Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Regular reports on Factorio development.
V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by V453000 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:53 am

JKLxHIDE wrote:I have a question. Why on the first HD transport belt connector there are no wires inside it? They all have prety wires inside except first.
Image
You can connect the belt without enabling any of it's modes so it does nothing.

AcolyteOfRocket
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by AcolyteOfRocket » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:36 am

Xeteth wrote:Love all this new high-res stuff and it's pretty awesome to see the huge amount of work that goes into every aspect of the game.

One thing I do want to draw attention to is how much 'noise' the connectors and wires make on a 'grid' of lamps.

Take this for example:
Example
Notice how almost 'distorted' the grids seem due to all the wiring and connectors scattered throughout the lamps. Would it be possible to reduce the size of the connector on lamps or shift its position down a little so this is not so prominent?

Keep up the great work!
I'd like to second this, and in fact go further.

Please consider allowing us to remove wires from the screen/ui altogether. I assume that wiring creates groups of entities that share data - would it not be possible to these create groups some other way ? Like by just selecting an entity and using an "add to group" button somewhere, where one could also manage and name groups. You'd need to be careful around entities with multiple wire independent wire connections, but I would much rather see a circuit in a group listing window than smeared all over the main view like it is now.

terror_gnom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:01 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by terror_gnom » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Wouldn´t it be nice, if we could just sent RGB values to the Lamps?

User avatar
Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 496
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by Gergely » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:56 pm

You forgot to add a link to this topic in the blog post!

User avatar
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 3619
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by Klonan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Gergely wrote:You forgot to add a link to this topic in the blog post!
Its at the bottom where it always is:
Gif

ible
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:15 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by ible » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:56 pm

I can think of two ways to get rid of wire noise on lamp arrays.
1. Hotkey that hides wires and wire connectors
2. New technology researched for circuit network wireless channels for radio frequency communication.

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 3048
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by eradicator » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:34 pm

ible wrote: 1. Hotkey that hides wires and wire connectors
Or just a simple option "Show wires in ALT-view only", disabled by default. So everyone can chose to use it or not. And it doesn't add any additional hotkeys.
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by doktorstick » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:24 am

The graphical work continues to impress.

For the LEDs, I didn't even realize there was a blue LED until I read it in the text, and even then I had to search for the two blue LEDs. The color choice is, at least for me, unfortunate.
Hacked Splitters - the mod prophesied to bring balance to the belts

tazdu29
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by tazdu29 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:38 am

Damn !! This new lamp texture is really gorgeous !

@y.petremann I don't think that it'd would be, in term of performance, a good idea to change the sprite every time the value changes.
Maybe replacing the '6' to 'F' (for Factorio)? It will be less confusing, but will keep the relief effect of the lamp's glass, which is imho, really nice!

I'm seconding @zerohourrct idea on wires colors. ! Even if Im not colorblind, that'd be great to define colors in the setting (with a cursor and a RGB code field?).
doktorstick wrote:For the LEDs, I didn't even realize there was a blue LED until I read it in the text, and even then I had to search for the two blue LEDs. The color choice is, at least for me, unfortunate.
Same, the blue and green colors are way too close. It's pretty hard to differenciate them, imho.


I really appreciate these FFFs, it's nice to understand how hard is your devs' job.
So thanks for sharing all of these with us :D

Omarflyjoemacky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by Omarflyjoemacky » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:03 pm

y.petremann wrote:Pretty good stuff.

Why is there a 6 on the lamp ? Is it modifiable ? (would work like a lamp with a decal on top of it to indicate a value)
This is a code from the developer. The 6 stands for October 6th, which is the next FFF, which they will announce the release of .16.

:D :D :D :D :D
"And then Bender ran."

willtree8
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:01 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by willtree8 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:39 pm

It would be cool to have a black lamp that actually dims the other lamps around it. I would never use this but it would be cool. :D

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by V453000 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:02 pm

Omarflyjoemacky wrote:
y.petremann wrote:Pretty good stuff.

Why is there a 6 on the lamp ? Is it modifiable ? (would work like a lamp with a decal on top of it to indicate a value)
This is a code from the developer. The 6 stands for October 6th, which is the next FFF, which they will announce the release of .16.

:D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D Next level conspiracy theory right there ... I never even noticed the 6 shaped coil being inside of there, now not only I can't unsee it, but now also this? :D OK

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:33 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by TheTom » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:12 am

V453000 wrote:
Omarflyjoemacky wrote:
y.petremann wrote:Pretty good stuff.

Why is there a 6 on the lamp ? Is it modifiable ? (would work like a lamp with a decal on top of it to indicate a value)
This is a code from the developer. The 6 stands for October 6th, which is the next FFF, which they will announce the release of .16.

:D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D Next level conspiracy theory right there ... I never even noticed the 6 shaped coil being inside of there, now not only I can't unsee it, but now also this? :D OK
This means you say it is not true?

You know this means it is true ;) If it would just be a conspiracy theory you would not try to debunk it.

pjf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:49 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by pjf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:02 am

These look fantastic! Thank you so much, I'm very much looking forward to 0.16!

As others have mentioned, I'd *love* to see some colour-blindness friendly options for the wires. They've always been a challenge for me to see.

However rather than simply allowing the user to change the wire-colours, I'd strongly suggest adding a *pattern* to the wires for colour-blind mode. Alternating stripes of black and red (or anything and red) are easy to pick out regardless of colour-vision. Combine with different-length stripes for green and it's easy to see which wires are power, green, and red, even in a 100% de-saturated image (which is the gold standard of colour accessibility).

Many thanks again for all your amazing work!

Alanore
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by Alanore » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:06 pm

Happy birthday Friday Facts of Factorio <3 :)

evopwr
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:45 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by evopwr » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:15 am

Bug? Looking at the top row, 2nd from the left, it has the Red network wire connecting to the terminal that has a green "internal" wire attached, and vice versa for the other pole.

Image

indjev99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by indjev99 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:37 pm

evopwr wrote:Bug? Looking at the top row, 2nd from the left, it has the Red network wire connecting to the terminal that has a green "internal" wire attached, and vice versa for the other pole.

Image
mp0011 wrote:Horizontal wires bends due to gravity, but not vertical ones...
Shadows for vertical wires should bends. Now, the wires looks very tight.

P.S.
Same thing for all vertical wires, including powelines...
Second these.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by JohnyDL » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Assuming the sun is angled 90 degrees from the player and has a similar slight angle shouldn't the horizontal wires have a perfectly straight shadow to match the vertical wire's slight curved one, could only add to the 3D effect of the game

User avatar
5thHorseman
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by 5thHorseman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:49 pm

evopwr wrote:Bug?
No. Error in the mockup.
"So you completed the game with a spaghetti factory? Well I hand crafted a rocket and threw it into space with my bare hands!"

User avatar
Proxy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by Proxy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:39 pm

now that i think about it, i wish the shadows wouldn't be part of the Texture but instead a seperate thing, so that it could corospond to the time of day and nearly light sources.

I mean comeon, it is kinda silly if you place a light to the right of something and the shadow is visible under the lamp itself.
Let's just wait til the Age of Iron Stars

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users