Friday Facts #38

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Flux Faraday
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #38

Post by Flux Faraday »

I like the new sounds. My current game is still early, so I've not heard the car, train or robots. I would like to hear sounds from a slightly larger neighborhood around me. Are there sounds for the various utility poles? High-tension lines have a nice crackle that would be fun to hear.

Rensiur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rensiur »

@ the development team

I can not agree with your wording that there is nothing game breaking that needs to be fixed. I have had quite some losses due to the only partially working turrets. That is indeed kind of game breaking, therefore you should release a fix for at least that, and not just next friday, would have been good to get that last friday.

You guys fix a ton of stuff as anyone can see from the Bug Section of the forum, but just cause not everybody cries out loud doesn't mean its not game breaking.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

The only previous items serious enough to warrant a hotfix was not being able to play the game at all or a bug that made saved games unusable(although not every one of these got a hotfix). So we know a bit what they consider "game breaking enough" for a fast hotfix. Losses because something isn't working completely is not game breaking, but an annoyance.
Not saying you shouldn't report bugs, but you're playing an experimental version of a game in its alpha stage. If you want almost every feature in the game to (somewhat) properly work, keep to the stable releases.
Ignore this

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Maybe there should be a harsher warning before downloading an experimental version (i.e. one that has not been out long enough until most of the critical bugs has been discovered and fixed?), or a simple way to go back to the old version...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Rensiur wrote:@ the development team

I can not agree with your wording that there is nothing game breaking that needs to be fixed. I have had quite some losses due to the only partially working turrets. That is indeed kind of game breaking, therefore you should release a fix for at least that, and not just next friday, would have been good to get that last friday.

You guys fix a ton of stuff as anyone can see from the Bug Section of the forum, but just cause not everybody cries out loud doesn't mean its not game breaking.
Why, you can go back to 0.9.8?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Thourion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Thourion »

I keep seeing posts about people having problems with the turrets.. Is there a requirement for this problem to appear? I keep playing (circling around 3 different gamesaves) and i havent had it yet, on any of them. All my turrets seem to do the job just fine, either the gun ones, i can see them run out of ammo at times, or the laser ones, who keep killing stuff, keeping my walls up.

So from my experience the problem must require a special condition to activate, so thats why i feel its not gamebraking, but require some user-treatment i would guess.
Imo it seems similar to the the shotgun bug, who could be a burden to some playstyles, but its not making the game unplayable in its total.

Am i wrong? Or am i just pure lucky that the problem doesnt affect me ?

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

Thourion wrote:I keep seeing posts about people having problems with the turrets.. Is there a requirement for this problem to appear? I keep playing (circling around 3 different gamesaves) and i havent had it yet, on any of them. All my turrets seem to do the job just fine, either the gun ones, i can see them run out of ammo at times, or the laser ones, who keep killing stuff, keeping my walls up.

So from my experience the problem must require a special condition to activate, so thats why i feel its not gamebraking, but require some user-treatment i would guess.
Imo it seems similar to the the shotgun bug, who could be a burden to some playstyles, but its not making the game unplayable in its total.

Am i wrong? Or am i just pure lucky that the problem doesnt affect me ?
I have the guns (both ammo and laser types) cease working in every game I have played so far. If you catch it quick enough you can run over by them and manually engage the biters which generally causes them to start shooting again.

It really sucks when you have a large base and lose 10 - 20 turrets + walls + infrastructure before you can get there. It's been pretty nasty at times and has caused some large rebuilds (even lost a couple of worlds to it).

Cerus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cerus »

The turret bug is very game breaking for 0.10.0 for me as well.

Not really complaining, mind you. I'm just playing 0.9.8 while I wait. I did like the sounds and all that while I was playing 0.10.0!

Drizzt321
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Drizzt321 »

Not that I'm complaining about fixing more bugs & such... but is there an estimated release date for 0.10.1? Or is it when you feel that there's not much in the way of bugs to fix for it?

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Chances are it's going to come this Friday as that's when the devs do the Friday Facts blog posts, but they may still decide to delay it again to to fix more bugs. I sincerely hope they don't do that, though, there are several major bugfixes reported fixed in 10.1 that are really needed.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Rahjital wrote:Chances are it's going to come this Friday as that's when the devs do the Friday Facts blog posts, but they may still decide to delay it again to to fix more bugs. I sincerely hope they don't do that, though, there are several major bugfixes reported fixed in 10.1 that are really needed.
The 0.10.1 will be released on Friday. There are quite a few fixes and some of them are for rather annoying bugs (turrets not shooting, etc.).

DaveKap
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaveKap »

I just wanted to say that despite the fact the amount of music currently may be low, the quality of the current music is, in my opinion, rather good. Not the fidelity of the sound, mind you; simply the music itself is what I'm saying I enjoy. In other words, be sure to keep the current music in the game, just be sure to add more and improve the quality! :)

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

slpwnd wrote:The 0.10.1 will be released on Friday. There are quite a few fixes and some of them are for rather annoying bugs (turrets not shooting, etc.).
Wonderful! I'm just sad that the bad allocation bug is not fixed in 10.1, it always seems to happen once my maps get bigs enough. Granted, my computer only has 2 gigabytes of memory, so the save function probably runs out when it tries to save... Looks like I won't be able to play a proper game until next week at least.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Rahjital wrote:
slpwnd wrote:The 0.10.1 will be released on Friday. There are quite a few fixes and some of them are for rather annoying bugs (turrets not shooting, etc.).
Wonderful! I'm just sad that the bad allocation bug is not fixed in 10.1, it always seems to happen once my maps get bigs enough. Granted, my computer only has 2 gigabytes of memory, so the save function probably runs out when it tries to save... Looks like I won't be able to play a proper game until next week at least.
It should be fixed (it was one of the reasons to postpone the release, to have this bugfix there)

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Oh, that's great! Can't wait for Friday now.

Flux Faraday
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Flux Faraday »

DaveKap wrote:I just wanted to say that despite the fact the amount of music currently may be low, the quality of the current music is, in my opinion, rather good. Not the fidelity of the sound, mind you; simply the music itself is what I'm saying I enjoy. In other words, be sure to keep the current music in the game, just be sure to add more and improve the quality! :)
Seconded. I like the music that is already there, but more is very welcome.

squisher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by squisher »

Flux Faraday wrote:
DaveKap wrote:I just wanted to say that despite the fact the amount of music currently may be low, the quality of the current music is, in my opinion, rather good. Not the fidelity of the sound, mind you; simply the music itself is what I'm saying I enjoy. In other words, be sure to keep the current music in the game, just be sure to add more and improve the quality! :)
Seconded. I like the music that is already there, but more is very welcome.
thirded! the music sets the perfect atmosphere. just wish it didn't sound compressed.

Return to “News”