:38 am

Pyrii wrote:My personal feeling is that £25 and above is a little high, honestly at £20 it'd be a must-buy for what the game offers. It's a weird balance with indie games. I've only played Factorio a couple of times because I prefer to play with friends, but it's hard to justify that cost for a game they might not enjoy the same way I do.

I feel like the new price is going to be a big barrier to bringing in an audience, especially as many of my friends are struggling to pay their £8 FFXIV sub, let alone pay over 3 times that for a game they aren't sure will appeal to them. And do I want to fork out that money for a game they might only play once or twice?

I'm all for the Factorio devs getting what the game deserves. But if this is going to be a final price with no sales, then they need to think long term and I believe this will become a sore point.

This topic puts me in a bind as you can see, my feeling is somewhere between £20-25 with £20 being no-brainer purchase, and £25 being difficult to justify.
There is a demo which everyone can try before buy.
Image
Transport Belt Repair Man
My little mods: Link | My favourite mods: Bob's Mods | Angel's Mods | Yuoki Railway Core | EvoGUI | Logistic Train Network
Factorio Cheat Sheet by Denis Zholob

View unread Posts

tops
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:41 pm
Contact:

DONT CHANGE THE PRICE

Post by tops » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:45 pm

Factorio devs
i love the demo ive played it all the way through. And i'd love to buy and play the game but if you change the price to 30 $ i cant afford it. :cry: But i know as the game gets polished it needs to cost more i get it. But cant it wait til next month so i can buy it

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1968
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: DONT CHANGE THE PRICE

Post by Jap2.0 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:11 am

tops wrote:Factorio devs
i love the demo ive played it all the way through. And i'd love to buy and play the game but if you change the price to 30 $ i cant afford it. :cry: But i know as the game gets polished it needs to cost more i get it. But cant it wait til next month so i can buy it
Just buy it now.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Price change

Post by Mr. Tact » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Frankly I'm surprised to see so many people unhappy with the change. Especially since it is likely you all have the game already. The game is easily worth $30.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

bulldog98
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:40 am
Contact:

Re: Price change

Post by bulldog98 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Mr. Tact wrote:Frankly I'm surprised to see so many people unhappy with the change. Especially since it is likely you all have the game already. The game is easily worth $30.
I am also puzzled why people complain about the 30 bucks. That is still around <1 cent per hour played for most people :D

User avatar
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Price change

Post by Oktokolo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:39 am

bulldog98 wrote:I am also puzzled why people complain about the 30 bucks. That is still around <1 cent per hour played for most people :D
I too don't get that. The mandatory addiction treatment after prolonged use of Factorio certainly is a lot more costly than the 30 bucks spent on the drug.

Tankh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Price change

Post by Tankh » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Ok so it looks like they ended up picking some sort of compromise?

Image

EDIT: Ok it seems they chose to separate the $ and € now

Image

EDIT2: And this is why:
Image
Technically us Europeans still overpay :D
Last edited by Tankh on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 3621
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Price change

Post by Klonan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Tankh wrote:Ok so it looks like they ended up picking some sort of compromise?

Image
$30 == €25

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 1878
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:20 am
Contact:

Re: Price change

Post by Bilka » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:32 pm

Klonan wrote:
Tankh wrote:Ok so it looks like they ended up picking some sort of compromise?

Image
$30 == €25
Wow, nice to see that we europeans no longer overpay. Steamdb says that the dollar price is 29.99 though, that feels wrong.

Image
Last edited by Bilka on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Tankh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Price change

Post by Tankh » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Klonan wrote:$30 == €25
Ah yes, just noticed on steamdb.info

I just assumed it would be same number since it used to be $20 == €20 =)

User avatar
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 3621
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Price change

Post by Klonan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Bilka wrote:
Klonan wrote:
Tankh wrote:Ok so it looks like they ended up picking some sort of compromise?

Image
$30 == €25
Wow, nice to see that we europeans no longer overpay. Steamdb says that the dollar price is 29.99 though, that feels wrong.

Image
Steam system only allowed us to input set values, so we put in $29.99 and I emailed them asking to bump it to $30.00, which they should get around to soon

The non-dollar prices could be set manually, so they are nice and round as they should be

dillydadally
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:24 pm
Contact:

Price increase today?! I can't believe my luck :(

Post by dillydadally » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:30 pm

I've wanted this game for forever. It's been on the top of my steam wishlist at #1. At first I was waiting for a sale and then found out this game doesn't have sales. Then I decided I'd get it for my birthday. I asked for a Steam gift card for my birthday, which was just a few days ago, and got a $20 steam gift card reserved just for this game. I went online today excited to finally buy Factorio only to find out it was $30! I couldn't believe my eyes! So I look online, only to find out if I had of bought it yesterday, I could have gotten it!

I understand the game is worth that, but boy, how can my luck be so bad? I just made this post so I had some friends to cry with. Cry with me please?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1968
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: Price increase today?! I can't believe my luck :(

Post by Jap2.0 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:09 am

dillydadally wrote:I've wanted this game for forever. It's been on the top of my steam wishlist at #1. At first I was waiting for a sale and then found out this game doesn't have sales. Then I decided I'd get it for my birthday. I asked for a Steam gift card for my birthday, which was just a few days ago, and got a $20 steam gift card reserved just for this game. I went online today excited to finally buy Factorio only to find out it was $30! I couldn't believe my eyes! So I look online, only to find out if I had of bought it yesterday, I could have gotten it!

I understand the game is worth that, but boy, how can my luck be so bad? I just made this post so I had some friends to cry with. Cry with me please?
*cries*
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

User avatar
steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Price increase today?! I can't believe my luck :(

Post by steinio » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:35 am

dillydadally wrote:I've wanted this game for forever. It's been on the top of my steam wishlist at #1. At first I was waiting for a sale and then found out this game doesn't have sales. Then I decided I'd get it for my birthday. I asked for a Steam gift card for my birthday, which was just a few days ago, and got a $20 steam gift card reserved just for this game. I went online today excited to finally buy Factorio only to find out it was $30! I couldn't believe my eyes! So I look online, only to find out if I had of bought it yesterday, I could have gotten it!

I understand the game is worth that, but boy, how can my luck be so bad? I just made this post so I had some friends to cry with. Cry with me please?
It was in the news everywhere for weeks so it's your own fault.
Image
Transport Belt Repair Man
My little mods: Link | My favourite mods: Bob's Mods | Angel's Mods | Yuoki Railway Core | EvoGUI | Logistic Train Network
Factorio Cheat Sheet by Denis Zholob

View unread Posts

PeaceDealer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Price change

Post by PeaceDealer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:58 am

How many of the prices can you guys set?

It seems plenty of countries get a much better deal on this.

Image

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users