Friday Facts #194 - Automated combinator pipeline

Regular reports on Factorio development.

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #194 - Automated combinator pipeline

Post by Shaymes »

nice :)
what we Need are more sensors like
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28148
Last edited by Shaymes on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mining Drill Operator

Herddex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Herddex »

Quite a bit technical, but I guess I don't mind. You've managed to get my mind blown with all the stuff you wrote about... I never knew there was so much complexity into the graphics design procces. Keep up the amazing work, as usual. :D

Rhamphoryncus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rhamphoryncus »

And for all those who wonder why you can't just publish the blender files for modders.. now you know. It'd look like shit without all the extra work put into them.

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BlackKnight »

Wonderful explanation, thanks very much for taking the time to write it. Impressive the effort required to finesse these sprites into position.

Over the years I frequently find myself gravitating towards writing scripts to solve repetitive tasks for efficiently sake and to insure consistency through my workflow. Funny how I've found the automation process can take precedence sometimes and even be more fun than the actual project ;). Point in fact, no wonder I was immediately hooked when I found out about this game! :D

Factorie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorie »

Amazing visuals. Cool to see the behind the scenes action of it all.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Really really great Friday Facts! Even I have no idea how to do any of this myself and got lost in some parts of explanations, seeing the behind the scenes stuff and all the automated processes you guys have come up with is truly fascinating. :D

I'm hoping this means HD combinators and power stuff in the very near future? ;)
Image Image Image

Factorie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorie »

Also saw the MIDItorio website on reddit. It's amazing what the community can do with the tools this game provides. We have the best community!

garath
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by garath »

Big fan of the FFF's that showcase the tremendous work required to make our favorite game so beautiful. Thanks, much!!

timesinker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by timesinker »

well played !

madpav3l
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by madpav3l »

Xterminator wrote:I'm hoping this means HD combinators and power stuff in the very near future? ;)
A quote from reddit Friday Facts 194.
V453000 wrote:The electric poles and substations are coming soon, it's being worked on in parallel and the combinators just happened to have finished sooner :)

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

Gen. O'Neill wrote:That was a waste of a perfectly good explanation.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

I enjoy reading about how stuff works behind the scenes in the Friday Facts!
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Why are you rendering shadows separately? It is possible to render only one sprite sheet with shadows. And if you have right scale, you can get coordinates of wires with blender too.

Vinnie_NL
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Vinnie_NL »

Again a nice FFF. It makes me wonder if there are other game devs with similar workflow automation scripts. You would be crazy not to look into this to save a lot of work and deliver very consistent work.
And I played my first song in Factorio. Downloaded one from http://www.download-midi.com/ (probably the first google result when you search for MIDI files) and made a blueprint. Together with the Creative Mode mod it was made in 1 minute :) And I don't think I will ever fully understand how it works at least I can enjoy some of it now. Although I understand that creating this from scratch is much more fulfilling.

Also only ONE WEEK LEFT FOR TEH PARTY! :D

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

darkfrei wrote:Why are you rendering shadows separately? It is possible to render only one sprite sheet with shadows. And if you have right scale, you can get coordinates of wires with blender too.
The shadows in the game are actually separate layers for most entities... Apart from that, I don't think it's feasible to do with cycles, do you have some example? With Blender Render I know it's possible for sure. Coordinates for wires, you can probably get them with some blender python scripting, I'm sure about that. But putting it to the game would still require similar scripting and being able to do it on the final sprite gives you much better control I feel like.

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

Those 7x7 symbols look so good. :)

rbrucemtl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rbrucemtl »

I really appreciate the technical details. It's very interesting to see how it's done. I was wondering some thing... is the closest zoom level in the game the graphics at a 1:1 pix scale?

Thanks for this amazing game! :D

Factorie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorie »

madpav3l wrote:
Xterminator wrote:I'm hoping this means HD combinators and power stuff in the very near future? ;)
A quote from reddit Friday Facts 194.
V453000 wrote:The electric poles and substations are coming soon, it's being worked on in parallel and the combinators just happened to have finished sooner :)
My GPU is ready

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

V453000 wrote:
darkfrei wrote:Why are you rendering shadows separately? It is possible to render only one sprite sheet with shadows. And if you have right scale, you can get coordinates of wires with blender too.
The shadows in the game are actually separate layers for most entities... Apart from that, I don't think it's feasible to do with cycles, do you have some example? With Blender Render I know it's possible for sure. Coordinates for wires, you can probably get them with some blender python scripting, I'm sure about that. But putting it to the game would still require similar scripting and being able to do it on the final sprite gives you much better control I feel like.
For example this file: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40559#p240135

And and it's possible just from box from 2.78c: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiU46VHzEnY

Return to “News”