Friday Facts #178 - Minimal mode and Mini-tutorials

Regular reports on Factorio development.
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #178 - Minimal mode and Mini-tutorials

Post by bobingabout »

NiftyManiac wrote:I've never played with your mods, but I'd imagine that as long as mining works the same it wouldn't be hard to do. The main base would get a little more complex, and every mine would need a lot more combinators, one for each ore... but otherwise everything should work the same. (Unless of course in Bob's the essential components depend on oil. In that case it'll have to wait until I can handle oil.)
Nearly all the ores are handled the same. Gems gives multiple ores, Lithia is a fluid and uses a unique building, but can also use the oil drills.

And, although it's not all that heavily dependant on oil, depending on what you're doing, it does add A LOT of new fluids. (Though half of them are actually gasses. And all the gasses can be made from Water, or "Air" aka nothing) It does also make a lot of changes depending on what mods are installed, for example, Electronics mod rewrites electronics, and as a result you'll need some of my new ores to be able to make them... and Hydrogen chloride. Hydrogen Chloride can currently be made quite easily, all you need is water, but is annoying due to the Sodium Hydroxide byproduct. The Salt water electrolysis is kind of like my version of oil processing.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

bripi wrote: ...
Oh, and when people talk about addiction...they are not lying! Crack is addictive...heroin is addictive...Factorio is SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY!!
It's not only me where outside time appears to stop when I play? Forgetting to eat, drink, [and sleep, once!] occurs frequently when I'm playing.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Tym wrote:
bripi wrote: ...
Oh, and when people talk about addiction...they are not lying! Crack is addictive...heroin is addictive...Factorio is SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY!!
It's not only me where outside time appears to stop when I play? Forgetting to eat, drink, [and sleep, once!] occurs frequently when I'm playing.
Why do you think people ask for real clock access in game?
To make alarms to not forget to eat and sleep ;)

Damaskox
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Damaskox »

I am glad about the Minimal mode. Though the errors are telling about what mod has problems about 90% of the time, there are those uncommon moments when you need to find the mod breaking it all. Plus the -push-the-button-automated mod-toggling is a nice plus.

Mini-Tutorials are awesome too. I dislike the idea about people leaving the game just because it's "too overwhelming" or "too difficult". For the people who wants to skip the Campaign, to go straight in Freeplay, those tutorials could be good!
I especially need a tutorial on the Circuit system. The little research I have done over the Internet, my understanding is very feeble over logic, and my frustration builds up quicker than running out of breath when holding it. Can't figure out even the simplest things there.

Just make the tutorials skippable for people, who already handle them, or who are not interested in them.

Return to “News”