Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Regular reports on Factorio development.

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #210 - Circuit connector module implementation

Post by MrGrim »

Looks great! With the lamp update, would it be possible to address the over saturation effect of having a large number of colored lamps close together? If they behaved more like white lamps where they only light up the respective colors of the surrounding terrain to full brightness rather than adding to the color they would look a lot better.

Thanks!

Peregrin_Tooc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Peregrin_Tooc »

Hello dear Devs,

I just want to let you know that I really enjoy the FFF format. It's a bit like a SCRUM review, with the nice difference that we are, in a way, stakeholders instead of developers :D

Also, I really love the game ;)

Cheerio, PT

Xeteth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeteth »

Love all this new high-res stuff and it's pretty awesome to see the huge amount of work that goes into every aspect of the game.

One thing I do want to draw attention to is how much 'noise' the connectors and wires make on a 'grid' of lamps.

Take this for example:
Example
Notice how almost 'distorted' the grids seem due to all the wiring and connectors scattered throughout the lamps. Would it be possible to reduce the size of the connector on lamps or shift its position down a little so this is not so prominent?

Keep up the great work!

Proxy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Proxy »

Xeteth wrote:Love all this new high-res stuff and it's pretty awesome to see the huge amount of work that goes into every aspect of the game.

One thing I do want to draw attention to is how much 'noise' the connectors and wires make on a 'grid' of lamps.

Take this for example:
Example
Notice how almost 'distorted' the grids seem due to all the wiring and connectors scattered throughout the lamps. Would it be possible to reduce the size of the connector on lamps or shift its position down a little so this is not so prominent?

Keep up the great work!

Personally i thought connecting stuff to the Logistic network would allow you to send any kind of Signal wirelessly for anything in the same Logistic network, I was disapointed when it onyl read from the network and didn#t allow signals to be written into it

maybe that should be a thing to make Displays and large machines wireless... even tho it would require a lot more Signals... maybe the Greece Alphabet + the current Latin one? or custom namable signals?

Meddleman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Meddleman »

Keep it up, the new universal connector HD art looks delicious!
One side note, is there no "read/write" coloured lamp for the belts like you explained for other connected entities?
I think I see a red light on the bottom right corner of some of the belt-frame housings, but some have a dark un-lit "bulb" on the top-left corner. The detector light perhaps?

Some housing frames don't appear to have the second bulb; could just be me though and the lack of an active preview GIF throwing me off.

SaintFlow
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SaintFlow »

When do I get what I see here? :)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

MrGrim wrote:Looks great! With the lamp update, would it be possible to address the over saturation effect of having a large number of colored lamps close together? If they behaved more like white lamps where they only light up the respective colors of the surrounding terrain to full brightness rather than adding to the color they would look a lot better.

Thanks!
Such a thing is already possible with mods, for instance:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/E ... olor_Lamps

ABDUZEEDO
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ABDUZEEDO »

Will be nice to have black leds, actually the color black just don´t do nothing, and a new config in the leds to change your brightness, maybe low, with just color on the led, normal and high to brightness even more, and more colors, this will be nice add in Vanilla game, i know there´s a mod for this made by Klonan, but in Vanilla will be even better.

kwjcool321
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kwjcool321 »

One of the belt connector cable seems to have wrong color pairs. Perhaps switch the red and green? That one belt with connector facing to the right.

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

Pretty good stuff.

Why is there a 6 on the lamp ? Is it modifiable ? (would work like a lamp with a decal on top of it to indicate a value)

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ledow »

Think we really need an expensive "wireless radio circuit" instead of so many wires all over the place.

Stick it on a red/green wire and it can transmit it to any wireless radio circuit in range, rather than having to convert to logistics networks or cable everything in sight.

Make a "circuit pylon" that lets you cable red/green from it for a certain range, but also wirelessly "connects" to the next pylon which can be some way away. Would have to be powered to work, obviously!

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Great FF as always, but I especially love these that show off new super awesome graphics and entities!

All the circuit stuff looks fantastic and I think is definitely a change that's been needed for a while. The new lamps also look brilliant! :D

Can't believe it's been 4 years since the first Friday Facts, things have come such a long way!
Image Image Image

Nightinggale
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nightinggale »

I have to say this looks really great. As much as I like the graphics, it's the fact that wire attachments in lua is being refactored. I just can't get wire interfaces to work in anything I make myself, regardless of how much I try. It doesn't look like it's a coding or lua problem because so far it would appear that I have successfully made whatever I have set my mind on as long as it doesn't contain wires.
ledow wrote:Think we really need an expensive "wireless radio circuit" instead of so many wires all over the place
There are multiple mods to deal with that issue. Just search the mod list for wireless. However they are for long distance signal transfer and not really for what this thread is about, which is lots of wires in a small area.

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

Horizontal wires bends due to gravity, but not vertical ones...
Shadows for vertical wires should bends. Now, the wires looks very tight.

P.S.
Same thing for all vertical wires, including powelines...
Attachments
Difference - You can tell, if wire is connected to middle inserter, or just pass over it.
Difference - You can tell, if wire is connected to middle inserter, or just pass over it.
wires.jpg (52.46 KiB) Viewed 11844 times
Last edited by mp0011 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Also, those wires don't look HD. Is that going to be a thing sometime? I'd think it would be fairly simple, but I've been known to be wrong in the past :).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

JKLxHIDE
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JKLxHIDE »

I have a question. Why on the first HD transport belt connector there are no wires inside it? They all have prety wires inside except first.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

While i generally like the wire changes i have a few OCD-ish "issues" that i'd like to point out:
  • I'd prefer if parallel wires had the same distance for all entities. On the picture inserters have ~5 pixels between the wires while chests have only ~1pixel. This will look weird if you have them in the same row. For example in a chain of chests - inserter - chest.
  • I find the additional red/green wires that are part of the belt-connector make the image too "busy" when trying to distinguish between which wires were manually added and which ones are "just decoration". Using wires as decorations is imho very counter-intuitive design as it reduces the stick-out-factor of the actual wires.
  • Completely removing the inactive lamp on connectors looks weird. I prefer the disabled ("black") lamp from the old design.
  • On above picture the belt-connector's red wire is difficult to see (imho) because it's exactly aligned with the yellow frames border. Same goes for the green wire on the gate.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

zerohourrct
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zerohourrct »

Please, please, please change rail signal write indicator so red light is for a red signal, and a green light is for a green signal, or have a completely new color for when the rail signal is being forced by the circuit network, so as not to conflict with the red/green colors already in use by the rail signals.

Also, it would be nice for colorblind users (all users really) if there were an options menu to configure all these circuit network colors, and BLINKING styles instead of just colors.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

This FFF-post and those pictures fill my heart with joy. Have a nice weekend!

Return to “News”