Friday Facts #212 - The GUI update (Part 1)

Regular reports on Factorio development.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Friday Facts #212 - The GUI update (Part 1)

Post by Koub »

Now this is an improvement :)

I might even be tempted to use trains with such an interface :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

oh jesus i fell in love with the new waypoint system... looks great.....
fff-212_gui-v2_train-schedule-mockup_07[1].png
fff-212_gui-v2_train-schedule-mockup_07[1].png (2.15 MiB) Viewed 17044 times
SEND CAKES....

TO THEM!!!

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

My eyes don't deserve that.

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

Koub wrote:Now this is an improvement :)

I might even be tempted to use trains with such an interface :)

Did you remove my post about the question concerning the iteration of Forum -> FFF -> Forum thing? Or its reset after he does something in the process?

And looking forward to the UI update & .16! Havent played this year, but ill go another round when it hits. Till then I continu to weekly read my FFF :)
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

Teraka
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Teraka »

This looks amazing, I'm really frustrated that I'll have to wait two whole versions to play around with it but that's the cost of quality I suppose.

While we're on the subject of train UI though, I had an idea this morning that you could make much more complex train schedules in a relatively easy way if you converted how it works now to more of a "state machine" format, where each station corresponds to a state and has a number of different states/stations it can go to depending on which conditions are true. The default could still be a simple loop as it is now, since that's just a state machine with all of its states going to the next one, but it would also allow for some very fancy stuff.

Fz0OiIDY
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Fz0OiIDY »

Pretty nice. But I wish a feature for the train network to create groups for trains that share together the schedule and the color. Also if you can create color groups and save them instead to pick/copy it from a different train.

stretch611
Inserter
Inserter

Post by stretch611 »

I'm probably in the minority here... but can you avoid the transparent windows please; or at least have an option to turn them off.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Wow! :o This is beautiful!
The GUI itself looks pretty good, I'd say better than the current one, but the additions and changes are what really have me drooling. :D
The ability to see the trains path on the little map in the GUI window is amazing, and will be extremely helpful! Also being able to set temporary stops and have trains pull fuel from your inventory when you place is massive quality of life improvement I'd say.

Everything in this Friday Facts is just glorious! 0.17 will be a long wait for it, but I am happy that it will mean a sooner release of 0.16. ;)

Amazing work as always guys!
Fz0OiIDY wrote:Pretty nice. But I wish a feature for the train network to create groups for trains that share together the schedule and the color. Also if you can create color groups and save them instead to pick/copy it from a different train.
I hadn't thought of this, but now that I see it, I'd very much agree on the color thing. Being able to save color groups/combinations would be extremely helpful!
Last edited by Xterminator on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

Stonk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stonk »

Really nice, like the new interface. I got some eye twitching when some text was off by one pixel, but I guess it's just the mockups ;) I found some buttons a bit too big, but I guess this is a design choice.
On the bright side, this mean 0.16 will come a bit sooner.
Oh come on, don't tease us like that

deef0000dragon1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by deef0000dragon1 »

Something that comes to mind is the ability to add trains to a route that has been made by other trains. A number of people use a large number of trains for one back and forth, so it would be nice to be able to make a train route, and save that route globally. Then you can edit the route, and all trains will be effected.

Also, I dont know how usefull this would be, but it might be nice to set a series of stations that the train can go to next. I believe this is already done in train-stackers by naming the station the same, but it may confuse new players. Dont know for sure tho.

Finally, I personally have always found it difficult to parse the train logic, so I am not always sure in what order the AND and OR conditionals apply. It may be useful to add parenthesis type conditionals or something to make it easier to read.

The new GUI looks absolutely beautiful and I look forward to it.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Looks amazing.

Reminder/request: Please add numerical values/sliders to the UI where possible instead of toggles. For example: The roboport switch could include a slider so you could adjust the construction zone, and train stops could have a powerful "Max inbound trains" setting instead of enable/disable. :)
Last edited by IronCartographer on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirFloIII
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SirFloIII »

If you are reworking the Train GUI anyway, could you add GOTOs in the train shedule based on alternative leave conditions? This would be so nice.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Ojelle wrote:Did you remove my post about the question concerning the iteration of Forum -> FFF -> Forum thing? Or its reset after he does something in the process?
Nope, I've seen no post, but I just checked moderation logs, and there was some post deleting in this topic indeed. I don't know why :oops:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Stonk wrote:Really nice, like the new interface. I got some eye twitching when some text was off by one pixel, but I guess it's just the mockups ;) I found some buttons a bit too big, but I guess this is a design choice.
On the bright side, this mean 0.16 will come a bit sooner.
Oh come on, don't tease us like that
Well I mean it was said in the FFF, so if anything they are teasing us. :P I suppose I shouldn't get my hopes up though, and just wait it out. haha
Image Image Image

nightingale
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nightingale »

Looking at that long list of stations definitely makes me thing that you need a "web-like" auto-complete on the station list. Ie. If I click "Add Station", I should then be able to start typing a name and have it auto-filter the list based on the stations which are a partial match. Even better is if it "auto-completes" to the full station name if I get it down to one match without clicking a station.

maniak1349
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by maniak1349 »

New train UI is definitely looking good.
Will the stops and the rules be dragable?

Teraka
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Teraka »

deef0000dragon1 wrote:Finally, I personally have always found it difficult to parse the train logic, so I am not always sure in what order the AND and OR conditionals apply. It may be useful to add parenthesis type conditionals or something to make it easier to read.
It doesn't solve the issue of it not being intuitive but here's an easy way to remember it: AND is like logical multiplication (1x0 = 0, 1x1 = 1) and OR is like logical addition (0+0 = 0, 0+1 = 1, 1+1 = ... well 1 but you get the idea), and just like for regular arithmetic, you resolve the multiplications before resolving the additions, so X AND Y OR Z = (X AND Y) OR Z.

joon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by joon »

Looks really neat :) I'm already drooling

But any news on when train lines are added? So you can add trains to a line without having to add all the same stations/conditions or when you want to add/remove 1 station for the same trains that have the same route?

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

Like [Marcus] 猛虎爆進拳 proposed on Steam, I support his motion to add an Alternate Skin option for the GUI..for those of us who love the Fallout-y look of the game:

Original:

Idea:

RUST SKIN FTW! :D

Return to “News”