Friday Facts #175 - Programmable Speaker

Regular reports on Factorio development.
floodo1
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #175 - Programmable Speaker

Post by floodo1 »

First thing I'm doing is setting up a Vampire Killer sequence and making a blueprint of it set to local audio only. There MUST be various locations on the map where you randomly hear Castlevania music in my saves (-8

The best part is actually the messaging system though. Being able to trigger specific text as an alert will be SUPER helpful

lyallp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyallp »

tarou00 wrote:Why don't you use TCP to downloading the map?
You will get a higher speed for high volume transfer, and won't have to take so much care in what's between the 2 end points.
I second this, TCP connection, write the whole map, it's guaranteed correct order delivery. Leave error correction and recovery to the protocol, not re-invent the wheel :)
...Lyall

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

lyallp wrote:
tarou00 wrote:Why don't you use TCP to downloading the map?
You will get a higher speed for high volume transfer, and won't have to take so much care in what's between the 2 end points.
I second this, TCP connection, write the whole map, it's guaranteed correct order delivery. Leave error correction and recovery to the protocol, not re-invent the wheel :)
Using TCP would mean some 80% of people can't exchange maps between each other.
UDP hole punching is what enables people to play Factorio without opening ports and it doesn't work with TCP

apriori
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by apriori »

You guys are trueЪ devs!
Any code or mods posted by me are WTFPL, unless otherwise copyrights are specified.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

Just find a way so map-wide speakers don't get abused by griefers in multiplayer mode.

LotA
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LotA »

I must say that after somewhat 1,500 hours on this game I've lost interest in current vanilla gameplay
but with nuke and speaker (oh yeah :D) i guess another thousand hours it will be...

I believe there is only one thing that needs to be addressed so that factorio becomes perfect modding-community-wise :
The ability to transparently join a server that add custom content. (remove the need to manually dl/enable every mods the server has)

I see 2 possible ways to get to this point :
- allow scenario map to edit data:raw. I'd call it the "blizzard map editor" solution : anyone who played war3 knows that scenario could add their own content and it was amazing modding-wise
- automatically subscribe, download and enable mods when joining a server. I'd call it the "Don't starve (together)" solution
AFAIK the second solution was chosen for .15 - I'm really eager to get some news about where we are about this (next FFF? :D)

I know its not how the engine works but it would be great to have the ability to have the "base game" loaded at start and never reloaded when a mod is enabled/disabled.
So when you join a server with mods, it doesn't restart the whole game but only load the "missing" data and refresh/update the data tree
I can't really complain about the loading times as i have SSD, but even though launching the game+joining a server can take 1~2 minutes (especially big maps, slow upload speed > big caching up time but that another topic)
What about players with HDD? if you need 5 or more minutes to join a modded server it's gonna be painful i believe.

Love you Wube.
Last edited by LotA on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Talking about in-game notifications, will there be some sort of log for them that we can use see past events?

As it stands, quite often I miss out on events when a ton of stuff is going on. I'd love to be able to click on some button (on map, perhaps) that opens up a list of past N events that I can click again to see what was going on.

webkilla
Inserter
Inserter

Post by webkilla »

speaker thing is neat - I like the idea of "the west iron mine has run dry" and whatnot

but... no info on the progress of the 0.15 update? :(

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

webkilla wrote: but... no info on the progress of the 0.15 update? :(
No info other than the weekly posts about all its new features :)

Goufalite
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Goufalite »

hoho wrote:Talking about in-game notifications, will there be some sort of log for them that we can use see past events?

As it stands, quite often I miss out on events when a ton of stuff is going on. I'd love to be able to click on some button (on map, perhaps) that opens up a list of past N events that I can click again to see what was going on.
Yes, Dungeon keeper stacked notifications-like would be interesting !

Jarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jarin »

I just wanna know how you sequenced those items on the belts. o.o

webkilla
Inserter
Inserter

Post by webkilla »

Klonan wrote:
new features are nice and all - but I'm just blueballing for when we'll get it

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

webkilla wrote:
Klonan wrote:
new features are nice and all - but I'm just blueballing for when we'll get it
Its like your girlfriend is sending you nudes and you just want to play with it, but your boss won't tell you how late you're free!

Undermind
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Undermind »

It's all nice and good but I hope there would be more lategame content in near future.

Cabanur
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cabanur »

I really hope the new speaker means it's more likely nuclear power will potentially have deadly consequences if not managed properly, since we'll be able to trigger alerts to let us know the reactor is headed for destruction with enough anticipation so we can prevent it in time.

exi2163
Inserter
Inserter

Post by exi2163 »

If this is indeed a problem with the udp file content and the associated checksum the fix is simple: add an increment counter for all resend requests like "send me chunk 423523, try 34" - "ok here is chunk 423523 try 34".
At work i had some fun with UDP myself a few years ago: we bought a wireless lan solution from a big company (something with a big C) and at our remote location a specific model of access points sometimes would not join the wlan controller at all and sometimes join immediatly or after several hours/days.
After some days of intensive debugging (including some trips to our remote office) i finally found out that our WAN line rearranges the order of some UDP packets which the controller didnt like at all. The day i found this issue was the day they released a new firmware which fixed this bug :roll:

hansinator
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hansinator »

I saw a question why the fluid flow of a pump could be interesting in Twinsens long circuit network list screenshot. I once thought it might be useful in this application where it would've been nice to know when a pipe is empty: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35683

Sparkysam
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sparkysam »

Klonan wrote:Weekly dose of Factorio news: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-175
So this is what resources for factorio are going into, like trump building a wall, it is going to stop the good things from coming.

Why is this got dedicated time and resources when most people are waiting to see dedicated multithreading to help better performance when modding? Yes I love the video like sandstorm and it is cool and needs a lot of work but the 99% of the game need better performance not this, most people will never use this and someone could have just made a mod with it instead of precious admin time going to it instead.

I am stuck with 14 because of rubbish like better graphics and speakers?? No, concentrate on the performance of the game get good multithreading for mods, robots and belts and better server to client performance and then u can do whatever you want with speakers, animals and even grass for all I care.

P.S Lowering server clock speed so that a client can get into the server is madness, affects performance, means I also need server admin access (to the actual server through Teamviewer) to pause the game as well because of no disabling catch up where is the update to get a tick box to disable that??

On another note, i have over 600hours of this game and 580 hours I have had no sound so a speaker sounds the "Best" update ever.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Sparkysam wrote:Yes I love the video like sandstorm and it is cool and needs a lot of work but the 99% of the game need better performance not this
I'm fairly certain that 99% of people don't ever build bases big enough to slow down their computers. Just 5.8% of people have ever launched a rocket.
Sparkysam wrote:most people will never use this and someone could have just made a mod with it
Pretty sure one can't really add this as a mod due to lack of relevant prototypes.

Atreu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Atreu »

Speakers and configurable GUI alerts. My dreams come true!

Thank you very much :D

Return to “News”