Friday Facts #162 - Theme Art Again

Regular reports on Factorio development.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #162 - Theme Art Again

Post by TheSAguy »

For me personally the Biters/Enemy is half the fun of the game. You crash land in a HOSTILE planet and need to not only build your way to "off-planet" but survive at the same time.
I think the game will lost a large part of it's soul by removing them...

EDIT: Are you thinking about removing Enemy or just Artifacts? If just Artifacts, mods could take care of uses for them.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

TheSAguy wrote:For me personally the Biters/Enemy is half the fun of the game. You crash land in a HOSTILE planet and need to not only build your way to "off-planet" but survive at the same time.

EDIT: Are you thinking about removing Enemy or just Artifacts? If just Artifacts, mods could take care of uses for them.
Just artifacts.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

TheSAguy wrote:For me personally the Biters/Enemy is half the fun of the game. You crash land in a HOSTILE planet and need to not only build your way to "off-planet" but survive at the same time.

Just removing the artifacts, the biters will remain

EDIT: I made it slightly clearer in the FFF :)

lingnau
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lingnau »

So long and thanks for all the alien artifacts.

Smart choice with multiplying liquids by 10, I like it. I'm eager to get my hands on the fluid wagon and to work with the new science. Any estimate on when this will arrive for the experimental builds?
Last edited by lingnau on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_________
Whatever I said is not legally binding.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

down with the Alien artifact Image. the end of a pane. :D

0.15 I think new year for that.
Last edited by Lee_newsum on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

While part of me is slightly concerned about the further marginalization of the biters (i.e. more of an annoyance then a part of gameplay), I'm in favour of removing alien artifacts. I think it was either that, or create more production options for lower tier stuff that would use them, but without any way automate the collection of artifacts, that would have hit a dead end, I think.

matheod
Inserter
Inserter

Post by matheod »

I have an idea : artifact could be used to speed up research. You could put artifact in lab and it would increase speed research by 10% for exemple, while slowly consuming artifacts.

Rhamphoryncus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rhamphoryncus »

I agree with the reasons for removing the artifacts but I will miss the little pink anime girls.

Masterfox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Masterfox »

The multiplying of all liquids by 10 will mean all the tanks will be nearly empty, right? This might be pretty bad on the first start and a hand full of mod authors will have to change great parts of their mods.

Mion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mion »

For me it is very good news because battles with biters are very boring in the late game. So, no need in artifacts - no need in biters.
Now we can disable biters absolutely and play in comfortable Industrial-Logistic-Constructor with only Logistics, Trains , Robots and perfect layouts, without "aaa I must destroy yet these ugly cochroach bases which cause an attack of Trypophobia!"
Hooray! Thanks.

MrGoodbits
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MrGoodbits »

I like the idea of the artifacts giving a boost, but maybe not just research. Make them like consumable modules. Anything you feed them into operate 10% better for a time.

"Aliens Power Ups!"

Mr Goodbits...

madpav3l
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by madpav3l »

The alien artifact removal is welcome change it was more of a annoyance also if you multiplied the fluid values by 10 I hope you didn't forget to multiply the barrel volume.

Mion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mion »

Mion wrote:For me it is very good news because battles with biters are very boring in the late game. So, no need in artifacts - no need in biters.
Now we can disable biters absolutely and play in comfortable Industrial-Logistic-Constructor with only Logistics, Trains , Robots and perfect layouts, without "aaa I must destroy yet these ugly cochroach bases which cause an attack of Trypophobia!"
Hooray! Thanks.
In addition to this - problem is not only in biters bases. As it says in FFF, in the late game battle is boring. But not only in the late game, the principe of battle is strange and clumsy.
In the early phase - Super Speed but Weak Cockroaches. Then - less speed but more strong, etc. 4 types. That's all.
Spitters are also clumsy. All you need is making distance from them, or just do step back when spitter attack - and attack will break! Fantastic.
Worms as defence towers?... I don't know. Why they shoot homing missiles?! (By the way - why laser turrets shoot homing lasers?!)

So battle with biters is only fighting with Zerg Rush attacks.

I think - there is 2 ways: either make total revision of Aliens and fighting with them or like now - no need in artifacts > no need in biters.
It's a Factorio, not Fightorio and not Cockroachorio.

Ironhand
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ironhand »

I think you mean prefixes instead of suffixes.
For the unit discussion in the beginning of the FFF.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Masterfox wrote:The multiplying of all liquids by 10 will mean all the tanks will be nearly empty, right? This might be pretty bad on the first start and a hand full of mod authors will have to change great parts of their mods.
The fluids already in fluid boxes will be migrated, and it shoudn't break many mods, as the definition of the fluidbox size is unchanged

Marc90
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Marc90 »

Remove alien artifacts? Why not just remove the biters completely?
They are useless if you don't need them to finish the game because you need the artifacts for science and other things.

EDIT: Oh you don't need them for science any more. But I don't like that decision either.
Last edited by Marc90 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtomicStryker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AtomicStryker »

Great change! It always seemed strange that genocide was mandatory in order to progress and finish the game, that machines would literally run on dead biter babies

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

Marc90 wrote:Remove alien artifacts? Why not just remove the biters completely?
They are useless if you don't need them to finish the game because you need the artifacts for science and other things.
They still represent an obstacle that has to be accounted for. You have to defend against their attacks, which forces you to account for base defenses, as well decide whether you want to take a low pollution strategy. You also have to take over new territory for resources - territory that they might be occupying.

That said, it begs the question: could peaceful mode legitimately function without even bothering to spawn biters now?

Marc90
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Marc90 »

Mehve wrote:
Marc90 wrote:
They still represent an obstacle that has to be accounted for. You have to defend against their attacks, which forces you to account for base defenses, as well decide whether you want to take a low pollution strategy. You also have to take over new territory for resources - territory that they might be occupying.

That said, it begs the question: could peaceful mode legitimately function without even bothering to spawn biters now?
I don't, because I can just disable them completely. They are no benefit. I don't need them to finish the game.

Return to “News”