Friday Facts #214 - Concrete rendering

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #214 - Concrete rendering

Post by FactorioParadox »

The point of concrete is to be a relatively flat surface for utility purposes; The ground looks flatter than that and it does not look like something I would want to put a heavy machine on because the ground is so uneven I feel that any large objects placed on it could fall over. In fact, I bet you that if you put something such as Conveyor belts on it it would look really weird.

tenim
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tenim »

i also liked the old style concrete much more. me new one are simply bricks in a row.
any yes, concrete is flat, allways.

please devs, leave the old concrete and make this "concrete 2" if you must.

SuicideJunkie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SuicideJunkie »

Great cobblestone.
But it makes the tier 1 runway in KSP look smooth and drivable in comparison.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

SuicideJunkie wrote:Great cobblestone.
But it makes the tier 1 runway in KSP look smooth and drivable in comparison.
Steady. I have lost many planes to that infernal patch of land. :evil:

DataRaider
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DataRaider »

Love the new texture, but not as a concrete floor. It looks more like cinder brick done very badly. The current texture is more inline with a factory floor.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

i don't want to lose ability to use concrete as a grid to count game tiles. :(

perhaps add another surface type with those graphics? concrete pavers.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

impetus maximus wrote:i don't want to lose ability to use concrete as a grid to count game tiles. :(

perhaps add another surface type with those graphics? concrete pavers.
Or maybe an ingame tool? Like in Terraria, you have tool belt and measuring tape to help with building on the grid.We already have awesome night vision, maybe another upgrade, a holo projector that projects grid and always shows electricity coverage...

RaviorMetal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RaviorMetal »

Linux_user404 wrote:Well, I just want to let you know how the real concrete looks like. There are tiles AND it is on the same level as everything else.

None of these images have anything in common with the World of Factorio. There, things are rather done rough and simply put on top of the ground, like a pavement. All your images are from clean, modern places. Is Factorio that way? No. It's a rusty, rough, old looking world that can totally be scary sometimes, but since the machinery in it works, it gets the feeling of trustworthness.

No one in this world would care so much and level pathing with the nearby terrain. Also on your pictures there are big blocks of concrete which are multiple square meters in size. Tiles are something completely different. They are made out of ceramic and most of the time far smaller than a square meter.

Certh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Certh »

I'd like plantable trees so we can actually make designs like the one shown in the screenshot

Sonik-HSC
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sonik-HSC »

The new concreet is ugly its loocks another type of stone floor......... but in the picture there is some bugs... some plants in the midle of croncrete floor...... :(
And at a lot of time i want to say this... " The devs Fix more bugs faster than shooting ducks" :D Keep the nice work

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

I'm sorry but the new concrete looks a little bit too cartoony. Also it does not look like concrete, more like some sort brick wall that got a black and white filter on it. Yes, it looks more like a wall than a floor to me.

I would not expect something that looks like cartoon stone bricks on a concrete floor. Also if you do a google search for concrete floor texture, you don' t really run into bricks on a very high percentage of your results.

But this is the logic of a game that had a diesel locomotive that actually consumed wood and rocket fuel so why not :D

Anyways, I don't mind if you go with it, as what I really want is a fast 0.16. Visuals-wise I can get accustomed to whatever. But no, this does not look optimal I'm sorry to say.

But looking at the big picture... it's not a big deal. Hardly even a thing. if one texture on a game like this looks like something I don't like, who cares. Keep it, replace it, whatever. I will still keep playing.

Davy Crockett
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Davy Crockett »

Just give the new concrete a small chance to make you stumble or flip and destroy your car for every second you travel on it

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

torham wrote: Or maybe an ingame tool? Like in Terraria, you have tool belt and measuring tape to help with building on the grid.We already have awesome night vision, maybe another upgrade, a holo projector that projects grid and always shows electricity coverage...
well we have the grid option when the game is paused. i just like using concrete when sharing screenshots of creations.
but i'm sure others also use it when planing a build.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

The new temple floorings are great and absurdly pretty.

But we need something ugly for our factories too. Please add something flat, grey and industrial-looking too.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

I have to admit the "garden" screenshot looks really pretty. And i've always loved the hexagonal stone path with border for some nice decorations. For the actual screen-filling factory floor i - like many others - would prefer something unintrusive, somewhat bright colored and high in contrast to all the machinery - something like the old concrete. I never felt the "grid" feature doesn't fit the 45° projection, but i don't really have any opinion about that. It would be interesting to see different sized grids in an actual factory though (e.g large 8x8 sized concrete plates vs smaller 2x2 ones).

TL;DR:
+1 for keep old concrete, but i still want the new one too :D
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

DeckardCain860
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DeckardCain860 »

Love FFF posts. I get excited every Friday. I am going to jump on the bandwagon here and say that the new concrete texture looks much to rough and uneven for me.

That being said, I MUST have that texture as the new stone path texture. It has always felt odd to me that stone bricks are a rectangular, gray.... well... brick, but then you lay them on the ground and they're hexagonal tiles. That new concrete texture, to me at least, screams "hand-laid, rectangular stone bricks."
I do like the new concrete transitions, but as some have stated already, in my mind concrete is clean-cut and rigid and sterile and even. I think fairly abrupt edges are right for it. (not like perfect pixel edges, but smoothed just EVER so slightly)

Please oh please make that texture the one for stone tiles, though. I love it.

Trudel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Trudel »

Really nice on the aesthetic side, but doesn't look like concrete at all, more like a badly paved sidewalk. ;-) You'd have a hard time walking or driving faster on it in that state. Even if you consider the makeshift feel of Factorio it wouldn't make sense.

Should be in the game though, maybe as stone path if you smooth the edges a bit.
My wife says I only have to faults: I don't listen and something else.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

I love the renderings. This enables quite nice aestetics for making games and scenarios in factorio. I'd appreciate if you could find a way to let artists monetize on making factorio game maps/scenarios. With the factorio engine there really is something that could grow big.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

Oktokolo wrote:The new temple floorings are great and absurdly pretty.

But we need something ugly for our factories too. Please add something flat, grey and industrial-looking too.
Nice one Centurion, like it, like it :D

PurpleGreen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PurpleGreen »

as long as i have the asphalt mod .... ( dear asphalt mod creator , please make asphalt rails , too ! !!!! ! )

so yes , the new texture looks nice but i dont see myself using it at all. it doesnt resemble a " factory" floor at all. maybe as 1 tile wide path between flower beds .
i also want the old stone path to still be in .16.

i believe the best , most satisfying way wold be to NOT REMOVE the old path textures. make them work with the new mechanic , but keep them. we need more , more and more floor/path/ground textures anyway , so removing the old for new textures would not be the best thing to do.

KEEP (ALL) THE OLD and ADD THE NEW

Return to “News”