Friday Facts #32

Regular reports on Factorio development.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Friday Facts #32

Post by kovarex »

Kadaban wrote:The trailer could have really needed a higher bitrate. Once the zooming and moving starts everything gets a blurry and pixelated.
The original was recorded in 100Mbit/s the video has been downsampled on youtube to quality unknown to me, but surely less than 1/10 of the bitrate.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

Drury wrote:Vimeo allows gaming videos?
Why wouldn't they? I was under the impression that you're free to upload stuff.
Ignore this

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Gammro wrote:
Drury wrote:Vimeo allows gaming videos?
Why wouldn't they? I was under the impression that you're free to upload stuff.
Vimeo doesn't allow gaming videos. You can only upload screen-captured software (how-to's and such) and machinimas. Not sure why.

But apparently game developers can upload trailers.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

kovarex wrote:The original was recorded in 100Mbit/s the video has been downsampled on youtube to quality unknown to me, but surely less than 1/10 of the bitrate.
Below the MediaInfo from the 1080p version of the trailer on youtube: 30pfs framerate, did you export in that format or did youtube interpolate frames? Video bitrate is 4 Mbit.

Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 58.9 MiB
Duration : 1mn 58s
Overall bit rate : 4 183 Kbps
Writing application : Lavf55.21.102

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 3 923 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.063
Stream size : 55.2 MiB (94%)

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 254 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : 33ms
Stream size : 3.57 MiB (6%)

RMJ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RMJ »

That steam generator is absolutely beautiful.

It kinda reminds me of steam generator set reallife, i had as a kid.

RMJ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RMJ »

DRBLN wrote:Great!

I hope you'll earn a lot of money.
Yeah its totally deserved. This game is really a gem!.

I have a feel when multiplayer and being able to play cooperative. then it will really take off. Because then not only can people play together, but you can work together and learn from the better players.

Personally im the kinda guy who likes to learn from seeing and doing, instead of always just tutorials.

Its kinda how transport tycoon was fun alone, but so much more amazing in coop "openttd". and that was just building trains :P

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

One of my best moment with train killing biters is that last moment that resume everything, when we saw FACTORIO writing down with that closing sound ...

I imagine that in some years, we would say : This game or this game is a factorio-like game.

DjParagon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DjParagon »

Hello

First of all, great job so far, this game is really interesting and looks absolutely fantastic, I've always been a big fan of 2D art (born 80's here) and this kind of strategic game fits perfectly in this style.
Also, the trailer is really cool and I hope it will bring a lot more attention.

However, now with the bad things. I know Steam is not your priority, but there are still a lot of people who are unable to buy the game, either don't or can't use a credit card. Steam (and others like GOG) have paysafecard payment which allow to buy a ticket in a real store and then use it online to buy stuff. Auto Club Revolution, Path Of Exile, a lot of indie game developers are starting to use it now and it would be nice to have it there on your website, or have Factorio available on Steam (early access ?).

I would love to buy two copies but at the moment I can not.

Anyway, keep up the good work, thanks for the demo it's a lot of fun, and long live 2D art !

Greetings from Switzerland,
Dj Paragon.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

DjParagon wrote: However, now with the bad things. I know Steam is not your priority, but there are still a lot of people who are unable to buy the game, either don't or can't use a credit card. Steam (and others like GOG) have paysafecard payment which allow to buy a ticket in a real store and then use it online to buy stuff. Auto Club Revolution, Path Of Exile, a lot of indie game developers are starting to use it now and it would be nice to have it there on your website, or have Factorio available on Steam (early access ?).
I will look into having a paysafecard payment option as well. We tried it in the past but it was too much bureaucratic hassle to get going. But now it seems that our new debit card payment provider could have an option for paysafecard as well ...

DjParagon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DjParagon »

Wow that's great news ! Thank you for the heads up, looking forward to it ! :D

BuGGuru
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BuGGuru »

Hi,

i love this game and i love the trailer and the new looks.
I bought this game (via Bitcoin) a while ago and cant wait for the Multiplayer to show it my friends.

Im into Bitcoin for a longer time now and would like to know how much % of the purchases came in via bitcoin as payment.
Especially as you have a limited number on available payment methods.
I would love to hear some numbers :)

Thank you for all of this!

pbhead
Inserter
Inserter

Post by pbhead »

BuGGuru wrote:Hi,

i love this game and i love the trailer and the new looks.
I bought this game (via Bitcoin) a while ago and cant wait for the Multiplayer to show it my friends.

Im into Bitcoin for a longer time now and would like to know how much % of the purchases came in via bitcoin as payment.

Thank you for all of this!
Well, I dont know about others, but the fact that they accepted bitcoin as payment, was a significant factor in me ending up purchasing the game.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

BuGGuru wrote: Im into Bitcoin for a longer time now and would like to know how much % of the purchases came in via bitcoin as payment.
The bitcoin "income" is actually kind of negligible. Until now about 150 people bought the game via bitcoin - so something like 1%. On top of that we lost a portion of that when the MtGox went down:/ But overall, we are happy to provide bitcoin payment solution. It has been the easiest to implement and till now has worked without any problem.

BuGGuru
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BuGGuru »

slpwnd wrote:
BuGGuru wrote: Im into Bitcoin for a longer time now and would like to know how much % of the purchases came in via bitcoin as payment.
The bitcoin "income" is actually kind of negligible. Until now about 150 people bought the game via bitcoin - so something like 1%. On top of that we lost a portion of that when the MtGox went down:/ But overall, we are happy to provide bitcoin payment solution. It has been the easiest to implement and till now has worked without any problem.

Thank you for sharing these information with us.

Return to “News”