Friday Facts #171 - So long 2016

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #171 - So long 2016

Post by Mangledpork »

Glad I could be of service!

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

So... *that* is how G2A and such services work then. I have bought some games from there though not factorio. I think Iยดll stay away from there for now :shock:

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

I have two wishes for the graphs:

1. An option for stacking the curves.
2. Linlog-Scaling of the time axis.

---

* Especially for electricity graphs, it would be nice to have the production/consumption values stacked since they actually do stack up.
* Similar for some production statistics like copper/iron plates.

* You can effectively display a weeks production and still see the last five minutes.
* By logarithmically pruning the old values and using statistics like the mean, min, max, median, or percentiles, the data can be displayed appropriately.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

Probaby it should be kills per hour, rather than per minute, because of
a) small numbers per minute
b) combats should be constant to make sense in calculation in this scale
However, scale could be changed simultaneously with time scale switching.
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "ะ˜ั‰ัƒ, ั‚ะตั€ัั" (rus, 2013)

MiloRK
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MiloRK »

Happy New Year! Factorio is a gift that keeps on giving. I've bought it 4 or 5 times for friends over the years :)

I'm guessing this is the new logistic bot graphic? Looks more differentiated from the construction bot now, which is nice:
New_Logistic_Bots.png
New_Logistic_Bots.png (22.65 KiB) Viewed 7410 times
Can't wait for .15 in 2017!

MimigaKing
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MimigaKing »

Rseding91 wrote:
cncr04s wrote:Please add Fluid Prod/usage Statistics page. Please lol. It can't be that hard.
It's already in 0.15. I added it when I added the kills screen.

Will there be a ore mined statistic page as well?

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

MiloRK wrote:Happy New Year! Factorio is a gift that keeps on giving. I've bought it 4 or 5 times for friends over the years :)

I'm guessing this is the new logistic bot graphic? Looks more differentiated from the construction bot now, which is nice:
New_Logistic_Bots.png
That is the icon for destroyer bots

MiloRK
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MiloRK »

Smarty wrote:
MiloRK wrote:Happy New Year! Factorio is a gift that keeps on giving. I've bought it 4 or 5 times for friends over the years :)

New_Logistic_Bots.png
That is the icon for destroyer bots
Oh...yes...well, don't mind me lol

Isaac1251
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Isaac1251 »

I wish there would be special button for electric poles that'd put them on the ground to provide continous line of power. Mean like when im running in straight line of my turrets i'd like to just hold one button and have straight line of poles being created as im running forward with no powerless tiles between them (as it happens now with furthest space between them on LMB) Please? :)

Vxsote
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Vxsote »

The author of Rimworld (another indie game) had fraud issues with steam keys also, and talked briefly about his solution in a blog post: https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/09/new-ste ... ore-today/. If you have any problems in the future, some collaboration might be helpful (if you haven't already explored that).

m3henry
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by m3henry »

I'm surprised there's not graphs for the amount of items in a logistics network, a circuit network, or stored in accumulators.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Few requests for the kill statistic screen:

- Why different kind of trees are separated? They're all trees after all.
- Adding ammo spent (including laser shots) in the right window would be a nice feature to undertand the effectiveness of combat.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

hitzu wrote:Few requests for the kill statistic screen:

- Adding ammo spent (including laser shots) in the right window would be a nice feature to undertand the effectiveness of combat.
Because that's how the stats works in the game. It tracks by entity prototype ID when an entity is killed. It's the same reason you see each assembling machine in the power usage stats instead of just "assembling machines" - they're all unique. You can't say "They're all assembling machines after all" :)

That's also why your 2nd request can't work since items aren't entities and they don't ever "die".
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Rseding91 wrote:
hitzu wrote:Few requests for the kill statistic screen:

Because that's how the stats works in the game. It tracks by entity prototype ID when an entity is killed. It's the same reason you see each assembling machine in the power usage stats instead of just "assembling machines" - they're all unique. You can't say "They're all assembling machines after all" :)

That's also why your 2nd request can't work since items aren't entities and they don't ever "die".
I'm not talking about internal structure, it's all about UX
For the player it doesn't matter what kind of tree was killed. At the same time it doesn't matter how many bugs were killed, but the effectiveness.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

hitzu wrote:For the player it doesn't matter what kind of tree was killed. At the same time it doesn't matter how many bugs were killed, but the effectiveness.
Problems start when players start adding custom entities. How would those be grouped?

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

hoho wrote:
hitzu wrote:For the player it doesn't matter what kind of tree was killed. At the same time it doesn't matter how many bugs were killed, but the effectiveness.
Problems start when players start adding custom entities. How would those be grouped?
Game doesn't really OUGHT to group any other entities, and scoreboard may just add into single number all known trees before outputting.
However it won't be really a problem to give entities a tag kinda "scoreboard_group", that would be available for modders as well.
And that's scoreboard mechanics, that doesn't touch data gathering mechanics in any way)

About biters, I don't quite agree - their quantity represents player's combat activity during different game stages.
Rseding91 wrote:
hitzu wrote:...
... your 2nd request can't work since items aren't entities and they don't ever "die".
Another method of gathering another kind of data can be implemented - just saying :roll:
BUT

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

RobertTerwilliger wrote:
hoho wrote:
Game doesn't really OUGHT to group any other entities, and scoreboard may just add into single number all known trees before outputting.
However it won't be really a problem to give entities a tag kinda "scoreboard_group", that would be available for modders as well.
And that's scoreboard mechanics, that doesn't touch data gathering mechanics in any way)

About biters, I don't quite agree - their quantity represents player's combat activity during different game stages.
Rseding91 wrote:
hitzu wrote:...
... your 2nd request can't work since items aren't entities and they don't ever "die".
Another method of gathering another kind of data can be implemented - just saying :roll:
The current statistics we track already take a measurable amount of CPU time. Adding more would slow the game to unacceptable levels for very little gains.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Rseding91 wrote:The current statistics we track already take a measurable amount of CPU time. Adding more would slow the game to unacceptable levels for very little gains.
Fair.

However all trees still can (and I believe should) be added togeter just before outputting into scoreboard, being single-time operation, not hitting performance in any feelable way ; )
BUT

Return to โ€œNewsโ€