Friday Facts #191 - Gui improvements

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FatMcK
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #191 - Gui improvements

Post by FatMcK »

When I read through the friday facts and saw all those pictures with filters I thought we finally get filters for (nearly) everything (chests, etc.). I was a bit disappointed that its all about UI.

So I'm still hoping an UI overhaul will be for the whole game including filters and different/easy possibilities to set them. It should be much easier to set a filter for one thing with one click like for example only copper ore for the whole cargo wagon without clicking through the whole inventory of it. Would also be great to set inverted filter options like everything but iron ore for chests, wagons or inserters.

Lets see how big the UI changes will get.

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

Twinsen wrote:
BradleyUffner wrote:Does this mean we could get multiple toolbars that we could cycle through? I could have my default toolbar, and additionally have a "Train" set, or a "Fluid" set for when I am focusing on those things.
I like this idea.
I have another not-game breaking idea for inventory:
Idea: First One is For Free:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=42785
Moffmaster wrote:This is, I think a very simple to implement mod. Unfortunately, it is still above my own understanding of programming.

For me, one of the most annyoing things in factorio is to deal with random 'trash' items that you tend to pick up. Like a piece of copper wire, an old wooden pole, an iron rod, an old (yellow) underground belt entrance, that kind of thing.
And it gets worse the bigger the mods you use, (like bobs), as the recipes are more complex, and there are more such 'thrash' items to accumulate.

Obviously, a simple solution is to just give yourself more inventory slots, but that changes the game difficulty and also would have to be adjusted to the number of different items in your mods.

Therefore, I would humbly request a mod that does the following:

-On pick up, drop or craft (or every second or so if that is simpler):
-Loops through the player inventory and counts item TYPES.
-Dynamically adds and removes equipment slots. (Basically setting player.character_inventory_slots_bonus = "# of item types found".

This would basically make the first stack of each item type 'free'. Because as soon as you pick it up, you get an extra inventory slot.
This way, you won't have to worry about small amounts of 'random thrash' at all. Only when it becomes more than one full stack, does it take up 'real' space.
It will also allow you to carry a large variety of machines, as is required for mods like angels. This is a welcome side effect.

Does anyone think my request has merit?
Then someone made a mod that simulated it:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/DedlySpy ... ne_Is_Free
DedlySpyder wrote:Here ya go.

Should work in multiplayer and work fine with other mods that mess with the main inventory (from my end of things at least).

There's just a main inventory change event, so just hooking into that made it easy. Kept it at just #types.
I am currently playtesting it and it doesn't seem OP. Could be used in base game too.
Last edited by Durabys on Sat May 20, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

I like the proposal.
When can we test it :?: :D

I'd like to add:
- cursor stack size, show the size off all items not just the stack. You automatically grab the next stack of belt anyway. Why not show it in the gui. (Currently supported by sl-extended but not perfect)
- enable/disable: logistic robot deliveries, auto-trash, personal construction robots
- placing a blueprint in the logistic slots makes a request for all it's content. No need to request it all in separate items.
- more logistic slots in research + make the slots work like trash slots(ie. add 1 empty one)

There are more changes I'd like to see but these are the ones related to the inventory.

Hamster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Hamster »

I really like the idea about the toolbar. Best would be to have it both way, Fixed and random items.
So when I produce something new it should show up there on one of the free spaces - be I still should be able to put there fixed location for items.

Ghost item is good, finally I can plan my system fully - before I really start to build it. Probably this can be done with blueprints as well.. I haven't had the time to check BP out.

Character interface - go for it.

m3henry
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by m3henry »

Okay, so this is a change long overdue and is very welcome.

I'd also like to point out the auto-request / auto-trash inconsistantcy. Why is it possible to set an auto trash level lower than the request amount? I often see players not notice that they are trashing something they are requesting. Causing robots to spam them with their own stuff. It would make more sense to have a dual slider. where a minimum can be set, and a maximum can be set with a pair of handles. Essentially showing a range on the slider.

A quick UI proposal is below:

with auto-trash and request researched:

Code: Select all

Min                                                        Max
[50   ]    -------#====#-----------    [200  ]
[×] Lock range

with just request researched:

Max
               =========#-----------    [200  ]
with just auto-trash researched:

Min
[50   ]    -------#============

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

I am sure someone have already mentioned this, but it would be nice to have a separate extra buttons for deconstruction and blueprint book. From the point of researching the technology, these two items are pretty much mandatory.

rakosi2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rakosi2 »

I like it but I would also like chest to have the sort button too.

Odhrean
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Odhrean »

Twinsen wrote:
BradleyUffner wrote:Does this mean we could get multiple toolbars that we could cycle through? I could have my default toolbar, and additionally have a "Train" set, or a "Fluid" set for when I am focusing on those things.
I like this idea.
I like the changes and especially multiple toolbar Setups for different workloads. Plesse do it!

gamerlink
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by gamerlink »

For usable items, clicking the shortcut will use the item.
I don't fully agree, as I would prefer normal behaviour from usable items. (Making it more intuitive, as all items have the same behaviour when clicking the shortcut/key.)
And you wouldn't have control over grenades if you had to click the shortcut.

bigbob82
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bigbob82 »

I like these changes and I'm for them.
1 request - please don't bind the "ghost building" with "quickbar empty". there are a lot of instances where I'd like build ghosts even when i have the item. (to build a blueprint, to "see how it looks", etc.)

