Friday Facts #179 - New resource graphics & concrete

Regular reports on Factorio development.
luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #179 - New resource graphics & concrete

Post by luc »

Devs: is there a high-res version (1920x1080 preferably) of those ores together? I like it and feel like it might make for a cool wallpaper that only other players will understand.

I've been looking for a good Factorio wallpaper that works in semi-professional settings as well (so it must not be obvious that it's a game), this is a good candidate. For the record, I'm talking about this image: https://us1.factorio.com/assets/img/blo ... 5-ores.png
LotA wrote:Green ore really reminds me of C&C's tiberium
Why do you think Westwood (the original C&C studio) picked that color as well? :D

Sigma1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sigma1 »

Great. Now I want a python combinator :P
she/they

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

luc wrote:Devs: is there a high-res version (1920x1080 preferably) of those ores together? I like it and feel like it might make for a cool wallpaper that only other players will understand.

I've been looking for a good Factorio wallpaper that works in semi-professional settings as well (so it must not be obvious that it's a game), this is a good candidate. For the record, I'm talking about this image: https://us1.factorio.com/assets/img/blo ... 5-ores.png
LotA wrote:Green ore really reminds me of C&C's tiberium
Why do you think Westwood (the original C&C studio) picked that color as well? :D
if I get some time I will prepare something for you :)

warmist
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by warmist »

I was thinking: if making new ores is not too much trouble, maybe you could make a few bonus ones? Imho modding could use these "bonus assets" to maintain the same visuals as core game.

Commander Gizmo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Commander Gizmo »

These new ores look incredible! Thanks for the hard work making even the smallest details enrich our favorite game.

I agree that it would be nice to see some of the ores appear to be sticking out of the ground more than laying on top of it. Perhaps even sometimes appearing to have fissures in the ground with the vein slightly visible? However, I'd say the uranium looks more like some kind of candy than a hard rock in the images. It reminds me of my kid's Candy Land game. Perhaps if it seemed a bit more like crystal, with sharper, more geometric edges? I think it's the beveled curves almost like an inverse bite out of a cookie causing the effect.

I second the idea of stone appearing more as boulders when densely packed. The lack of a smooth top surface would really make it stand out more.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Those ores are looking pretty sweet. I guess once again, you've given me something else to do when 0.15 hits, completely rewrite my ores mod, using new graphics.

On that note, and I know the chances of this are quite low, but is there any chance of a couple extra greyscale tintable ores being generated as templates that I can use? you know, since you have the script. Failing that, the tools to do it myself.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

MalContentFL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MalContentFL »

@Klonan Is Spidertron going to be in 0.15?

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

MalContentFL wrote:@Klonan Is Spidertron going to be in 0.15?
I was just wondering the same thing! It looked almost finished in fff-120 (https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-120) which is over a year ago now :(

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

They did hint at a surprise with many legs for 0.15.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

bobingabout wrote:Those ores are looking pretty sweet. I guess once again, you've given me something else to do when 0.15 hits, completely rewrite my ores mod, using new graphics.

On that note, and I know the chances of this are quite low, but is there any chance of a couple extra greyscale tintable ores being generated as templates that I can use? you know, since you have the script. Failing that, the tools to do it myself.
I do hope that they can provide version with tintable masks and I think V453000 hinted at that at some point.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

orzelek wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Those ores are looking pretty sweet. I guess once again, you've given me something else to do when 0.15 hits, completely rewrite my ores mod, using new graphics.

I do hope that they can provide version with tintable masks and I think V453000 hinted at that at some point.
Well, if the devs don't give me a tintable mask, I'll just make one by greyscalling all the ores, then playing with the saturation and brightness until I Have something that looks usable. It's how I made my current set.
I also have a Patreon.

Bartimaeus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bartimaeus »

I find it funny to use the argument that the aim is not to make ores look realistic ... after a post about organic tiling that makes ores look more realistic :D :D :D
but yeah I dont feel too bothered about uranium not being yellow as it should be as the colours of iron and copper ores also dont have very realistic colours as many people have pointed out previously.

While I agree that the new ores look very cool I still think I will be missing the feeling of the edges ... but for that I can always just switch the grid mode on which I do almost always anyways :D

I have an idea to solve the danger concrete tiling problem:
If you allow the rotation of the danger concrete to be adjustable by the user just as belts or assembling machines do ... then you wouldnt need to solve the unsolvable problem algorithmically but you could but transfer it into a designing responsibility of the users.

