Friday Facts #168 - Nightvision Nightmare

Regular reports on Factorio development.
BlueRaja
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #168 - Nightvision Nightmare

Post by BlueRaja »

Guys, settle down. The pictures are clearly out of order. I think the first and third images are supposed to be swapped.

bk5115545
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bk5115545 »

mophydeen wrote:Heat vision would not work because bitters are cold blooded killers.
Fixed.

mestoris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mestoris »

How about a simple desaturation filter? Well-lit areas appear as they normally do at night, and dark areas appear just as bright but in grayscale.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

mestoris wrote:How about a simple desaturation filter? Well-lit areas appear as they normally do at night, and dark areas appear just as bright but in grayscale.
I was thinking something like this.

Try leaving the lit areas unfiltered (because that really is best), and then set the unlit areas to a flat color scheme of 0.4/0.6/0.4 so that everything looks like a slightly-darker gray-green.

It'd also be nice if darkness (without night vision) had some visibility, desaturation effects, a slight blue tint, and if the light from light sources would peter out more gradually instead of going straight from half light to zero in the same distance it went from full to half.
Example desaturated color setting for night: 0.06/0.06/0.08

Metebacsi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Metebacsi »

Hi,

I never used nightvision after I found out the ugly green effect, so I'm glad that the devs are taking a step towards fixing the issue.
But I'm sad that the third image was considered the best outcome :(
The second image with the dark bits being only green seems to be a pleasant middle-ground. Some people mentioned being able to set the color in settings with a hue would be a great addition.
So let the player set the rgb values for it as we are all different in what we see as pleasant. I would go with r:35% g:80% b:35%, but I might change it based on seeing the end result.

Thanks for the good development work!
Cheers,
Mike

Arucard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Arucard »

BlueRaja wrote:Guys, settle down. The pictures are clearly out of order. I think the first and third images are supposed to be swapped.
Well it's not that clear since he describes the glow transition in the third part which corresponds to the third image. So I have to add my two cents, the idea of the third image is cool, but needs to be toned down. Otherwise I vote on the second, ignore lighted areas and affect dark areas, which is the ideal way making it better than even real life night vision. Either way, I'm sure there will be mods to change it to various preferences, if there aren't already.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

Ok, I know this is a bit late, but I just watched David Attenborough's Africa, and I immediately thought of factorio. There is a section where they film Rhinos with a new night vision camera, and it just looks like normal day light footage in gray scale. The scene was filmed in complete darkness, with only stars providing the light ( no Moon).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HEUcCj5cLU

This is year 2013 night vision.

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

I realize this is late but for what it's worth here is my input on the subject and I REALLY hope you read and consider it! It's pretty important.

The current night vision may look somewhat unpleasant but whatever you did to it in that last picture is far worse than that. It makes me outright sick! The blurry light and high contrast hurts my eyes and I don't feel like I would be phyiscally capable of playing more than 5 minutes with such a night vision without having a seizure or something.

I'm sure you've had some valuable input about the subject by now but whatever you do, don't release it in this state please.

Now, to be a little more constructive here is my take on night vision. I own a cheap night vision scope (cheap but it does it's job pretty well). I clearly remember the most stunning / impressive part about using it the first time was how absolutely cutting-edge sharp everything appears through it.
There is absolutely no difference to plain view in daylight except for the single coloured hue every has.

Perhaps you could create a similar effect if you first added an effect to darkness which blurrs vision more and more the closer an entity is towards total darkness. Then make it so that night vision disables this effect.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Return to “News”