Friday Facts #155 - Settling into fall

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Friday Facts #155 - Settling into fall

Post by Loewchen »

British_Petroleum wrote:Can we spectate these challenge scenarios? I'd really like to watch :D
You can after joining, but as of now it is difficult to tell which team is in the lead as you can not see the completion score.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

ManoftheSea wrote:Fluid Train: Is there a link to the explanation of "why"? In absence of that, would someone experienced explain it to me?
A cargo wagon holds 30 items, barrels stack to 10, and hold 25 units of oil. So a cargo wagon holds 7,500 oil. A single chest, at 48 stacks, is even better for holding that oil than storage tanks. A stack inserter, pulling even just 4 units at a time, is around 150-200 fluid moved a second. I admit to not understanding fluid flow, but this thread (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6066) says 150 fluid/second is max length 4 pipes. At zero (storage tank next to pump next to wagon?), the same speed can be reached with multiple inserters or higher upgraded inserters.
Assuming we get barrelized everything: a cargo wagon can reserve slots for various fluids, and filter inserters can pull specifics. A fluid wagon is dedicated in-use and station-stop.

Is it just because the fluid wagon is cool? Because I could believe it.

More or less because its a "set-and-forget" type of solution. Barelling up requires infrastructure, and has constant energy drain, requires space and produces pollution. What is more important, you have to setup an overkill filling setup in the beginning, since you have a high output on pumpjacks, which later becomes totally overkill as the oil source gets closer to the 0.1/s minimum. Right now the set-and-forget solution is running a pipeline together with you rail system so you simply connect to the main pipe on demand when you encounter oil sources, which does not really add anything but a needless iron consumption on a shitton of underground pipes.

An oil wagon would basically encourage a setup where you put down a pumpjack, a tank, and a train which drives in circles around the outpost, collecting the oil.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

MCorgano
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MCorgano »

Could there be set up a page where you can post like the map or screenshots of the winning / loosing production challenge designs? IT'd be a great way to see which designs are better compared to each other head-to-head. It's the perfect environment for scientific and accurate comparisons, and if the maps / end results are just erased it's just a waste.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

MCorgano wrote:Could there be set up a page where you can post like the map or screenshots of the winning / loosing production challenge designs? IT'd be a great way to see which designs are better compared to each other head-to-head. It's the perfect environment for scientific and accurate comparisons, and if the maps / end results are just erased it's just a waste.
Yes, i could look into something cool like this :)

Return to “News”