@ people spreading alternative facts and misconceptions:
PHYSICS ALERT!!!
uranium ore doesnt give a green glow nor does any other radioactive material... maybe with the exception of that radium paint, but the effect behind the green glow would still fluorescence rather than chernekov radiation. Fluorescence is caused by electrons falling from an excited state into a lower state. Chernenkov radiation is usually a blue glow (not green) and is caused by high speed electrons travelling through a medium with high index of refraction, which lowers the local speed of light so that the electrons are travelling faster than that local speed of light in that medium giving rise to a wave effect similar to a sonic boom. That glow would not be visible in air because the speed of light in air is very close to the speed of light in vacuum which is a true max limit of anything that moves. Therefore the electrons would have to go very very very (99.9%) close to the speed of light in vacuum to create a light equivalent of a sonic boom.

HARDCORE PHYSICS ALERT!!!
there was one more thing ... what was it ... oh yeah ... process of plutonium creation from uranium via neutron capture is not a fusion because fusion not only makes heavier elements from lighter ones but also releases extra energy while doing so. Fission releases energy by breaking heavy elements into lighter ones.... to produce plutonium you have to smash some neutrons into the uranium 238 ...in a process called neutron capture... to make it a Uranium 239 ... which then undergoes a beta-minus decay that converts an extra neutron into a proton making it a Neptunium 239 ... and then one more beta minus decay making it a Plutonium 239. There is no net energy gain in these processes (at least as long as Plutonium doesnt decay by fission I think) ... you actually have to consume part of the energy released by the fission of uranium into lighter nuclei to smash the neutrons into the uranium hard enough in the first step.

Elements lighter than iron like to fuse to heavier elements until they make iron because that releases energy ... for elements heavier than iron it is more energetically favourable to split up by fission into lighter ones until iron is former because that releases energy... hence making heavier elements from elements heavier than iron would require energy to be consumed

Lilly
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lilly »

For selecting what concrete type the borders should be, I'd suggest always use non-hazard type. The difference is probably barely noticeable, but you will get consistent results, regardless of hazard concrete formation.

Hoeloe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hoeloe »

So for all those people asking why uranium and nuclear stuff is associated with green glow:
1. Precisely said, we associate radiating stuff with green glow
2. Since I wondered myself, why we do that, I asked google and he told me: Radioluminescence
As you can read, the first radioluminescenced paints were unhealthy radioactive.

Nice work with the orepaches! I understand the people who argue about the colours of the ores, but I belive it's better to leave the colours as they are, because most people associate them with the correct ore.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

ske wrote:
could also be a Leviathan Biter/Spitter

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Lilly wrote:For selecting what concrete type the borders should be, I'd suggest always use non-hazard type. The difference is probably barely noticeable, but you will get consistent results, regardless of hazard concrete formation.
I will second this. Even from irl perspective concrete starts to decay starting from the surface and the painting wears off first. So naturally edges will not contain any paint. This will simplify things up and remove confusion of mispainted edges.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ratchetfreak wrote:
ske wrote:
could also be a Leviathan Biter/Spitter
There is one in my mods.
I also have a Patreon.

Keyordub
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Keyordub »

I love the new look!

Arbee81
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Arbee81 »

Love the look of the new ore patches! My first thought when seeing the new tiling approach was how it would impact drill placement. I don't know if it's my map settings or if I'm just lucky like this, but I tend to get merged patches of different ores fairly regularly, so the old grid system was handy for placing on the edges. I like the idea someone suggested of highlighting the area that will be drilled when placing the drills. Wouldn't be the end of the world without it, though, since the drills already which ores and how much will be mined. Besides, that's why we have filter inserters, right?

Will there be any change to the look of the ores after they are mined and on the belt? I like that they're all the same now, just curious if that will get a little more random as well with this change to the patches

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Alien world so who cares about the colors. Also it's more pleasing to see it green the yellow cake color. Also people posting pictures of copper I think the idea is copper mined in a raw form would not been exposed to the air and oxidized just like iron would also not of been oxidized and have ended up having rust look.

Return to “News”