Friday Facts #179 - New resource graphics & concrete

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #179 - New resource graphics & concrete

Post by Drury »

Kane wrote:Alien world so who cares about the colors. Also it's more pleasing to see it green the yellow cake color. Also people posting pictures of copper I think the idea is copper mined in a raw form would not been exposed to the air and oxidized just like iron would also not of been oxidized and have ended up having rust look.
Since it's lying freely on the planet's surface, it would indeed have rust/patina on it.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Drury wrote:
Kane wrote:Alien world so who cares about the colors. Also it's more pleasing to see it green the yellow cake color. Also people posting pictures of copper I think the idea is copper mined in a raw form would not been exposed to the air and oxidized just like iron would also not of been oxidized and have ended up having rust look.
Since it's lying freely on the planet's surface, it would indeed have rust/patina on it.
Yes I knew this would come up, but the second miners start mining it would it of not already removed the surface layer? Why we mining it if it's on the surface? Would a few explosives not be enough for us to pick it up? Is it a special kind of iron with some sort of slightly different properties but just ended up being called it since it was close to iron like... I have no clue either way we could easily play with this for a while ;)

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Kane wrote:
Drury wrote:
Yes I knew this would come up, but the second miners start mining it would it of not already removed the surface layer? Why we mining it if it's on the surface? Would a few explosives not be enough for us to pick it up? Is it a special kind of iron with some sort of slightly different properties but just ended up being called it since it was close to iron like... I have no clue either way we could easily play with this for a while ;)
Well visually the mining machines are scrubbing the ores off the surface, they can't just scoop them up all at once. When they're done, they don't leave a huge hole. Leads me to believe they're not mining ores from beneath the surface.

Which makes sense considering the planet's surface is littered with the stuff. Why dig for ores that are literally scattered all over?

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

What we are experiencing on this planet is an almost unique tectonic process, where ores are actually -forced- to the surface, thus facilitating our surface-effect mining.

LCCX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LCCX »

I just wanted to say that the redone resources look *fantastic* ! Excellent work.

MrDijssel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MrDijssel »

Looks awesome, its cool that you are putting so much effort in the new updates! I bought the game last week and i've played over 50 hours now! Still figuring out everything. :D

-scv-
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by -scv- »

Showed 5 kinds of ores, but what does oil look like now?
google translete

Damaskox
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Damaskox »

I think I like the old resource illustration a bit more, though I like the "puzzle-style". The new resource look are maybe a bit too..."boxy"? And of course Hi-res is nice!
Also, there is always the (small?) chance that someone thinks, as an example, copper to be a red rock and skipping it.

Return to “News”