Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Regular reports on Factorio development.
exi2163
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:50 am

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by exi2163 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:18 pm

JoeWhizer wrote:...

I do understand that the games are in a lot of things very different, that was why I did ask.

Thanks,
Joe
Please read https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-147
You will notice that both games use exactly the same way for keeping the game state synchronized. Every client runs the same code/map, client input is first send to server and the server sends (merged) packets with the input that each client has to run on its gamestate back to the clients. In Factorio this is noticeable if you join a server with a high ping. When you place something it will appear <your latency>*2 later on your client and it would appear <your latency>+<the other clients latency> later on the other client.

supernet2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:18 am

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by supernet2 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:17 pm

As usual, Factorio Staff being OVERACHIEVERS again, setting the standard, and BAR for future devs and game makers. Thanks guys! Im glad i bought 5 copies, the fact you allow DRM free standalone editions for easy server setup and running means ill be buying another 5 copies when the project is near its end goal. Thanks again, - supernet2

Edit: Forgot to make a request, please make the player GUI moveable (IE i can drag and drop/move my gui, primarily the map, and the status bar, perhaps make it have pin able options? This is driving me nuts as a gui resize helps to allow me to see everything but at the same time, it takes away being unable to have this feature)

User avatar
5thHorseman
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 479
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by 5thHorseman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:12 pm

Sorry I haven't said it yet, but you guys are awesome. I have very good reasons for not saying it: This new version of a game I love came out and I've barely had any time for anything else. :D
"So you completed the game with a spaghetti factory? Well I hand crafted a rocket and threw it into space with my bare hands!"

illyst
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:56 am

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by illyst » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:24 am

Oh my god, that was the first "Fact" i missed to read on the same day since 2 years. The patch is so exciting, ive forget to read :lol:

Alanore
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by Alanore » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:47 am

illyst wrote:Oh my god, that was the first "Fact" i missed to read on the same day since 2 years. The patch is so exciting, ive forget to read :lol:
I'm glad that i'm not alone. I've just read it :D

webkilla
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by webkilla » Tue May 02, 2017 8:47 am

gods this looks good

has anyone crunched the output to see how many steam turbines can be 'fed' by a single reactor's 4 heat exchangers?

And i must say: I am a little disapointed that the heat exchangers look like oldschool shell and tube heat exchangers, not more modern plate stack heat exchangers.

oh, and if you put two nuclear reactors next to each other, for that bonus, can they then each power 8 heat exhangers, since they both get a 100% production boost? or is the boost more in fuel efficiency?

User avatar
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 6054
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by bobingabout » Tue May 02, 2017 8:57 am

Am I dead yet?

I spent pretty much all day yesterday just updating my Logistics mod. I can look forward to similar efforts being required to update other mods, like my Warfare mod, and Power mod.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.

User avatar
Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:12 am

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by Deadly-Bagel » Tue May 02, 2017 9:18 am

When doing Warfare remember to buff the higher tiers a bit ^^ especially the likes of Laser Defence and Combat Drones, currently they're a bit lame especially for their huge expense. Also would you consider changing the vanilla Power Armour recipes to include the previous tier, like yours do? =)

Really hoping that makes it into vanilla because with the MK2 armour now behind another wall of research it's all the more tedious if you don't want to waste over 3,000 iron and 4,000 copper, mostly in the form of Processing Units which would otherwise be going towards precious science packs.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

User avatar
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 6054
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by bobingabout » Tue May 02, 2017 9:27 am

I'm just not realising that when I released my Logistics mod, I didn't even look at the inserter GUI stuff. Wasn't there a change in how the button is added to the top of the screen in 0.15?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.

NapalmEnema
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:18 pm

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by NapalmEnema » Tue May 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Loving the new update, excellent job.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:23 am

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by factoriouzr » Wed May 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Great update so far. Loving 0.15.

However there are some things that were promised for 0.15 that don't seem to be included. I am wondering what happened to these changes. I was really looking forward to them.

1) vehicle equipment grids enabled by default (eg for trains) and things to put in them. Such as having logistics in vehicles, laser turrets, faster movement speed upgrades for vehicles.
2) artilery trains
3) mod configuration GUI for mods with settings so that we can configure mods right through the game instead of through an external settings file

I think there are others but these are the ones I can think of right now.

If anyone else knows of anything else that was promised for 0.15 please list it here.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:20 pm

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by kinnom » Wed May 03, 2017 1:33 pm

factoriouzr wrote:Great update so far. Loving 0.15.

However there are some things that were promised for 0.15 that don't seem to be included. I am wondering what happened to these changes. I was really looking forward to them.

