Friday Facts #34

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #34

Post by Nova »

Stranger wrote:I don't like buying unfinished products, I don't want to buy an unfinished drm free game then have drm put it after it is finished and forced on me.
Getting published on steam doesn't mean the game is finished. ;)
I don't want to buy unfinished games, too. But i just value the game in the unfinished state: "Would I buy the game in this state?" << Yes for factorio. :)

kovarex wrote:I hate when I get games on steamonly, I want to be able to play the game without interference of steam.
Full approval. Well, the interferences are no problem for me, but the simple idea: If steam goes bankrupt and the server will be shut down, how do I get my games?

kovarex wrote:I bought the Civilisation humble bundle just to find out, I can just get these games through steam, and I can't play it without steam?
Much worse for me: You can only get the english version of Civilisation 3, not the german... :/
Er, is it okay to write about getting games on TPB here? Don't know about the legal position of this in Czechia... Don't want you to get any problems. ^^
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Nova wrote:
kovarex wrote:I hate when I get games on steamonly, I want to be able to play the game without interference of steam.
Full approval. Well, the interferences are no problem for me, but the simple idea: If steam goes bankrupt and the server will be shut down, how do I get my games?
Valve already publicly declared they will distribute games to their owners forever and ever, even after they go bankrupt. They'll remove DRM from all games.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

They can remove the DRM from any game? But hey, thanks for this information. :)
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Well it does sound unlikely, but it's still more likely than Valve ever going bankrupt. I mean, they control over 60% of digital market and don't really have any competitors other than smalltime stuff like GoG or Origin.

And if things ever look grim, they can release Half Life 3 and make the global market go bankrupt instead.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

It's the digital age. 10 years here equals to nearly 50 in the "normal" world. There were many companies with 60 or more percent market share - were. ;)
Greetings, Nova.

Alfdaur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alfdaur »

Nova wrote:Er, is it okay to write about getting games on TPB here? Don't know about the legal position of this in Czechia... Don't want you to get any problems. ^^
There was a treat about pirating factorio. So it should probably be safe to talk about it. ;)

Stranger
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Stranger »

I bought the Civilisation humble bundle just to find out, I can just get these games through steam, and I can't play it without steam? WTF? So I just had to download the game from TPB to be able to play it normally.

So the conclusion is, even if we get to steam, the steam version will be always optional, the DRM free game as it is now will be an always an option.
Exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you.

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

kovarex wrote:download the game from TPB
Despite your owning a legit copy, you still might not want to admit this publicly.
Like my mods? Check out another! Or see older, pre-0.12.0 mods.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Schmendrick wrote:
kovarex wrote:download the game from TPB
Despite your owning a legit copy, you still might not want to admit this publicly.
I'm wondering if a couple people are forgetting that Kovarex is one of the devs of Factorio...so he's pretty much free to say anything he feels safe saying :lol:

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

I didn't forget, I had it specifically in mind. If [any of] the devs got in trouble for something, Factorio could be in jeopardy.

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

Schmendrick wrote:I didn't forget, I had it specifically in mind. If [any of] the devs got in trouble for something, Factorio could be in jeopardy.
Nonsense. Copyright infringement requires the rights holder to sue. Are they going to sue a high profile customer who actually paid for their game? What would they gain? That'd be just insanely bad PR.

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

Who said behavior regarding copyright infringement was sane? :P

Sparkerish
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sparkerish »

Personally I look closely at games before I buy them. If they require "persistent internet connection" that indicates a NO-SALE for me. I pay by the GB for data and constant data streams get expensive. Will have to remember steam ads can be turned off . . . If I ever get on steam.
Offline Games RULE (especially if they have LAN multiplayer)

I Love Factorio.
Have FUN!
WARNING Factorio

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

You can set download limits on Steam and you can play games in offline mode, as long as they don't require connection (multiplayer).

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

I have heard that you still need to be able to log in to Steam to play those games in offline mode... Is this not the case or is it just a technical work-a-round that some don't know about or how to use to enable this?

Note, I havent used steam in a long time, I refuse to agree to MBA clauses if I have a real choice, and games are something I can live without.

Alfdaur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alfdaur »

I do hope that I can get a steam free copie. I know that I'll be getting a steam key once they go to steam, but are they also providing other download locations?

Acet
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Acet »

I hope Factorio never becomes a Steam only game: I only ever had troubles with Steam and see no benefit at all for me as a customer from having Steam in a game, only a decrease in product usability and increase in network related failure situations.

There are other indie games out there which I would like to support (as I did with Factorio) but because they're Steam only they won't be getting any of my hard-earned money.

I suggest the same model as Don't Die, which both has a Steam client and a Standalone one which includes its own updater.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Acet wrote:I hope Factorio never becomes a Steam only game: I only ever had troubles with Steam and see no benefit at all for me as a customer from having Steam in a game, only a decrease in product usability and increase in network related failure situations.

There are other indie games out there which I would like to support (as I did with Factorio) but because they're Steam only they won't be getting any of my hard-earned money.

I suggest the same model as Don't Die, which both has a Steam client and a Standalone one which includes its own updater.
Factorio will not be a "Steam only game". We take steam as a fantastic distribution platform, but the game must be buyable / downloadable / playable without it.

Acet
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Acet »

slpwnd wrote:Factorio will not be a "Steam only game". We take steam as a fantastic distribution platform, but the game must be buyable / downloadable / playable without it.
That's very good to know!

Alfdaur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alfdaur »

slpwnd wrote:Factorio will not be a "Steam only game". We take steam as a fantastic distribution platform, but the game must be buyable / downloadable / playable without it.
That's nice to hear. Thanks. :)

Return to “News”