Friday facts #153 - 0.13 Stable, 0.14 Experimental

Regular reports on Factorio development.
jvanross
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday facts #153 - 0.13 Stable, 0.14 Experimental

Post by jvanross »

Can you guys work on the end game? I'm sure multi-player is important, but I've stopped playing since the end game is so boring.

Thanks.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

jvanross wrote:Can you guys work on the end game? I'm sure multi-player is important, but I've stopped playing since the end game is so boring.

Thanks.
So you just want to delay anyway inevitable end of the game fooooor let me guess... To just ask for more end goals later when you complete existing ones. Am I right?

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

orzelek wrote:
Zeblote wrote:Am I missing something? Opened a tank in 0.14 and it doesn't have a grid.
I think it needs to be modded in - default ones don't have it.
What, why? They should be default :D

wwdragon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by wwdragon »

"at only the cost of his sanity."
lol nice.

Those vehicle upgrades look like a nice first step in modular vehicles.

Are we gonna be able to swap out their weapons for better ones, too?

Jarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jarin »

Need a train schedle departure requirement of "have recovered all robots"

Project Dark Fox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Project Dark Fox »

wwdragon wrote:"at only the cost of his sanity."
lol nice.

Those vehicle upgrades look like a nice first step in modular vehicles.

Are we gonna be able to swap out their weapons for better ones, too?
Just once I'd like to be able to swap the tank cannon for a multi-missile launcher.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

jvanross wrote:Can you guys work on the end game? I'm sure multi-player is important, but I've stopped playing since the end game is so boring.

Thanks.
Yes, but we first need to fix bugs and then make new content. 0.14 is a big bugfix in a sense.

Lilly
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lilly »

Great, this will make portable laser turrets much more useful.

Also, roboports on cargo wagons. :D Fill up that mammoth train, grab that blueprint and start driving...

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Well the equipment grids are really a cool idea. I really like it... It would be nice if they get implemented to the base game.

One thing I didn't fully get though... do Logistic Bots work in Train Cars when it's standing still at a Trainstop even in automatic mode or not? Because that sentence seemed a bit "confusing" to me. xD

Cerus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cerus »

Ideas for vehicle equipment modules:
  • Plow - [medium] allows the vehicle it's on to push through obstacles with less resistance or damage to itself
  • Fuel Feeder -[medium] allows the vehicle to run on fuel from its inventory (or trains from the inventory of the closest attached cargo wagon) (would recommend with a fuel rebalance)
  • Repair Module - [small] allows the vehicle to slowly self-repair using repair kits from own or attached inventory without needing a full-fledged roboport (it's nice to have multiple ways to do similar things, it's the Factorio way!)
  • Radar Module - [medium] (similar to structure radar)
  • Armor Plating - [tiny] absorbs damage taken. Difference from shields: Doesn't require power, offers much more short-term HP per grid unit and is inexpensive but doesn't recharge on its own and must be repaired
  • Remote Control - [large] allows you to control the vehicle remotely if it's within a certain range (maybe a new logistics extending antenna structure would go well with this?), could possibly accept certain inputs for semi-automation
  • Item Scoop - [medium] allows a remotely controlled vehicle to pick up items off the ground, allows a vehicle with a plow to pick up ore from ore fields as it moves
  • Electric Converter - [huge] allows the vehicle to run off stored charge, charges when stationary and in a power pole field of effect (too large to equip alongside a fusion reactor)

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AutoMcD »

Some of these ideas I've wanted to try making already but did not get very far because of the hard-coded nature of equipment behavior.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28880

My personal defense gun is pretty nice, though getting the ammo to work was quite a hack and it still shows as "energy" despite using bullets.

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

I was thinking that maybe vehicles should have a mk 2 version to enable modules. After all all this stuff should have at least a Cpu (blue circuit) to coordinate everything.

kane.nexus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Suggestion: Control train speed because portable roboport

Post by kane.nexus »

:idea: Suggestion: With the addition of roboports being able to work in trains, could we get a track piece that limits the speed of the train or able to set a speed limit on a piece of regular track that would change in appearance if it changes a train's speed? This would allow us to have a loop for the train to go around the base to provide ammo and repair to the turrets around the perimeter of the base without stopping just crawl at a good pace because full speed would be terrible for bots.

