Friday Facts #33

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #33

Post by slpwnd »

The Friday Facts are up at : http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-33 This is the end of a very busy week. Time to go to bed :D

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #33

Post by Gammro »

Great update, I'm eager to see what the future has for us :)
Last edited by Gammro on Sat May 10, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ignore this

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

um...sorry to disturb anyone's rest but... I see
www.factorio.com wrote:Congratulations!
Your Docker Container is now running in Elastic Beanstalk on your own dedicated environment in the AWS Cloud.

Tenebrous
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tenebrous »

Try refreshing a few times, it probably accidentally hit a bad load balancing thinger or... no that's the limit of my knowledge on the subject sorry :D

Gauntletwizard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gauntletwizard »

I noticed it in the trailer, and this is my one complaint: Copper bars just look dull when they're exactly the same as Iron. Please change them back, or to a new, unique model.

Skasi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Skasi »

You might want to think about putting up one or two high resolution screenshots to show off some things in greater detail. Personally I love scrolling through a large screenshot in games like OTTD and RCT. Also either my eyes are too tired or it's just the zoom level, but did you make sure to use lossless image compression?

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

Aren't sprites 2D? Why do you need a 3D artist?

Also wanted to say that 20€ seems like a good price for the finished product. Especially if you add stuff like fighting cyborgs, or tanks, or mechs XD If you save that for Factorio 2, I'll buy it. I'll pre-order it. Hell, I want it NOW! XD

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Francisco wrote:Aren't sprites 2D? Why do you need a 3D artist?
They model everything in 3D and then export it as 2D sprites, for better animation I think...I've never done anything in 3D so I'm not sure about the exact difference/gain :)

off topic: yay, I can read the facts now :) the new skin is rather nice, thought it'll take a bit of getting used to :)

DjParagon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DjParagon »

Wow, pretty awesome news overall !

I don't know about waiting and get a full release on Steam that would sell "comme des ptits pains" for sure because at that time people would know it is a solid product and there will be some good reviews/first impressions already, but an early access may get you some early income to help the development of the game while maybe reducing the hype for full the release.

Can't wait for paysafecard, thanks a ton guys, awesome job on everything you rocks ! :D

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

I noticed greenlight getting mentioned a lot recently in regards to steam but personally with a proven title to your names I would just submit to steam as normal. I doubt there will be any issue getting Factorio straight through without having to mess around.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Just a friendly point that Maric found, the blog post says esper.irc.net when it should be irc.esper.net...

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

FreeER wrote:Just a friendly point that Maric found, the blog post says esper.irc.net when it should be irc.esper.net...
Thanks for the catch, it is fixed now.

Akrai
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Akrai »

if we already bought the game, when it is released to steam we will still have it, doesn't we? or we will have to buy it again?

undeadnightorc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by undeadnightorc »

The game has improved leaps and bounds since a year ago, I can't imagine what it will look like another year from now. This is gonna be a fun ride watching it evolve!

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

Well, timing is everything. If there's some sort of endgame content (maybe Albert can draw some stuff Homeworld style, remember that?) and a sandbox experience where people can tinker around freely, it might be a good idea to go as a final release. However, I hope this doesn't mean no more content would be added because, for now, as soon as you get to the top of the technology tree, the game becomes easily stale. So maybe some different mobs and more intricate combat is a good thing to wait for. I believe, however, that this is a decision that's intrinsically woven into where the game is going and what its final form will be.

Long story short: Homeworld-type drawings and music are with me to this day ;-)

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Actually I do know of a group of 3D artists that might be worth approaching

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1391270

This is pretty much the main Team Fortress 2 hat factory. All these guys do is make hats, texture hats, and then Valve pays them for those hats (oh, and they poop out the occasional gun too). They're all young people and from what I know not too many of them actually have a job/life (except for the money they get from Valve, but AFAIK they don't really work on a contract). They're too perfect - except for the fact that a majority of them live in the US. And I'm not sure if any of them would be up for working on anything that isn't TF2.

Yeah and there are hats in DOTA 2... too.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1263081

And this place

http://facepunch.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

And thanks for picking out my screen for this FFF, much appreciated!

Aeden
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aeden »

Akrai wrote:if we already bought the game, when it is released to steam we will still have it, doesn't we? or we will have to buy it again?
If it's released on steam, we should get a steam key to enter then the game will be added without seconde bill to pay. I have done the same with 7DTD and i got it on steam now.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

http://www.factorio.com/preorder
In case we manage to get on the Steam in the future you will also get a steam key.

Maric
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maric »

FreeER wrote:Just a friendly point that Maric found, the blog post says esper.irc.net when it should be irc.esper.net...

yay i helped. im a usefull member of society now :D

but tbh i cant wait for more awesome things to come^^ i might go to prague for vacation soon so maybe i will stalk you people in the carp in honey restaurant ;D

pbhead
Inserter
Inserter

Post by pbhead »

Really looking forward to a "throne room".

Sacrificing your personal inventory in order to place blueprints anywhere, to be built by your robots? No longer having to move from one side of the base to the other? Yes please! Any sort of RTS, select all the robots and tell them to move to the enemy base, attack, and retrieve artifacts for you is just garnish.

Return to “News”