1) vehicle equipment grids enabled by default (eg for trains) and things to put in them. Such as having logistics in vehicles, laser turrets, faster movement speed upgrades for vehicles.
2) artilery trains
3) mod configuration GUI for mods with settings so that we can configure mods right through the game instead of through an external settings file

I think there are others but these are the ones I can think of right now.

If anyone else knows of anything else that was promised for 0.15 please list it here.
The mod config is added tho
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

wwdragon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:16 am

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by wwdragon » Wed May 03, 2017 9:45 pm

I got around to trying out .15.6 and I'm happy to see the copy/paste settings thing.
VERY nice quality of life addition.

Another nice thing is the game is using moderate ram and miniscule amount of cpu.
Very nice.

On the bad side, I notice many things still require multiple circuits to build; This is rediculous, because a device only ever needs one circuit board.
Think about a smartphone; it's only got one, fairly small circuit board.
If you are upgrading from a less powerful one to a more powerful one, ok put one green in to make one red or one red to make one blue... but NEVER more then that!

Second bad thing: The research for Logistics system research is INSANELY expensive.
Considering you need it AND Logistics robots to setup drone based factories, they should both be easy to research.
Instead, it currently takes an ENORMOUS 5 different pack! ....Seriously who thought this was reasonable???
It's only one below a red + green research, so it should, at most take red + green + blue!

Last bad thing has been around for awhile: Turret and tank ranges are still REALLY short.
There's no good reason for this, since the game is so low usage on the cpu now.
How bout putting it back up to where it should be... ie LONG range.

MnHebi
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:17 am

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by MnHebi » Thu May 04, 2017 4:10 am

wwdragon wrote: low usage on the cpu now.
Go play on a OARC server that has ran for more than 30 hours. Have fun trying to catch up even with a 4,17ghz 8-core processor. Factorio is not a multicore application, so naturally CPU usage looks "low". But in big/long games, the usage is very high.

For games that have ran hundreds of hours, you need a top of the line computer to even join. Really top of the line. Basically fresh off the factory.

wwdragon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:16 am

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by wwdragon » Thu May 04, 2017 2:24 pm

MnHebi wrote:
wwdragon wrote: low usage on the cpu now.
Go play on a OARC server that has ran for more than 30 hours. Have fun trying to catch up even with a 4,17ghz 8-core processor. Factorio is not a multicore application, so naturally CPU usage looks "low". But in big/long games, the usage is very high.

For games that have ran hundreds of hours, you need a top of the line computer to even join. Really top of the line. Basically fresh off the factory.
I dunno about networked games.

However, I started a new single player game yesterday and ran it ALL day and night, even when I wasn't paying attention.
It still was only using about 2.4 gig of ram and 2% of each cpu.
My earlier statement stands.

So if anything is wrong, it's multiplayer related.

quenenni
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:16 am

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by quenenni » Thu May 04, 2017 7:41 pm

wwdragon wrote: Second bad thing: The research for Logistics system research is INSANELY expensive.
Considering you need it AND Logistics robots to setup drone based factories, they should both be easy to research.
Instead, it currently takes an ENORMOUS 5 different pack! ....Seriously who thought this was reasonable???
It's only one below a red + green research, so it should, at most take red + green + blue!
It's a personal choice of course, but I really prefer this new complexity. It's more than reasonable imo.. (they even can go further in the difficulty)
wwdragon wrote: Last bad thing has been around for awhile: Turret and tank ranges are still REALLY short.
There's no good reason for this, since the game is so low usage on the cpu now.
How bout putting it back up to where it should be... ie LONG range.
I disagree on this.
The range is very important to be balanced with the range of the aliens.. Long range, and the defense part of the game will become frankly too easy.
If you want better range, use the mod that gives you sniper turret.. The sniper turret Mk3 has something like a 33 range and it destroys aliens before they can do anything.. That's sad.

User avatar
Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 am

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by Nova » Fri May 05, 2017 5:36 pm

wwdragon wrote:On the bad side, I notice many things still require multiple circuits to build; This is rediculous, because a device only ever needs one circuit board.
Think about a smartphone; it's only got one, fairly small circuit board.
If you are upgrading from a less powerful one to a more powerful one, ok put one green in to make one red or one red to make one blue... but NEVER more then that
First, it's a gameplay decision.

Second, do you own a PC? Please open it and count the circuits.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of. Image

Tartaros_exe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:11 pm

Re: Friday Facts #188 - Bug, Bug, Desync

Post by Tartaros_exe » Fri May 05, 2017 11:01 pm

I was wondering, why the space on my Harddrive was getting low.

After a quick search i found out, that i have 8 GB of Desync Reports in my Factorio folder (all form 0.15, but i blame them mostly on my wireless adapter)

Post Reply

Return to “News”