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AndrewIRL »

bigbob82 wrote:I like these changes and I'm for them.
1 request - please don't bind the "ghost building" with "quickbar empty". there are a lot of instances where I'd like build ghosts even when i have the item. (to build a blueprint, to "see how it looks", etc.)
There was no suggestion that the SHIFT option for ghost building would be removed. The ghost build from the toolbar would be in addition to the existing functionality, not instead of.

fregate84
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fregate84 »

m3henry wrote:Okay, so this is a change long overdue and is very welcome.

I'd also like to point out the auto-request / auto-trash inconsistantcy. Why is it possible to set an auto trash level lower than the request amount? I often see players not notice that they are trashing something they are requesting. Causing robots to spam them with their own stuff. It would make more sense to have a dual slider. where a minimum can be set, and a maximum can be set with a pair of handles. Essentially showing a range on the slider.

A quick UI proposal is below:

with auto-trash and request researched:

Min                                                        Max
[50   ]    -------#====#-----------    [200  ]
[×] Lock range

with just request researched:

Max
               =========#-----------    [200  ]
with just auto-trash researched:

Min
[50   ]    -------#============
agree. it's a good idea. I do the mistake all the time.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Please don't get rid of the player equipment showing on-screen at all times, as much as it might seem wasteful to have that info on screen, it can actually be very useful. I have played a lot of shooters, and it always irritates me when they decide that, after a few seconds of you not firing your weapon, that you don't need to know what your current ammo levels are anymore, and remove that info from the screen. Maybe I was busy looking down range in those few seconds to see if the enemy would peak from his cover again and then after a few seconds I wanna glance at my ammo to decide if I need to take cover and reload or not. I can't do that if the info isn't there, on screen, staring me in the face. While this sort of issue is far less prevalent in Factorio than it is in a typical FPS, the same principle applies, there's no reason not to have that info on screen at all times. It uses very little space (in it's current form, which is fit to purpose imho), and provides a real measurable benefit (being able to see character equipment info 'at a glance' without having to stop what you're doing, open the inventory, and then switch to the character tab).

That said, I like the idea of having the character tab in the inventory as well, but imo, it should be in addition to having the existing HUD element. Because they're not actually redundant when you consider that each has it's uses for which it is advantaged over the other.

macross
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by macross »

LOVE the changes, but HATE the idea of F1, F2, F3 - not having to move my hand is a great design of this game.

My suggestion - E opens/closes the inventory panel (to the last page opened), and Shift-E cycles through the tabs.

I also HATE the idea of having to use 6-0 for anything, please keep it 1-5. It's another great design that keeps the game simple and easily playable. (I'm ok if people want to bind things there, just don't make it the default.)

Thanks!

FreezyExp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FreezyExp »

Loving the changes, although I do like to have all the info in a single view (referring to player inventory).
Yes it is more daunting, but we are talking about a group of players that enjoy figuring out how to optimize a 64 by 64 belt balancer. Efficiency and speed is key.

If you do split the screens, make sure you have it done properly.
Character screen should show a character sheet (with stats like speed, weapon damage etc) as well as equipped power armor name and inventory.
Nicknaming a power armor would be nice to quickly be able to toggle between build, speed and combat, though this may run counter to the desired behavior.
Logistics should show a searchable/filterable list of what is available in a network you are standing in, as well as what is underway to you now.
(side note: fidgeting with a logistics request should not send the 500 units directly, wait a second for the value to settle, or at least cancel a bit when we select a value of 5 instead)

Blueprints should only reside in the players blueprint book (not clutter up inventory and become synchronized (especially books) with the shared blueprints), just add a few shortcuts to the relevant things (add new blueprint, remove trees, new deconstruction, followed by X blueprints shortcuts)

Just my opinion, I am sure whatever will end up happening will make the game even better :P

Jaularik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Jaularik »

I like most of the changes, however, I do not like the idea of the tabs in the character window.

Given the amount of time spent in this window, having to constantly change tabs to get things done sounds horrible.

What if instead each section could be hidden or minimized? Alternatively, what if a player could have all tabs open at once? This way, it is all accessible for a player like me, but can function similar to tabs for those that prefer that option.

Thanks

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Haven't read every comment in this thread, just putting in my $0.02 :) I think Twinsen's on the right track with the UI changes. Toolbar behaviour has always been an annoyance to me.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

jzr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jzr »

New player here, played just about 100 hours in the past two weeks only.
And OH MY GOD Twinsen! You so perfectly described my biggest gripes with the UI.
The quickbar in current game is horrible, half the time I forget it's a separate inventory
and I keep looking for items in wrong places.

It's frustrating.

And the way shift- and ctrl-transfer works, while not posing problems most of the time, is just damn weird.

While your proposals (every single one mentioned in the post) are amazing and I love them,
if they somehow don't make it into the game soon, please at least consider as a stopgap
showing the quickbar on top of the inventory in all windows where inventory is shown
(the way it is in Minecraft). The quickbar always keeps stealing things I don't want on it,
so at the very least not having to remember that and seeing all items in one window would
help immensely.

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

I'm also curious what you guys think about bout our UI/UX and general game interaction.
I'm not sure whether this is the right time to bring this up but there is one MAJOR flaw with what I would call the general game interaction. Placing belts (the thing you do 70% of your time) is actually incredibly tedious. The more complex your designs the more tedious it gets. I don't want to blue print EVERYTHING but after some houndred hours I just grow tired of hitting 'R' 8 times just to lay down 3 pieces of belt around a corner and then repeat again for the symmetrical complement of my design.

The feature that I wish for the most right now would be an automatic belt rotator. Something like, if you hold 'ctrl' while laying belts they're always rotated automatically to face the direction in which you "draw" them.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Lonewolf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lonewolf »

Two thumbs up for the proposal. Really hoping this will pass and get implemented

Return to “News”