Friday Facts #33

Regular reports on Factorio development.
nepp95
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #33

Post by nepp95 »

Maric wrote:i might go to prague for vacation soon so maybe i will stalk you people in the carp in honey restaurant ;D
This is... creepy...

Voqar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Voqar »

IMO the game has been ready for Steam for some time now. Why mess with greenlight? I have no clue how getting on Steam works but you're nearly up to 20k sold and I'd think that makes you a bit beyond greenlight stage. You sell more and more as you get exposure and I'm sure you'd sell a lot more just being on Steam. You guys are too modest. ;)

I'm not sure a radical price jump is necessary if you can get on Steam. $15 per isn't so bad with the volume you'd move.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

I think the price jump is totally okay, even more when the game gets multiplayer. And while I wouldn't wait for release in summer 2015 before I get this game on steam, I would at least wait until multiplayer is working correctly. That's a big selling factor.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

The price of the game is the same as minecraft's price. 10 Euro in alpha, 15 in beta and 20 as finished game. ^^
Last edited by Nova on Mon May 12, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

WhiteZero
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by WhiteZero »

I implore you guys to launch the full Greenlight campaign as soon as possible and here is why:
You don't need to be anywhere near ready for 1.0 to start cultivating Greenlight votes, nor do you need to be ready for release when your Greenlight gets approved. It simply "reserves" you a spot on Steam when you are ready for release. The current state of the game is more than impressive looking enough to get people to vote for it on Greenlight.

At the moment, there is a lot of buzz being generated for Factorio from the new trailer, YouTube coverage, Reddit, etc. The people who are being exposed to this buzz may or may not be interested enough in Factorio to pre-order the game... however, even those people who may not be ready to pre-order will almost certainly take 10 seconds of their time to vote for a Greenlight. I'll pull a number out of my ass and say: 50% of the people who like the trailer might download the demo, and then maybe 10% of those people will pre-order the game (you guys probably have more accurate number available internally). But I'd like to think 90% of those who like the trailer would be willing to vote Yes on a Greenlight for the game.

Right now a lot of people who see the trailer or other media coverage of the game will go looking for a Greenlight and not have anything to vote on, and a lot of those people may not give the game another look for some time because it's not available on Steam or trying to get on Steam actively. Every day the game isn't active on Greenlight you guys are losing out on potential votes. We may have enough of a pre-order army to vote the game in reliably if you choose to launch a Greenlight closer to release. But at the moment, I'd bet it would be a sure thing that you'd get voted in within a month or two with this buzz. There is so much junk of Greenlight at the moment, mobile ports and the like, that you'd be a prime candidate to surpass most other Greenlight campaigns. Then you still have all the time you need to wait for 1.0, or Early Access if you so choose.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

$10 was fine when this game was just a kickstarter concept. I feel at this point it is a $20 game and when you add multiplayer/better fighting it would be a $30 game. This game is actually better than when I played simcity for the first time and has a lot more replayability value than simcity. It shouldn't be stuck in the bargain bin.

Also remember steam has 50-75% off sales frequently and you want the price of the game to be high enough so you get some decent money when you make it 75% off, then when people regret missing the sale they buy it full price :3

Put factorio on steam greenlight. Steam greenlight is for developing games and factorio is still developing. Right now its more developed than most of the other greenlight games I have bought. Put it on steam and get more exposure for the game you got the new trailer for it.

WhiteZero
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by WhiteZero »

Darthlawsuit wrote:Steam greenlight is for developing games
Not inherently, thats Early Access. Greenlight is to get your approval to sell your game on Steam, in-development or finished.

Return to “News”