Friday Facts #37

Regular reports on Factorio development.
DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #37

Post by DanGio »

I really love that update. I feared that the machine sounds would be annoying, but that's just perfect. (Although the furnace makes a wooden camp fire sound)

Great job you guys !

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

And my computer just had to be broken. :(

Raghnarok
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Raghnarok »

All working fine for me <3

And this new volume control, love the "master" option.

Nice work again.

Prezombie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Prezombie »

kovarex wrote:Stacks are now 10 based, to match the circuit/requester settings, the amount might change, they were mostly changed to the nearest suitable value.
Please, no. Return to the powers of two model. You're like that evil NASA executive who demanded that the Engineers use imperial instead of metric.

Change the Circuit and Requester UI instead, to a neat slider of 1-(stack max) with a toggle between units and stacks, so you can order 5 stacks quickly.

Please go back, and go even further to fix the stack sizes so eggs are 512 instead of 500, all ammo is 128 (for the light rounds) and 64 (for the heavy stuff).

Also, Inserter stack size bonus. double each time, so it's actually worth spending that many vials on insert stack size improvement 3 and 4.

Edit: and as "unintended" side effects go, the sandbox starting chest is now missing a lot of stuff from being unable to hold all the stacks, and trains are even LESS efficient. Cargo carriages really shouldn't have storage comparable to wooden chests, if they were equal to steel chests, trains would actually be hands down better for a long cargo trip over a stupidly long conveyor belt.

Edit again: I made a mod to fix this dreadful error.
Last edited by Prezombie on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sander Buruma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sander Buruma »

Prezombie wrote:
kovarex wrote:Stacks are now 10 based, to match the circuit/requester settings, the amount might change, they were mostly changed to the nearest suitable value.
Please, no. Return to the powers of two model. You're like that evil NASA executive who demanded that the Engineers use imperial instead of metric.

Change the Circuit and Requester UI instead, to a neat slider of 1-(stack max) with a toggle between units and stacks, so you can order 5 stacks quickly.

Please go back, and go even further to fix the stack sizes so eggs are 512 instead of 500, all ammo is 128 (for the light rounds) and 64 (for the heavy stuff).

I agree with you a 100%!!!

The 32 by 32 sector arrangement of the map layout resonates with it. Please return to the power of 2. A game that is numerically whole is much much more sound. It is your duty as game devs to imbue your games with the undercurrents of mathematical harmony, and this is only possible with the power of 2. I suggest putting logi networks on the power of 2 as well, instead of going to this multiple of 10 & 100 system.

tterrag1098
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tterrag1098 »

Also, Inserter stack size bonus. double each time, so it's actually worth spending that many vials on insert stack size improvement 3 and 4.

Edit: and as "unintended" side effects go, the sandbox starting chest is now missing a lot of stuff from being unable to hold all the stacks, and trains are even LESS efficient. Cargo carriages really shouldn't have storage comparable to wooden chests, if they were equal to steel chests, trains would actually be hands down better for a long cargo trip over a stupidly long conveyor belt.
Agreed there. The stack sizes of 50 really threw me off...it's not pretty. I much prefer powers of two. It also seemed like a nerf, we already have chests full of coal but now the stack size is smaller.

Other than this minor annoyance, this is a great update! I love the sounds, it's one thing I noticed was missing from the moment I started playing. All the visual enhancements are amazing as well. Thanks again devs :)

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

I am personally for metric system. Its neater.
Oh, and gratz on the LEVEL feature. When I was a teenager, I used to read it. I think I had about 100 magazines at home. I am sure I will watch the video, when I got some spare time.

ray4ever
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ray4ever »

Has anyone foung out how the map seed string is working? I mean where can I find the string to share it?

And how to the filters for the cargo waggon work?

Tardan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tardan »

Sander Buruma wrote:
Prezombie wrote:

I agree with you a 100%!!!

The 32 by 32 sector arrangement of the map layout resonates with it. Please return to the power of 2. A game that is numerically whole is much much more sound. It is your duty as game devs to imbue your games with the undercurrents of mathematical harmony, and this is only possible with the power of 2. I suggest putting logi networks on the power of 2 as well, instead of going to this multiple of 10 & 100 system.
the power of 2 is nice and geeky :) but when i play, i calculate everything in 10* system. so it was a good idea to change it.

Prezombie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Prezombie »

Tardan wrote: the power of 2 is nice and geeky :) but when i play, i calculate everything in 10* system. so it was a good idea to change it.
If you really use 10^x, look at the number of stacks at each level.

For 10^x, and a stack size of 100, it goes 1, 1, 1, 10, 100. If you're estimating with just 10^x, you've only got 4 sizes before exceeding your inventory limit.

For 2^x. and a stack size of x^2, you get x levels of one stack, then neat increments of 2 stacks, 4 stacks, 8 stacks.

This is a game played by a lot of geeks who have a stronger emotional attachment to the powers of two than their national flag.

cranphin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cranphin »

Hi!

My first update since i bought the game, yes! :)

I have one issue, I wonder if anyone else has had the same happen?

On my 0.9.8 save game started from 'Custom Scenario' 'base/freeplay', if I load it in the new version:
- I can now suddenly craft -everything-
- Even though I do not have all the technology researched yet (both in the old save and once the save is loaded)

Any idea what's gone wrong here? :) Any way to hack the save game to fix it? :)

Thanks! :)

Raghnarok
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Raghnarok »

Prezombie wrote:

Can't agree more...
Please give us our model back.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

Raghnarok wrote:
Prezombie wrote:

Can't agree more...
Please give us our model back.
+1

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Why everybody wants the power of two back!!
We use a DECIMAL numeral sistem, its much easier to think in factor of 10 than in factor of 2.
are you guys really complaining about loosing a 20% of stack size??
Or why you love 2^x so much!! It just doesnt make sense for me :S

I just cant understand :(

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

ficolas wrote:I just cant understand :(
Me neither...

Bl00drav3n
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bl00drav3n »

You can always split a stack exactly in half when its size is a power of 2.
128->64->32->16->8->4->2->1
as opposed to
100->50->25->?

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Bl00drav3n wrote:You can always split a stack exactly in half when its size is a power of 2.
you can do the same with 10x (and 10^x but not quite the same), in fact you can do so at more intervals of 10x than 2^x from 2->120/130... in the base game the only odd stack size (other than 1!) is 5 for some of the 'less common?' items (surprisingly landmines still have a stacksize of 16 lol). AKA try again with your reasoning. Don't get me wrong I don't mind the 2^x sizes, but I think the devs actually made the right decision considering how many people steam access will likely bring that do not care for 2^x numbers... for those that really want it there's a mod that changes them back to powers of 2, but the filter system still isn't by powers of two.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

To change the topic a bit, could we please please pleeease get either a setliquid method or a read/write liquid property for PipeConnectable in the scripting API? Ability to manipulate liquids would open a lot of wonderful possibilities for modding.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

You can't compare 10x with 2^x. One is linear and one is exponential. (And 10^x is stupid. "Oh, i want 500, but can't use that. Either 1000 or 100..." ^^)

My first though was "System with 2 is better.", but i have to think about it.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

sciencemile
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sciencemile »

I think there would have been less complaints if they had rounded up :P, so 64 = 100 stack, 128 = 200 stack, 256 = 300 stack. You still get power of 10, plus buff instead of nerf :)

But ah regarding pipes, simple fix with minimal editions would just have you make red and green pipes (which is like pipe + red/green wire to make, or maybe more costly idk not a balancer), and then you have normal pipes, green pipes, and red pipes, and normal pipes connect with all pipes but red and green pipes only connect with eachother.

Return to “News”