Friday Facts #218 - Import bpy, Export player

Regular reports on Factorio development.
tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #218 - Import bpy, Export player

Post by tehfreek »

Koliat wrote:If they are going to support multiple providers, they would have to create an abstract layer of code, make sure every provider works in similar way, and add a lot more coding to that. Or at least that's how I imagine this would be done ;)
Not such a terrible idea. That way it may be possible to support it on Linux, which has almost no vendor-provided coloring APIs.

Bedders
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bedders »

Koliat wrote:As for all other Corsair or MSI, it might not be that easy. Razer provides a piece of code instructions (SDK) that enables manipulating color on devices making this a trivial task - the same would have to be provided by Corsair and others, given guys at Factorio have enough time. Maybe they could offload that to an intern ;). If they are going to support multiple providers, they would have to create an abstract layer of code, make sure every provider works in similar way, and add a lot more coding to that. Or at least that's how I imagine this would be done ;)
Logitech provide it. https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/developers I don't think that Corsair do, I found a few threads on Battle.Net forums that seems to indicate a general lack of available API's.

I've been playing Factorio since before the Friday Facts were around. I've read every single one when it came out (y'know, I have no life). This is one of the best yet - another player model update :)
PC | Intel i7 4770k | 2 x GTX 780 | 16GB RAM | 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 8TB of HDDs | Asus Xonar Essence ST | Sennheiser G4Me Zero headset | Logitech G15 v2

Z0ul0u25
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Z0ul0u25 »

Personally, my favorite colour is yellow and I don't like the "new" yellow on the player :|

Alice3173
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alice3173 »

_Shin_ wrote:the colors are looking very 'washed out' in the updated version. The saturation in the .15 images look way better. Obviously the pixel count looks much better in the new version but the colors (to me) take away from that stride forward and act as a step back.

I'm not a programmer or graphic artist, so without knowing why using 1.0 alpha is bad, all I know is it looks faded. Honestly even if that article attempted to explain why, or if it was explained why, I will as a player just think it looks like weak, washed out, faded colors comparatively speaking.
The only real issue with 1.0 alpha is how dark it is. The saturation at 1.0 is definitely better. The real issue sounds like it'd be 0.0 alpha instead which from the description makes it sound like things that should be in shadow would sort of glow. Personally I think they should allow use of the alpha slider but with an warning about the possible side effects.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

I would like to take this opportunity to ask modders to keep this in mind, as I have noticed multiple mods using 1.0 Alpha values in colour mask tint. The Alpha is black magic, keep it at 0.5 please.
If the functionality of your "alpha" is not the same as the alpha-channel to set opacity (0=transparent, 1=opaque), then there's no wonder modders might set it to 1.0 to set a color to full opacity, especially in the context of RGB-colors.
Name it "epsilon" (for RGBE) or something else, or better, make "alpha" alpha again.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I so badly want space endgame :D
Also damn, that's a lot of rendering!

Rocksen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rocksen »

40 hours to render just the player's animations? are you not using your GPU? why have 21 scenes that's pointless. nice scripts but i feel most of that is unneeded.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

Rocksen wrote:40 hours to render just the player's animations? are you not using your GPU? why have 21 scenes that's pointless. nice scripts but i feel most of that is unneeded.
Amount of scenes doesn't really influence rendering times as each of them renders individually. It's just for organizing in having 1 animation in each scene. We are using GPU, in fact 1080Ti hybrids from EVGA. It's simply 4000 sprites in 5 RenderLayers. That's 20 000 images to sample in 768x768px. Of course a bit part of it is alpha which gets skipped, but still. It's simply a lot of frames.

If you count it, it's just about 8,3 minutes per frame on average. With 1000 samples that's not too bad with all the geometry and amount of textures.

Aardwolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aardwolf »

ske wrote:
FasterJump wrote: Artifacts confirmed!

You know what else is confirmed?
Half life 3?

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

I love the new purple! Thank you!

Razer is on my blacklist after treating me terribly after purchasing their products. I hope to see support for others, such as Logitech.
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

Tev
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tev »

Alice3173 wrote:
_Shin_ wrote:the colors are looking very 'washed out' in the updated version. The saturation in the .15 images look way better. Obviously the pixel count looks much better in the new version but the colors (to me) take away from that stride forward and act as a step back.

I'm not a programmer or graphic artist, so without knowing why using 1.0 alpha is bad, all I know is it looks faded. Honestly even if that article attempted to explain why, or if it was explained why, I will as a player just think it looks like weak, washed out, faded colors comparatively speaking.
The only real issue with 1.0 alpha is how dark it is. The saturation at 1.0 is definitely better. The real issue sounds like it'd be 0.0 alpha instead which from the description makes it sound like things that should be in shadow would sort of glow. Personally I think they should allow use of the alpha slider but with an warning about the possible side effects.
This is really subjective, I think most colors look better in alpha-0.5. But some dark ones (especially black) might use a bit higher alpha(?) or simply something to make them more rich / darker.

quadrox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by quadrox »

Blue, green, and red cars look WAAYYY better at alpha 1.0 than 0.5.

Please let players select alpha values - if something looks bad we can always pick a different alpha value. I don't want to be limited to those super-pale colors.

Other than that, excellent FFF, thank you very much for all your great work!

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Aardwolf wrote:
ske wrote:
FasterJump wrote: Artifacts confirmed!

You know what else is confirmed?
Half life 3?
Cold, very cold. Unlike what I mean. That's very warm and welcoming. I won't say no more.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Akato wrote:
ske wrote:Do you open up your rendering pipeline for modders?

While factorio seems to easy to mod by code, adding graphics can be challenging and getting them right is very hard. Your graphics look great but other people probably need some example objects with a working source to have a chance to get to the same level.
There's a "Modded to Vanilla" graphics conversion mod for Angel's and Bob's mods that acts as a great source for that if you need one right now
Could you please point me to it. I found some things but I'm not sure if it's exactly what you mean.

What I saw is that people usually add a new tint or color blotches to existing graphics when they create graphics for new items. The quality I found varies from "meh" to quite good. Some people make 3D models that look quite good on their own. I'm mainly worried about the last step. Going from a good 3D model to making it fit in the game seamlessly. If the original source of the graphics and the rendering pipeline would be available (under whatever license that works) the modders could quite easily extend existing models by modifying the 3D-objects or placing their own models in the scene.

If you think of factorio as a game engine it would actually make sense to open it up widely for modders (or even companies) to extend it.

TheRaph
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheRaph »

Please let the playe choose the alpha. Dark colors looks mutch better with alpha 1.0

basementjack
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by basementjack »

I would totally buy a new keyboard if it changed colors when stuff was happening in the game!

Do you know if any of those Razor keyboards work with Mac?

bergi9
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bergi9 »

Omarflyjoemacky wrote:
Bart wrote:
ChurchOrganist wrote:So does this mean you will provide support for changing colours on the Logitech Gaming Devices eventually??

It would be cool for my G13 gamepad to react to events in Factorio :)
I second that.
Third.
Fourth.
Btw: I'm using G910 keyboard and G502 mouse.

xeln4g4
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xeln4g4 »

such a nice and informing FFF! Thank you for nice reading

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

TheRaph wrote:Please let the playe choose the alpha. Dark colors looks mutch better with alpha 1.0
You still can change the alpha, these are only default colors :)

Alyssa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alyssa »

I'm really impressed on all the work you guys doing for the next version, keep the good work :mrgreen:

Return to “News”