Friday Facts #34

Regular reports on Factorio development.
noddie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #34

Post by noddie »

holy meep I never knew I could turn it off!I stand corrected.

And it is true, it is a very big place with many watching eyes

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Gammro wrote:Also, it doesn't change the fact that steam still is the biggest digital storefront, so if you want to become big, you'll have better chance when you're on steam. However, I think a game shouldn't be solely on steam. I'd hate it if steam got in a monopoly position for selling games.
That's true, but Steam-only multiplayer wouldn't change much - after all, if you have internet connection, there's no reason not to use Steam. It would be beneficial both for Steam users and the developers.

The offline game doesn't have to be Steam-only.

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

Drury wrote:
Gammro wrote:I'd hate it if steam got in a monopoly position for selling games.
if you have internet connection, there's no reason not to use Steam.
Well...
Last edited by Schmendrick on Sat May 17, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like my mods? Check out another! Or see older, pre-0.12.0 mods.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Yes?

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

Ick, messed my quote tags up in both original post and edit. Fixing now (again). The point is, if you don't like Steam for whatever reason (including not wanting it to become too powerful), that's a reason not to use it.
Like my mods? Check out another! Or see older, pre-0.12.0 mods.

AndaleTheGreat
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AndaleTheGreat »

I was par of the Sips influx myself and I bought the game the second I finished the demo. Quite enjoying it and putting a lot of hours into it.
Can't wait to see this turn into a full game.
For the most part seems like a great community (A little pissed I got insulted for having not played 100+ hours before posting to forum). I've been reading through a lot of the forums and there's quite a bit of interesting stuff going on. Glad to have joined you guys.

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

I think waiting for multiplayer and endgame content before going on Steam is a good choice. It has its pros and cons but, since you're funded for now, it's probably going to work out. Wonderful news about the sales! Hopefully, there will be an environment "sanboxy" enough for the youtube thing to survive and thrive!

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

One thing that's sort of bothering me a little...
Navigate the people to the forum as the main source of support (because we have a fantastic community^^).
With the volume of posts on these forums increasing, it could end up being too much for the community to handle. You might need a plan B.

There's this another indie game I've been following, and they used their forums as their main support system. Long story short: their Steam launch caused a community divide because old fans were into "improving the game" and new customers were into "value for money". The forums degraded and the community wasn't able to deal with the conflict arising from unhappy customers. Well, there were other factors playing into the downfall, but it went really bad.

I'm sure the community here is happy to help, but ultimately you're still responsible for the outcome. Be careful in how you present the forums as a source of support and stay vigilant.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I really hope, the next "wave" is not so unprepared, cause I wanna play and program more in my free time. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zequez
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zequez »

That's a slick looking radar!

Also, I found the game through Reddit, I'm surprised you guys didn't mentioned it in the post. We've got our own little community, /r/factorio, that also grew a lot in the last weeks.

Sedado77
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedado77 »

Great gus! keep going and don't do the Al Capone thing, pay your taxes! xD

Steam is a good platform, but don't rush till you're ready!
Good luck, Kudos on sales and Cool Radar!

krux02
Inserter
Inserter

Post by krux02 »

I've been in that storm of registrations. And it's awesome the game. I just finished the game and I have to say I've no problem with the current radar so far, but that Rocket Defense looks ass. Yea even though the end game was quite a bummer I really liked the experience.

DjParagon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DjParagon »

That sounds pretty good, thanks for the update ! Amazing artwork guys, really love the art direction, all these details and animations looks absolutely gorgeous !!

Can't wait for PaySafeCard support so I can start my factory ^^

:D

einstein9073
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by einstein9073 »

I want to see Factorio on Steam because of multiplayer.

Using Steam multiplayer functions is always much better than using games that don't.

e.g., contrast the effort of setting up and playing with friends over the internet a game of Risk of Rain vs Civilization 5.

Stranger
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Stranger »

When you start Selling Factorio on Steam can you also please provide a DRM free copy separate of Steam?

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

Stranger wrote:When you start Selling Factorio on Steam can you also please provide a DRM free copy separate of Steam?
Why won't you buy the drm-free version in the first place?

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Especially because every copy of the game gets a free steam key.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Stranger
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Stranger »

BurnHard wrote:
Stranger wrote:When you start Selling Factorio on Steam can you also please provide a DRM free copy separate of Steam?
I don't like buying unfinished products, I don't want to buy an unfinished drm free game then have drm put it after it is finished and forced on me.

Ext3h
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ext3h »

Stranger wrote:
BurnHard wrote:
I don't like buying unfinished products, I don't want to buy an unfinished drm free game then have drm put it after it is finished and forced on me.
I don't think you understand. The DRM free version won't just seize to exist once the game is published on Steam. You get the DRM free download option as well as a Steam key. And you are free to use the DRM free version even after you got the additional Steam key.

Only the auto update and DLC download mechanism is most likely going to differ between these version.

Only interesting question is, if there is going to be any kind of server browser, and which platform it is going to depend on. (Options are mostly Factorio owned server directory or the Steam one, each one with severe drawbacks for the opposite platform since intergration with the Steam friend system will only really work for the latter one.)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I hate when I get games on steamonly, I want to be able to play the game without interference of steam.
I bought the Civilisation humble bundle just to find out, I can just get these games through steam, and I can't play it without steam? WTF? So I just had to download the game from TPB to be able to play it normally.

So the conclusion is, even if we get to steam, the steam version will be always optional, the DRM free game as it is now will be an always an option.

Return to “News”