Friday Facts #185 - Progress report

Regular reports on Factorio development.
BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #185 - Progress report

Post by BenSeidel »

Also, just add some flavour text to the lamp.
Something like "Ultimate diffusion light, able to light up an area, regardless of obstacles in the way".

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BlackKnight »

BenSeidel wrote:
daniel34 wrote:The shadows are the way they currently are because it's a limitation to the engine.
It's more that the images were rendered using an inconsistent lightsource, not an issue with the engine.
If they split the shadows out from the base sprites (and had them rendered using a consistent angle, again nothing to do with the game engine) then they could stop the rendering (or give it a transparency) during night/dusk.
Exactly.. Consistency between shadow light sources would be really great to see! I know that updating the graphics takes quite a bit of time and you devs are perfectionists -- Just hoping this has been taken into account for future graphics revisions (if hasn't already been mostly resolved with the new HD revisions?).
daniel34 wrote: Even if you placed lots of lights at the shadowed areas you would see the shadows, altough logically they should prohibit it (22644).
And two separate images would also allow the shadow layer transparency to be manipulated when near lights sources/at night so as not to force a shadow to be persistent. I know the train rails had a similar challenge with having to inter-layer them so with two or more intersections, overlapping of the actual rail was on the same level and everything else was was below. Should be possible in theory.. unless the memory requirement is the concern..?
BenSeidel wrote: Also, from a law point of view, say that your are on a tidally locked planet, such that it should be always day, but you are orbiting a gas giant, so that night on the planet is actually the giant's shadow, and not true night. That would explain away the shadows always being the same angle AND the night mechanic.

And for those of you that are going to say "but a tidally locked moon would be locked facing the orbiting planet", what if the factorio world was only just picked up as a moon of the gas giant? previously being an orbiting planet around the sun?
Great explanation! Not sure how correct the science is but sounds plausible to me. Can hardly wait for Factorio 2: 3D - rotatable view with correct shadows, light sources and physics!... But first, 0.15 please.............! :(

DaemosDaen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaemosDaen »

I may or may not be constantly refreshing the Factorio home/news page checking for a new update..... maybe.

ili
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ili »

DaemosDaen wrote:I may or may not be constantly refreshing the Factorio home/news page checking for a new update..... maybe.
What kind of Factorio player are you? You need to automate it! :lol:

Ishbo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ishbo »

The more time it takes for the FF to appear the more players will start refreshing so the more will look like a synced DOS attack on the server :) .

Aervanath
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Aervanath »

Ishbo wrote:The more time it takes for the FF to appear the more players will start refreshing so the more will look like a synced DOS attack on the server :) .
If we're this impatient for a status update, think how crazy this forum will be on v1.0 release day!

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

I'm just waiting for 0.15 release.

I wish they would have released it today for the long weekend.

Jan11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jan11 »

factoriouzr wrote:I'm just waiting for 0.15 release.

+1

liij
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by liij »

Jan11 wrote:
factoriouzr wrote:I'm just waiting for 0.15 release.

+1
+1 ;.;

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

we decided that building ghosts/blueprints from the map is an amazing feature.
That's actually bad :( Yes, it's indeed powerful feature. Overpowered, I'd say.
Here is dilemma: as I told before, this kills personal presence factor, but not to use it will be just wastfull, thus silly.
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "ะ˜ั‰ัƒ, ั‚ะตั€ัั" (rus, 2013)

RedDragonGecko
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by RedDragonGecko »

RobertTerwilliger wrote:
we decided that building ghosts/blueprints from the map is an amazing feature.
That's actually bad :( Yes, it's indeed powerful feature. Overpowered, I'd say.
Here is dilemma: as I told before, this kills personal presence factor, but not to use it will be just wastfull, thus silly.
I'm actually hoping this feature will be locked behind a long line of research and limited in range by radar or needing a satellite to be launched.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Is nobody going to talk about how Wube just basically confirmed the extremely popular but long since scrapped "control bunker" direction for Factorio, minus the bunker?

I picked up a game out of boredom to try to make a dent in 20 million Electronic Circuits, and constantly I'm thinking how awesome this feature is going to be. Need more solar, no need to run all the way up to your solar farm if you've got the roboport connections, bots and resources. Can check why iron has slowed down and add a few more miners / furnaces as required. Half an hour ago I removed a belt feeding iron to my module production because I was short, can now just drop it back in from the map. So much running around your base is now not required.

My only concern is this is going to detach you from your character. I mean if bots are going to be made available even earlier then the majority of the game is going to be spent in the map. If you can do everything with bots why would you bother running around? But it's not like you want to restrict it, the ability to place raw ghosts as well as blueprints would be tidier (as otherwise you're just going to have a blueprint book full of common structures anyway) and any attempt to limit it in general would just detract from it.

So I'm all for blocking it behind some research just so it's not available the moment you get bots, either that or make static construction bots available later in the game.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Unknow0059
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Unknow0059 »

What's so good about this new night vision? I don't see anything other than a normal torchlight.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Unknow0059 wrote:What's so good about this new night vision? I don't see anything other than a normal torchlight.
Are you wearing modular armour/power armour, with a night vision equipment installed in it and powered? The change was to the effect of this equipment item, not to how the game normally looks at night.

Return to โ€œNewsโ€