Friday Facts #199 - The story of tile transitions

Regular reports on Factorio development.

HammerPiano
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #199 - The story of tile transitions

Post by HammerPiano »

kovarex wrote:soon
I am very early

viveks711
Inserter
Inserter

Post by viveks711 »

Waiting for it!
kovarex wrote:soon

tonberrytoby
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tonberrytoby »

Does an Water/Land rework imply that we will finally get blueprintable landfill?

Lemlin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lemlin »

I don´t think the new water system is bad, if you can make it more "irregular" you would have created a stream that would flow nicely into the landscape.

LordArthas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by LordArthas »

I am curious to see how that mega base looks like, or is that just me? :)
Is it possible to download a save to see it for ourselves? :)

And as always, great FFF was waiting for it for last 2 hours :)

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Why not make the Tile generation system work on a 2x2 tile base? Similar to how the Rail tiles are locked to a 2x2 tile grid.

That way you might be able to avoid having to create new tiles to handle the 1 tile situation. At least I think it would until someone proves me different that is... :lol:

You are going to change the terrain generation anyways for 0.16 so it doesn't really matter anyways.
Last edited by MeduSalem on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

MeduSalem wrote:Why not make the Tile generation system work on a 2x2 tile base? Similar to how the Rail tiles are locked to a 2x2 tile grid.

That way you would be able to avoid having to create new tiles to handle the 1 tile situation.

You are going to change the terrain generation anyways for 0.16 so it doesn't really matter anyways.
It was also considered, but the shore shape would have much more lower level detail then.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

kovarex wrote:It was also considered, but the shore shape would have much more lower level detail then.
Good point... might look a little... edgy.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

kovarex wrote:but in next version, we would need to have graphics like this:
No problem! You did the same with concrete titles. I'm sure this will work out somehow. Just please make sure that the title correction logic becomes the thing of the past!!

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Gergely wrote:
No problem! You did the same with concrete titles. I'm sure this will work out somehow. Just please make sure that the title correction logic becomes the thing of the past!!
That is my wish as well :)

FalcoGer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FalcoGer »

As for the tile transitions... There is a mod for that :P
It's called Water Fix or something of the sort. Looks weird at first, but I suppose all changes do look weird to someone being used to things.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Use our 'tile correction logic' that we hate so much
Fry it!
-In loving memory of "The Underground"'s tile Generation (shit) system :ugeek:
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

vegeta897
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by vegeta897 »

Another option is to change the tile graphics to be centered on the intersection between a 2x2 area of tiles.

As demonstrated in this article: http://blog.project-retrograde.com/2013 ... g-squares/

A single strip of land or water can be exactly one tile wide this way.

This solves your issue and also cuts down on the number of necessary transitions, allowing more room in texture memory for variations.

Bi0nicM4n
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bi0nicM4n »

I guess this can become an issue, like "I'm running around in my fabulous power armor Mk2 while zoomed as out as possible. Why did I so suddenly stop? Oh, right, it's THAT sneaky water tile".
Isn't the water tile size too low now? I'd rather stick with old tile transitions for the sake of water being always visible.

akastalker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by akastalker »

About tile transitions: can't you just split transition tile square into 4 smaller squares and make that each of this 4 squares chooses its own appropriate transition based on its own tile type and one of the adjacent tile type. For ideal result it should consider both adjacent tiles (e.g. for left-top smaller square this will be left and top adjacent tiles) but this would be quite many combinations to consider, I suppose. I think that's something Tiled Map Editor is doing. I don't know, just ignore this, is just some amateur talking.

All I care about is concrete\brick tiles would allow transition into water with some sort of pier without this awkward grass patch around puddle in the middle of a factory.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

akastalker wrote:About tile transitions: can't you just split transition tile square into 4 smaller squares and make that each of this 4 squares chooses its own appropriate transition based on its own tile type and one of the adjacent tile type. For ideal result it should consider both adjacent tiles (e.g. for left-top smaller square this will be left and top adjacent tiles) but this would be quite many combinations to consider, I suppose. I think that's something Tiled Map Editor is doing. I don't know, just ignore this, is just some amateur talking.

All I care about is concrete\brick tiles would allow transition into water with some sort of pier without this awkward grass patch around puddle in the middle of a factory.
It is possible, the only problem is, that you have less space for the transition, so it becomes much more flat.

draknor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by draknor »

vegeta897 wrote:Another option is to change the tile graphics to be centered on the intersection between a 2x2 area of tiles.

As demonstrated in this article: http://blog.project-retrograde.com/2013 ... g-squares/

A single strip of land or water can be exactly one tile wide this way.

This solves your issue and also cuts down on the number of necessary transitions, allowing more room in texture memory for variations.
I'm not a game developer, but that Marching Squares link was very interesting & informative - thanks for posting!

Proxy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Proxy »

Maybe there should be a bit more focus on water than just the Tiles... like a Water Animation... some wave sounds when near large water lakes, etc.

also what you Descriped is LITERALLY 1:1 a thing that exists in Minecraft, let me explain:
in MC you can do resource packs, and via Optifine you can do even more Texturing, like making Textures interact with eachother. This is known as CTM (Connected Textures Mod, which is inside optifine).
You can do a lot of things with this, for example
make Textures connect to the same block I did this with Redstone Lamps:
large picture
or you can do an Overlay, where you tell the game what block places an Overlay texture on a Block that is near it.
for example i did it with Grass, it puts an custom made Overlay onto nearby Stone, sand, Cobble and gravel blocks:
without Resourcepack
with resourcepack
but even tho there exist these 1 tiny Blocks of Stone (or in Factorio's case water) it still looks kinda Natural.
maybe if a Water tile is bewteen 2 Land tiles (either north-south or east-west of the water) it should be passable?

meganothing
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by meganothing »

Thanks for the subtitles to the second interview part. Very interesting.

Return to “News”