Friday Facts #175 - Programmable Speaker

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #175 - Programmable Speaker

Post by Klonan »

Weekly dose of Factorio news: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-175

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #175 - Programmable Speaker

Post by ThaPear »

Sweet! Thanks for the update!

MiiNiPaa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MiiNiPaa »

Would be there a way to disallow global sound playback for everyone but selected group of people? On public servers there always will be that one person, who thinks that everyone want to hear constant ringing in their ears.
Last edited by MiiNiPaa on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KrzysD
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by KrzysD »

That video just came out and I already watched it 4 times! This is awesome!!

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

MiiNiPaa wrote:Would be there a way to disallow global sound playback for everyone but selected group of people? On public servers there always will be that one person, who thinks that everyone want to hear constant ringing in their ears.
Yes, there will be a slider in the sound settings everyone can change in case someone decides to be funny and place a speaker in the corner of the map.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Every item has a specific tone associated? That's genius!

EDIT: I'm looking forward to how creative people are going to get with this.
Last edited by Drury on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

I assume sound can be set to be force-based too and not global for everyone?

Also, now finally that Darude video made with colored lamps can also have background music playing, all in-game :)

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

The music sounds epic!
Also: 1/0 magic - lol :D
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

Fish
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fish »

Wow, that looks so cool.
Great choice of song btw. Gravity Falls is awesome.

Rhamphoryncus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rhamphoryncus »

I'm curious about global vs per-force as well. I can imagine a PvP server where the scenario does all-forces sounds while each team does their own per-force notifications.

The video itself is, of course, mind blowing.

Taneth
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Taneth »

I noticed you've got "Assembling machine - set recipe" in that list, does that include "read ingredients"? That would be a really useful complimentary function. You could just stamp down a block complete with train station, set a single constant combinator, and off it goes.
Last edited by Taneth on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by delus »

I had to say you guys are awesome, I can appreciate how hard it is to track down bugs like that and just want to say thank you for your dedication (and obsession :) ) with tracking down and fixing bugs. You guys are a rare breed of developers, keep up the great work!

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Rhamphoryncus wrote:I'm curious about global vs per-force as well. I can imagine a PvP server where the scenario does all-forces sounds while each team does their own per-force notifications.

The video itself is, of course, mind blowing.
Yes, that's why I asked. I would imagine that people are able to come up with ways to generate alerts for enemy proximity that are only sent to friendlies.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

There HAS to be a VOX announcer mod when this is out, specifically for the aforementioned spliced messages functionality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh32mC-dor0

I wouldn't mind having something of the sort in vanilla, but...

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

I can already tell that the next popular entry on reddit will be a Factorio version of
Darude - Sandstorm or Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up.

Both have been made in Shenzhen I/O which also includes a programmable speaker, a game I can recommend to everyone who is interested in programming and circuits.

I have to say though, the idea of creating songs using a sequence of already built-in entities is awesome (as shown in the video), and I can't wait to see what the community will come up with.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ledow »

On the network side, does it happen if you send packets that are "encrypted" (XOR'd would do as an example)?

Either there's a very specific packet size that's being blocked, or a very specific packet content. Adding a random byte solves both, but if you were to just scramble to data slightly but keep the size exactly the same, that might narrow down the search.

I have seen a number of odd issues with routers (especially cheap ones but not always) that have "DoS protection" things turned on, where they can pick up on what they think are rogue packets but actually they are not. And once triggered, they often block packets for 20-30 seconds.

I can't say I've experienced the 100% hang myself, but the map-loading is terribly slow for me on multiplayer, even to my own dedicated server in a datacentre that's doing nothing else. It seems to jump and then hang and then jump and hang but on large maps it will timeout on one of those hangs sometimes - however it's usually ultimately successful but from a user-experience, it looks bad - like the server is stopping for ages at a time when there's one person on an fairly clean map without thousands of entities.

(I can remember once playing a shareware game that required a keyfile to register. The keyfile had to have very specific content in order to activate the game. While testing, once, I managed to find that a save file from that very same game would be accepted as a valid key and allow you to play the full game. I tried again later with other saves and wasn't able to replicate it - literally just my first test with the nearest save file, completely by chance, happened to contain a set of numbers in whatever pattern it was expecting and it worked. Sheer chance is like that sometimes - and maybe the Factorio packets of a certain size happen to contain a substring of some kind that is triggering primitive packet-searching tools like AV or IDS routers).

Xon1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Xon1 »

Twinsen; those download issues reminds me of the old Sip packet of death. Aka buggy network controller firmware.

Sometimes just encrypting everything to stop network gear in the middle from "helping" may be your best bet. Alternatively padding a UDP packet so it is always some minimum size may help.
Last edited by Xon1 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

__D__
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by __D__ »

While I was reading the long list of circuit network ideas, and I remembered a feature that I think would be cool, that being using things like if-then and while loops and such when setting train schedules.

An example would be you have a single train and 3 iron outposts with a traditional loading setup, chests inserting into the wagon. The train would loop between Iron A, Iron B, and Iron C and spend 30 seconds at each, but if the condition of full cargo is met, it would break that and go to base, unload and start the cycle again. Or more practically, go to one outpost, and if the mining slows down to a point where the buffer runs out or even exhausting the patch completely, it would go to another outpost if the cargo isnt full or go to base if it is.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

People on Stackexchange being helpful as always… Post it on SO, they'll tell you to use a jQuery plugin for sending those two packets.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

FunMaker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FunMaker »

I had a similar issue 10 years ago while developing in delphi - the network library was compiled into the executable. One widely known av scanner found a virus in it. I sent the executable to the developers of tje av and they approved that it does not contain any virus and a updated their av heuristics. At work i had firewalls that block java code (no matter how it was sent). I think you ran in a heuristic pit of some fw implementation.

Besides: I like sound:-)

Return to “News”