Friday Facts #212 - The GUI update (Part 1)

Regular reports on Factorio development.
taikodragon
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #212 - The GUI update (Part 1)

Post by taikodragon »

SimHacker wrote:
taikodragon wrote: I'm sorry, I must concede you're right. I feel like that makes ORs very hard to effectively use because they operate on an unequal level to ANDs. I can't think of a programming language where ANDs and ORs are not of the same precedent.
C?

http://en.cppreference.com/w/c/language ... precedence

11 && Logical AND

12 || Logical OR

And all C derivatives like C++, Java, C#, JavaScript, PHP, etc... But PHP got the associativity of ?: wrong (it should be right-to-left but the genius PHP designer guessed left-to-right and didn't bother to look it up to be sure, and now it's too late to change), so be careful.
You're right, although in testing it in C# I found mentally I was parsing it by associativity instead of precedence. I'm actually not sure of a situation where precedence of && and || would come into play since I feel associativity would take care of essentially all cases, and you're right I haven't author many conditions that didn't use parens to be completely clear.

Sente
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sente »

One small change to the GUI to make things a bit better would be changing the order of the pop-up notifications in the bottom of the screen. As it is, I like to mouse-over and see when there are logistic/construction insufficiencies. But it gets annoying when it continually moves over because of combat notifications (how many turrents are engaged, etc.). Since the notification for turrets engaging enemies pops up pretty frequently, it keeps interrupting my reading of how many items are needed. A small change like this would help to reduce those little headaches.

TRUEpicness
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TRUEpicness »

Tomik wrote:Like [Marcus] 猛虎爆進拳 proposed on Steam, I support his motion to add an Alternate Skin option for the GUI..for those of us who love the Fallout-y look of the game:

Original:

Idea:

RUST SKIN FTW! :D
lol i know its an accident but that rusty solid fuel tho
1 more YouTube vid before bed *starts 24hr long vid*

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

jockeril wrote:I must agree with my fellow Hebrew translator - Dev-il, that R-T-L support is needed (and command him for stellar work in translating the game, within the current limits)
Thank you, good sir! :)
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

The new train GUI looks nice. But there seems to be quite a bit of space wasted.

Every single train stop on the schedule will have an "add condition button", each taking up space. Most of my train schedules only have one empty/full condition so the add buttons will take up 50% of the space. The button should be just a "+" icon somewhere to the side, not take up a full line on its own.

Next you don't want to always add a condition or train stop at the end. Sometimes you want to insert them at the start or in the middle. Or change the order of existing conditions and train stops.

Last the AND/OR thing. The current linear list is confusing and hard to use for complex conditions. Why not make them a tree?

Code: Select all

Item count > 10
      AND
     / +   2s idle
    /
OR
+   \
      200s idle
Notice that I placed a "+" below the OR and AND. This would add a condition to that operator. A station with just one condition could have just a "+" sign in place of the top level operator. And when you add a second condition the default operator shows.

Unknow0059
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Unknow0059 »

This looks fantastic.

But well, it's just a mockup. I'll have to wait and see it in-game, hopefully everything translates well.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

maybe some fancier designs? :ugeek: :roll:

I dont really like shape of the gui because of buttons sticking out of the main window.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

JimBarracus wrote:I dont really like shape of the gui because of buttons sticking out of the main window.
I feel the same way. tabs are fine, but either all along the top or all down one side. And either way, they should be internal to the dialog frame, and not stick out from it.

Codemaster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Codemaster »

Sorry if somebody has already suggested this, but it would be nice if you could save some color presets for the locomotives (and other colorable entities).
For example my iron ore trains all are colored in some blueish color, if i create a new train i have to remember the RGB values of that color.
(I know that I can copy and paste the color of exisiting trains, but for that I have to go to that train to do it. It also copies the schedule as well, which is not what I want.)

Thanks.

TRUEpicness
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TRUEpicness »

you could the mod 'train ore colour'
it works with bobs and angels
1 more YouTube vid before bed *starts 24hr long vid*

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Codemaster wrote:Sorry if somebody has already suggested this, but it would be nice if you could save some color presets for the locomotives (and other colorable entities).
For example my iron ore trains all are colored in some blueish color, if i create a new train i have to remember the RGB values of that color.
(I know that I can copy and paste the color of exisiting trains, but for that I have to go to that train to do it. It also copies the schedule as well, which is not what I want.)

Thanks.
You can copy the train color to a train station and then from the train station back to a train.

Mgis09
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mgis09 »

Still waiting impatiently for the train hijacking. Please, pretty please, push anything into the experimentals, maybe.

Return to “News”