Or a better implementation of speed control might be a setting inside the train to slow down or stop if a bot leaves the train until the bot returns. This suggestion might be easier to implement because it would be entirely GUI based. Also with being able to stop trains if bots leave it would make train stops less frequent inside bases because the train could feed or empty itself as it passes a base.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Suggestion: Control train speed because portable roboport

Post by iamwyza »

kane.nexus wrote::idea: Suggestion: With the addition of roboports being able to work in trains, could we get a track piece that limits the speed of the train or able to set a speed limit on a piece of regular track that would change in appearance if it changes a train's speed? This would allow us to have a loop for the train to go around the base to provide ammo and repair to the turrets around the perimeter of the base without stopping just crawl at a good pace because full speed would be terrible for bots.

Or a better implementation of speed control might be a setting inside the train to slow down or stop if a bot leaves the train until the bot returns. This suggestion might be easier to implement because it would be entirely GUI based. Also with being able to stop trains if bots leave it would make train stops less frequent inside bases because the train could feed or empty itself as it passes a base.
This. So much this.

That said, you could cheat this in. Just put a train stops the width of the roboport's reach apart. Then have it stop at each stop until Circuit Network Condition of [Constructor Bot] = Number of Bots you should have AND time passed > 5 seconds (to give them time to leave) OR Time passed > 30 seconds (in case some bots died you don't want it stuck there forever. Time consuming, but would totally achieve your goal.

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

Vehicle grids? YES, I finally add this crap to the Aircraft mod! Someone had suggested shielding for them, but I didn't know if it could be done.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

Cerus wrote:Ideas for vehicle equipment modules:
  • (snip)
  • Item Scoop - [medium] allows a remotely controlled vehicle to pick up items off the ground, allows a vehicle with a plow to pick up ore from ore fields as it moves
Picking up some ores would be nice, but how about the trees we'll eventually be driving through? Some way to quickly cut down the trees close to the vehicle and then put them in the inventory would be great, and now that we've got the grid system for vehicle it looks easy to get it rolling.

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

I am playing Factorio since 2 years always with Marathon, and sometimes RSO mods. Those make the game very interesting, factory gigantics, well thought rail network essential, the coal/stone age more important and gun turrets impossible to be skipped. Each tier of the game you created, programmed, balanced and unbugged are hard to reach and make them very tasty. We already talked a lot about balancing ect, many topics about. I simply want to say:

TL;DR: Please make add more settings for starting new game:
- Ores: Very Rare Ores = RSO-kind of super really rare.
- Balancing: Normal/Slow/Marathon gameplay.
- Difficulty: Normal/Hardcore/Nightmare Aliens.
- Challenges: Normal/No solar/No laser/No train (like impossible to craft or research, totally disapperead of the research tree and craft inventory)
- Ect...

Yes all of that Gameplay modifications can be made/added by mods, but from the vanilla, this sounds simply a gigantic lifespan of the game. I'm not talking about adding new content.

Thanks a lot. Have a nice day, and still thank you so so much for the stable 0.13, Factorio is to me one of the best game I ever played in my whole life.
Ohz.
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

ricky3350
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ricky3350 »

The Phoenixian wrote:As far as suggestions go, I think the first and most obvious is an onboard electric generator: Just as any real world car can pull energy from the engine to run it's peripherals, so too could vehicles use their fuel stocks in order to power grid equipment.
hitzu wrote::idea: What if the Fusion Reactor would turn the locomotive into an Electric Locomotive and feed it with power :?:
The electric generator should do three things:
  1. Power other modules from fuel
  2. Power the car from stored/produced energy (e.g. batteries/fusion reactor)
  3. Convert movement into energy to charge batteries (like a hybrid car)

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shaymes »

dont forget the lokomotive pls
i prefer trains more then tanks so it will be nice to equip them with shields too
and i love the idea of a mobile roboport in a lokomotive for train automatet outpost repair :)
maybe a provider and requester wagong or a signal from a roboport what items the construction obots need
so that i can unload the requestet stuff by logic network
Mining Drill Operator

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

y.petremann wrote:
Mangledpork wrote:Somebody make that mod! Go, go, go!
I'm about to make a mod to see effects of modules in vehicles, but I would not be able to do and release this night, so at least if tomorow there is no mods, I will do it !!!
As promised I made the mod to have equipment grids in all vehicle (including modded ones).

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Y.Petrem ... Equipement

There is also this mod that does the same thing but not to modded vehicles :

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Lejving/Grid

Return to “News”