Friday Facts #214 - Concrete rendering

Regular reports on Factorio development.
leitk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #214 - Concrete rendering

Post by leitk »

My first thought was, I'd better check the date because this looks like an 'April Fools' joke...

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

I would suggest to use the new concrete graphics as bricks.

New bricks graphics as cobblestone (smaller bonus but made from stone, not bricks).

And make a proper "flat featureless industrial grey" concrete with sharp (not blurred!) hazard painting.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

That last pic... LET US PLANT TREES!!!

How can we send rockets to space but can't grow a tree?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Avezo wrote:That last pic... LET US PLANT TREES!!!

How can we send rockets to space but can't grow a tree?
I don't know... maybe because you polluted the planet top nearly uninhabitable levels in the process of making that rocket :)?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

What you created there is a fantastic looking cobblestone floor, but I wouldn't want to put heavy machinery on top of something that uneven.
Even the loading zone of a factory has a smooth concrete or asphalt surface .

Early highways in Austrian where built with large concrete blocks. I like how the current concrete looks almost identical to it.
Having the concrete blocks oriented to the grid also helps designing without constantly having to turn on the ugly grid.

It takes some decades for it to look like this. I somewhat doubt many games last long enough for concrete to deteriorate this much. ;)

Also as others mentioned painted hazard concrete should have sharp edges. Any markings on streets are either paint, or more recently plastic tape smelted into surface.

Bizz Keryear
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bizz Keryear »

There are a few issues.
The new "concrete" does certainly look great ... and I would like to keep it as well ... but since it doesn't look like concrete* (as only one reason) not for the cost of the current one.

I get that you want to hide the tiles, but
Sometimes you DO want to have tiles. Maybe for measurements, mostly to give it a more industrial look.
And hard edges are also sometimes desired as well.

So I will basically conclude what many did*²:
Add the new, but keep the old ... maybe with a slightly updated texture. But keep that simple, flat, and a tile.

*²=To be clear I did had this opinion right after reading the blog and before reading any posts here ... what I have read here is that the majority agrees with me.
  • -> Some hate the new and want keep the old and don't want the new at all.
  • -> Some hate the ones who hate the new, and they want the new one asap.
  • -> And many want to have both. (which would probably also satisfy most of both groups above ... well except haters, cause haters gonna hate)

Aervanath
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Aervanath »

Everyone above has pretty much summed up my reaction to the concrete: "Pretty but that's not concrete".

raidho36
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by raidho36 »

I work at the factory currently and I used to live in location where the only type of pavement was prefabricated concrete slabs (yes no asphalt, no stone paths, either dirt or concrete, nothing in between). The two defining features of concrete floor and pavement are:
1) it is FLAT
2) it is GRID, if it's made of prefabricated concrete blocks rather than being cast into shape in place

When I first read the beginning of article I thought you'd make solid concrete texture with big or small features on it like on terrain. When I first saw the new concrete graphics I thought it was stone path, in fact I had to re-read it a couple of times to grasp that it's supposed to be concrete floor. It looks nothing like concrete. Do you guys even know what concrete floor looks like? Have you ever been at a factory or drove on concrete paved road? You should have, should have taken a day off to visit concrete paved locations, for inspiration and reference, then you would've made natural looking concrete. It's like when people who never touched a gun try and design a gun and turns out to look utterly preposterous to anyone with a sliver of gun knowledge. What's the fallacy called, when you assume something must be good just because you put a lot of effort into making it? I've fallen victim to it a fair few times, but if I made it worse than it used to be, I acknowledge it in the end and either do a better job or revert it. The previous graphics looked nice, it could've used more variety and attention to detail but otherwise it was perfect. As I mentioned, I originally thought you made seamless solid concrete texture, and I suggest you do just that. Bonus points for adding ability to choose between seamless and gridded concrete.

edited a few times because not all of the thought came before I would post it

FrenchDeath
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FrenchDeath »

Made some quick test on substance to make a how i would see concrete texture, tried to keep as close to factorio style, having 3 version :

I can also provide heighMap, Normal map, and even roughness map if needed

RaviorMetal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RaviorMetal »

I'm reffering to the FFF-Post.

I like it. It matches the rough look of Factorio very well.
And the screenshot at the bottom looks fantastic!

RaviorMetal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RaviorMetal »

FrenchDeath wrote:Made some quick test on substance to make a how i would see concrete texture, tried to keep as close to factorio style, having 3 version :

I can also provide heighMap, Normal map, and even roughness map if needed

Those are tiles. And sorry but the designers of course know their own ways to create content. You don't need to provide them anything ;)

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

wow, this looks amazing, really really cool. Will this change be merged into low res textures? My laptop sucks pretty bad:(

stootachtig
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by stootachtig »

That last picture is absolutely stunning! bonus points to whoever designed it. But the concrete does not look like actual concrete. It rather looks like a proper stone brick floor, not really the 'industrial concrete' you would expect in this game. I understand you don't want it to be completely featureless, but this is a bit too uneven and busy for what should be a flat floor.

mathturtle
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mathturtle »

Lav wrote:I would suggest to use the new concrete graphics as bricks.

New bricks graphics as cobblestone (smaller bonus but made from stone, not bricks).

And make a proper "flat featureless industrial grey" concrete with sharp (not blurred!) hazard painting.
I like this idea. +1

Mango
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mango »

mathturtle wrote:

I like this idea. +1
+1 for me too.
Hm.... so we have a mystery donor... intriguing.

TheRaph
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheRaph »

I like this idea.

New brick graphic looks more like cobble stone. Why not let us lay down some "stones" to get a cobble stone road (with new brick-graphic) and use the ne fancy brick-like concrete graphic for brickstone. And then add new flat gray concrete (with 3D effects at the edge) as concrete.
For players who like black places you may also add asphalt or bitumen as byproduct on oil processing.
And wooden way's may also be a nice idea ...

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

I hope the warning strip blurring can be turned off, since I use the stripes to mark resource drop points...
Attachments
factorio.jpg
factorio.jpg (56.43 KiB) Viewed 8223 times

Linux_user404
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Linux_user404 »

Well, I just want to let you know how the real concrete looks like. There are tiles AND it is on the same level as everything else.
Concrete for people
Concrete for cars
Smooth Bricks
Concrete, grass, bricks and pavement
Bricks for cars
Bricks for people

HalfPastZulu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HalfPastZulu »

I have to admit when I first saw the images of the new concrete I thought it was a new stone path graphic. I am willing to try it though :) It may be that I am so used to the current graphic that I just cannot imagine well enough how nice this may look once in game. I suppose I'll have to play around with it before I make any judgments!

One thing I am concerned about though is the functionality of concrete in general. Moreover, I really wish concrete would destroy resources under it after being placed or at the very least hide it.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

To somewhat chime into people sayint it doesn't look like a real concrete - the issue is even deeper IMO. Factorio really needs more 'decorative' stuff baked into vanilla.

Return to “News”