Friday Facts #161 - Infinite Research and Blueprint Library

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Proxy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #161 - Infinite Research and Blueprint Library

Post by Proxy »

wonder how Infinite Research and the "Research Everything" Achievement will work out

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

rolfl wrote:Personal robo-ports with more robot slots, bigger area, more efficient recharge.

The limits I run in to in large factories are:
- not enough logistics slots to maintian an inventory
- not enough inventory slots to hold all the things I want/need
- logistics robot system is too slow over a large area - faster robots with more capacity
- personal roboport range is not enough for large blueprints
- follower robot count at 134 is "not enough"
- bullet damage/speed is not enough for turret defense against behemoth biters
- turret range is too short (laser-turret is better, but I would like to research an increased gun-turret range).
- cluster-grenade shooting-speed ?
Did you notice that you get more construction robots and greater range the more personal roboports you have?. An MKIII armor with even more space or smaller roboports/reactor would be great. So true about the time to charge.

The logistics network can also be greatly speed up by providing items near where you need them. Place provider chests with replacement turrets along your defence wall and the wall will be repaired much faster and so on.

As for maintaining your inventory: Stop building everything yourself. Yeah, it's slower to wait for the logistics network and you have to build one in the first place. On the other hand it can build 10000 belts in one sweep if you have the robots and belts.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

That works if you're building stuff in your main factory, not so much when you're building an outpost.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:That works if you're building stuff in your main factory, not so much when you're building an outpost.
First thing you build is the train station, unload into provider chests and place a roboport. You can carry that much in the inventory.

How about having a train that picks up all kinds of building material and delivers them to "New Outpost. Then when you build a new outpost you name the station like that and the goods will arrive. When you are done building rename the station and the building train will go somewhere else. Just make sure you have at least a dummy "New Outpost" station so the train doesn't block anything when finding no path.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

You don't necessarily know where you will be placing everything for a new outpost so won't know where to put the roboports. I build all my walls first then worry about coverage. Anyway 5 personal roboports is pretty good atm and they are probably going to introduce a Personal Roboport MK2 with 0.15 so won't be a big deal I think.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

Beewee wrote:When it comes to resource sinks, is the rocket not a large one? I've not yet managed to construct one, so I don't know exactly how demanding it is, or do people just want to give their labs something to do as well?

On the topic of potential research, perhaps add a boost to radar range, it would both be useful to the player and not have any kind of OP effects in-game. Maybe even make it an early to mid-game research (green science?) and allow the player to continue boosting it as the game progresses. Imo research that improves production or energy output should not be made infinitely upgradeable, as this could get quite rediculous given enough time.

Anyways, that's my two cents on the situation, I trust the devs will come up with something exciting and fitting in due time.
The standard rocket is quite a non challenge. By the time you get that set up, you get most of the raw etc. in sizes that a singular rocket silo can not even hope to make challenging. Generally - when I get toe the rocket, I mostly have the stuff to keep one building.

It is more challenging with bobs mod if you use the available endgame mod which means you use a lot of advanced materials.

Return to “News”