Friday Facts #187 - Space science & 0.15 graphics

Regular reports on Factorio development.
matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #187 - Space science & 0.15 graphics

Post by matjojo »

Boi o boi, 0.15 on the second dag of my week -long vacation. I like.

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

Loewchen wrote:
Light wrote:Three liquids per liquid wagon? Thank You!
Unless they changed it again, its only one type of liquid per wagon and additional connections are only to increase throughput.
viewtopic.php?p=248389#p248389

Keep up! ;)

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

What an FFF!
Awesome work you've done once again, this looks and sounds wonderful and I'm looking forward to trying it out :D

Thanks for all your work again :mrgreen:

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Tomik wrote:Time to do the There Is No Spoon Achievement and I will have all the Achievements before Tuesday comes around.
I did that this week. As I've played with mods around 99% of the time, I had to do most of them. I had done a previous run of "complete the game/thanks for fish/no bots/no solar/no lasers" run.

This time I had to get speedrun (surprisingly got it done in under 5h and only reload when I died to stupidly running to big nest with empty batteries). I also completed all the other achievements within around 10h of that speedrun base *except* the 20M circuit one. I had just around 4M of those made. THAT took friggin ages. I ended up with producing thousands of T3 modules to have a place to spend all those modules.

The picture on the link was taken mid-way through the run. Last few hours the production was somewhere around 15k processing modules per hour and nearly half a million circuits per hour. Overall I spent around 60 hours on that map.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =908909710

So, if you want to get all achievements before the unstable 0.15, you'll better not sleep :)

Rage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rage »

Wait what? Tuesday? Hold on.... *checks the date* .... BEST BIRTHDAY GIFT EVER!!!! Got the week off, get to fly a plane, and now I get to play the ever living crap out of Factorio!

XOffshore
Inserter
Inserter

Post by XOffshore »

I'm so excited by this.
All of this awesomeness is just for $20.

I NEED AN INSTRUCTION HOW TO DONATE MOAR, I'M NOT KIDDING!!1111

tk0421
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tk0421 »

XOffshore wrote:I'm so excited by this.

i actually bought it again when steam version came out, for just this reason.

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

Kelderek wrote:Even apart from the fact that there is a new version release coming, this has to be one of the best made FFF posts you guys have done. Those graphics look amazing -- give those folks a raise!
Nothing else to add here. So much hype! So excited!

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

ftbreizhbugs wrote:Belting the science center will be challenging with so much different science packs though...
Break out the rainbow belts!
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28414

mcwaffles2003
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcwaffles2003 »

In FFF 157 you guys mentioned

"The problem with decoratives

One of the 0.13 changes was change of the map generation. As part of it, it happened that the game is suddenly generating a lot of more of the decorative entities. It often looks like this:

It looks nicer, but the problem is that there could be tens of millions of these on big maps, which can multiply the size of the save and ram required to hold it.There is even a mod that removes them completely to solve the issue. We were discussing solutions of this, and we will probably just change decoratives so they are not regular entities anymore. They would be a special type of an object that is not saved in the map, but generated on the fly when the player walks around. They would be saved per chunk in a very compressed format so it only takes 3 bytes of memory per decorative instead of approximately 300 bytes when it exists as an entity. This will also improve performance, as when some code is checking entities in some perimeter, it wouldn't have to iterate through tons of these decoratives uselessly. As these changes are too big to be added into the 0.14, we will probably just reduce decorative generation in 0.14 and do this change for 0.15."

is this change still planned on being implemented?

joon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by joon »

XOffshore wrote:I'm so excited by this.

Is 20 the final price? - Topic
Klonan wrote: We removed the ability to make donations through our website when we switch to a new payment system,

If you'd like to donate, or to help us out how you can, purchasing another game key and giving it to a friend would really be an amazing way to help us

cappie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by cappie »

I'm so excited.. why does this feel like Christmas?! :D

cappie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by cappie »

I just managed to get 8 friends to buy the game :D

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Hmm.. The railgun appears to still be in the Military 4 research icon. Is it enabled in the base game now? :)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

izaq wrote:Best FFF evA! Props to the development team. You guys are awesome.
How long would it usually take for popular mods to get updated for new versions??? Factorio without Long Reach, Rail Layer and ... is kind of painful for me.
As far as I know, the modding (scripting) interface didn't change much, it was mainly just expanded, so updating the mods shouldn't be a big problem.
mcwaffles2003 wrote:In FFF 157 you guys mentioned

"The problem with decoratives

One of the 0.13 changes was change of the map generation. As part of it, it happened that the game is suddenly generating a lot of more of the decorative entities. It often looks like this:

It looks nicer, but the problem is that there could be tens of millions of these on big maps, which can multiply the size of the save and ram required to hold it.There is even a mod that removes them completely to solve the issue. We were discussing solutions of this, and we will probably just change decoratives so they are not regular entities anymore. They would be a special type of an object that is not saved in the map, but generated on the fly when the player walks around. They would be saved per chunk in a very compressed format so it only takes 3 bytes of memory per decorative instead of approximately 300 bytes when it exists as an entity. This will also improve performance, as when some code is checking entities in some perimeter, it wouldn't have to iterate through tons of these decoratives uselessly. As these changes are too big to be added into the 0.14, we will probably just reduce decorative generation in 0.14 and do this change for 0.15."

is this change still planned on being implemented?
Yes, the decoratives problem was solved for 0.15 and we used that in our testing. The saves are much smaller and the memory usage is smaller too. There should be no real need to use the decorative removal mod anymore.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

tuesday PogChamp

basementjack
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by basementjack »

One suggestion for the rocket/satellites that would add to game play:

Have two satellite types:

Explorer and Destroyer

An explorer would provide radar type functionality, but over a far greater area (simplified, it could cover the whole map, more complex, you could deploy the satellite over a specific area of the map.

A Destroyer satellite would be loaded with weapons that could be called upon until depleted. The two could be used in conjunction to clear out distant parts of the map we want to expand to.

Everything looks great - looking forward to tank cars for hauling oil around!

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

I definitely see that somes will try to adapt the Gotlag Reactors mecanism on 0.15 reactors, mainly core overheating and melting since almost everything else is actually there, or maybe core overheating is already there ...

psychomuffin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by psychomuffin »

WOW! This was like a quadruple FFF!

As always, your changes are for the better, and once again, I cannot believe that you were able to make this game even better!

I love the science packs, and giving the rocket more of a purpose, I can't wait to see what the modders do with it too!
The uranium structures are a hot monstrous mess of pipes, tanks, hoses, tubes, valves, and vents... I love it!
I love all the research into nuclear tech you've done! BTW, I'm sure you are on some sort of government watchlist now, lol.
I love the required acid, it gives the tanker cars more purpose.
I didn't think the Hi res would make a big difference, sense it looked great before, but WOW!
As always, great job to the whole team there!

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

:D great!!

minus
more mods dead((

Return to “News”