Re: Friday Facts #39

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Trucario
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Trucario »

Why are you dont updating the Language files? OMG we are using the same language version of the 0.6 in Spanish.
Its a shame the current status of the spanish translation of the game (0.6) full of gramatical errors and full of english phrases that are post 0.6 so they arent translated.

The Github Spanish translation is UP TO DATE, and translates factorio almost the 99% without grammar error and including more content (in Tech descriptions). Please Devs Update the languages!

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Trucario wrote:Why are you dont updating the Language files? OMG we are using the same language version of the 0.6 in Spanish.
Its a shame the current status of the spanish translation of the game (0.6) full of gramatical errors and full of english phrases that are post 0.6 so they arent translated.

The Github Spanish translation is UP TO DATE, and translates factorio almost the 99% without grammar error and including more content (in Tech descriptions). Please Devs Update the languages!
We are thankful for the translation and we will include it as soon as possible, sorry for the delay.This is still not even remotely stable release and we had too many other things to fix.

Trucario
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Trucario »

kovarex wrote:
Trucario wrote:Why are you dont updating the Language files? OMG we are using the same language version of the 0.6 in Spanish.

We are thankful for the translation and we will include it as soon as possible, sorry for the delay.This is still not even remotely stable release and we had too many other things to fix.
I say that as a suggestion, I'm infinitely grateful of your team's great job, so I was a little upset because you said "The languages will be updated in the next release" and that was two months ago... but hey! The game development goes first. :mrgreen: good job, and forgive my message.

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shaymes »

i like the gates :) but we all use double/tripple walls how it looks with double/tripple gates?
Mining Drill Operator

MaxStrategy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MaxStrategy »

Shaymes wrote:i like the gates :) but we all use double/tripple walls how it looks with double/tripple gates?
This is a good point. Possible solution would be to increase the strength/cost of the walls or perhaps have additional tech levels of superior walls (maybe some sort of powered forcefields or gates that automatically open when friendlies are near?). I would definitely love to use gates XD
Last edited by MaxStrategy on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luaan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Luaan »

Molay wrote:Unity would crumble under the weight of 1000000 GameObjects for sure. Which is kinda sad really :(
Well, you always have a lot of tricks to help. And in the end, you could hack together something that pretty much bypasses Unity altogether - but then again, why? :D

I've tried Unity for a while. But it always comes down to "Why am I even doing this? I'm not trying to do anything all that complicated! And the complicated parts are hard to do in Unity!"

Then again, it worked for KSP. Marvellously. Remember that it was basically a research project in a commercial company - getting the gameplay as soon as possible and ready for tweaking was the primary goal.

I guess I'm just not good enough to accommodate to an existing engine. It's stupid, I know.

Flux Faraday
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Flux Faraday »

about->check updates still says 0.10.0 (Build 10146, win64) is the latest version. Is there a problem with the updater?
sillyfly wrote:Yes. See the original announcement: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=3&t=4436
Thank you! I totally missed that!
Last edited by Flux Faraday on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Flux Faraday wrote:about->check updates still says 0.10.0 (Build 10146, win64) is the latest version. Is there a problem with the updater?
Yes. See the original announcement: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=3&t=4436

undeadnightorc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by undeadnightorc »

MaxStrategy wrote:
Shaymes wrote:i like the gates :) but we all use double/tripple walls how it looks with double/tripple gates?
This is a good point. Possible solution would be to increase the strength/cost of the walls or perhaps have additional tech levels of superior walls (maybe some sort of powered forcefields or gates that automatically open when friendlies are near?). I would definitely love to use gates XD
I like the idea of upgradable walls. There would probably be a need to have different wall graphics for each upgrade.

Aedaeum
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Aedaeum »

Yes, please upgradable walls would be a god-send, as well as upgradable gates.
Great job as always. Stability should always be a priority when your game is being actively used by so many people.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

Upgradeable walls would be awesome. Really would fit with the tech in the game. Allowing Iron to be used in level 2 for increased strength, steel level 3 more strength, copper / circuits etc level 4 to provide a powered shield type capability.

Thourion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Thourion »

Luaan wrote: ...Then again, it worked for KSP. Marvellously...
Well yeah, but dont forget the current situation they have with the lack of 64bit executable for the windows platform. Until they manage to use a newer Unity build. But anyway, sometimes using a different engine could help in situations, but i believe the time it takes to transfer there, dealing with any possible "quircks" along the way, and the worst thing that could happen is if that engine in the end didnt "cut the cake" for your program, could bring more bad things to the table.
It all depends on the application needs, your programming skills, and in the end your "audience".
Marconos wrote:Upgradeable walls would be awesome. Really would fit with the tech in the game. Allowing Iron to be used in level 2 for increased strength, steel level 3 more strength, copper / circuits etc level 4 to provide a powered shield type capability.
Deffinetly, upgrading the walls is what im hoping for at some point. Brings more stuff to build, more to reasearch, can also bring more energy requirements (or alternative production methods i should say) in order for example to have the latest wall upgrade functional (laser walls?). And of course the need for more enemy/strength variety introduction.
All of those things leading to another, is the way i hope the game will develop in time.

Last thing, i also wanna thank the Devs for the update. Game feels more consistent visually (new icons and such), and plays smoother also.

Luaan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Luaan »

Thourion wrote:... the time it takes to transfer there...
Oh, by all means, I wasn't suggesting switching over :) The current engine works quite well, and it does allow an interesting level of freedom.

DaveKap
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaveKap »

Just wanted to say that doing things low level and in your own engine IS NOT A BAD THING! It's many amazing things!
*Respectable
*Talented
*Educational
*The best way to do it when you're inventing something new and awesome like Factorio

Seriously, by no means should you regret what you're doing. Know that it will make your future projects much easier and Factorio the best it can possibly be! :D

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

DaveKap wrote:Just wanted to say that doing things low level and in your own engine IS NOT A BAD THING! It's many amazing things!
*Respectable
*Talented
*Educational
*The best way to do it when you're inventing something new and awesome like Factorio

Seriously, by no means should you regret what you're doing. Know that it will make your future projects much easier and Factorio the best it can possibly be! :D
I probably didn't write it clear enough as I really don't regret it, even though there is some unexpected trouble from time to time. I totally agree, that when you want to do something as different as Factorio, you usually can't just build it on engine that is used to make thousands of different games.

When I tried Fallout 3, I didn't feel like I'm playing new game, i felt like I play just skinned Oblivion for some reason, and then I found out why.

RawCode
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RawCode »

fallout 3 is obvilion with guns, everyone noticed that.

as for engine - framework especially designed for specific task will handle that task better then engine designed for everything at once, like unity.

as for upgradable walls - just adding few tiers for everything is good move that require low amount of work and will provide good results, currently game force to creare hurge arrays of "weak" objects without any way to make "improved" versions of same things.

Ethribin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ethribin »

Is the gate for the walls still a thing that will come?
I haven't seen it being added yet, nor was it mentioned for quite some time (indifferent to the new character model and the tank, which in my opinion are, maybe fun or cool, but less useful or needed then a wall gate)
The greatest thing to be is not a hero, but a person who inspires people to be heros^^

boro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by boro »

It's planned for 0.11

Ethribin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ethribin »

ahhh^^
Good.
thanks man ^^
Looking forward to 0.11 then :D
The greatest thing to be is not a hero, but a person who inspires people to be heros^^

Return to “News”