Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Regular reports on Factorio development.
User avatar
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 6724
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by bobingabout » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:43 am

brunzenstein wrote:
bobingabout wrote:no cake this week?
slacking? - not at all - I have sent a box of finest 2011 Merlot over to Prag to enhance development.
You must really love this game!
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

EncryptingWolf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:52 am
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by EncryptingWolf » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:11 am

If you look just below to the right of where it says Pump v.2, it says LIQUID WAGON!! :shock: :shock: Where finally getting the liquid wagon! :D

User avatar
brunzenstein
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by brunzenstein » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:30 am

bobingabout wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:
bobingabout wrote:no cake this week?
slacking? - not at all - I have sent a box of finest 2011 Merlot over to Prag to enhance development.
You must really love this game!
You are right.
I enjoy the game as much as my wife hates it - and believe me, that's a lot!
Next Friday another gift-parcel from me shall hit the WUBE bunker in Praha with full force :P

timesinker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by timesinker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:03 pm

Gertibrumm wrote:Can we get blend files? If so how about using the community to integrate into some steps of this workflow?
I would love to help with modeling and concepts for instance!
blend files would be absolutely great !

DerHerrWolken
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by DerHerrWolken » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:18 pm

if we get a pump that can fill liquids into train wagons we also should get a steam locomotive that comes with its own water+coal wagon that has not to be build separate (tho looks like a separate wagon) but is part of the locomotive. it should be the "early and cheap" train that could later be upgraded to the diesel version. can i haz, plz?

Image
Image
Last edited by DerHerrWolken on Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
brunzenstein
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by brunzenstein » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:25 pm

DerHerrWolken wrote:if we get a pump that can fill liquids into train wagons we also should get a steam locomotives that comes wit its own water+coal wagon that has not to be build separate (tho looks like a separate wagon) but is part of the locomotive. it should be the "early and cheap" train that could late be upgradet to the diesel version. can i haz, plz?
Nice idea indeed
Last edited by brunzenstein on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 970
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by Xterminator » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:15 pm

Nice info. It's always interesting to see the behind the scenes stuff once in a while. I didn't realize so much into making a new entity and how many steps it goes through. :o
Image Image Image

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by pib » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:54 pm

Anyone else do a double take at the blender scene? It's some kind of train station (you can make out those words in the RenderLayer setup box), but it looks nothing like the station that is currently in the game. I wonder if / when we will see that graphic in game.

CodeZ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by CodeZ » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:09 pm

pib wrote:Anyone else do a double take at the blender scene? It's some kind of train station (you can make out those words in the RenderLayer setup box), but it looks nothing like the station that is currently in the game. I wonder if / when we will see that graphic in game.
That's most probably the new train station that is in the game since 0.13.0 experimental.

bartekltg
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by bartekltg » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:47 pm

DerHerrWolken wrote:if we get a pump that can fill liquids into train wagons we also should get a steam locomotive that comes with its own water+coal wagon that has not to be build separate (tho looks like a separate wagon) but is part of the locomotive. it should be the "early and cheap" train that could later be upgraded to the diesel version. can i haz, plz?
I agree. Water is what is missing in the coal powered engine. But I do not think we should change the design. The locomotive with 'eternal coal supply' is optimized for manual operation. A man or two constantly put coal with shovels. An automatic construction probably would be integrated. Especially as coal in factorio has huge energy density, it just took so little space... How many days a train can move on one wagon of coal? ;-)

On the other hand, it may looks very nice, and gives player a visual indicator how much fuel left in a train.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:12 am
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by RobertTerwilliger » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:11 pm

DerHerrWolken wrote:if we get a pump that can fill liquids into train wagons we also should get a steam locomotive
It'll be a pain if one runs out of liquid (water for steam locomotive / liquid fuel for diesel locomotive) 'cause you'll have trouble refilling it.
As well you won't be able to easily start rails while being bounded to water piping to at least one of stations for every train's schedule. This one is less bothering if you're trying to slowly change solid fuel engines to liquid fuel ones, as you are kind of upgrading the system - you can do it slowly, not all trains at once.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some realistic stages of trains' development, however if realism stands on the way of comfort playing - the hell with realism then, I say.
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Ищу, теряя" (rus, 2013)

DerHerrWolken
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by DerHerrWolken » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:16 pm

RobertTerwilliger wrote:
DerHerrWolken wrote:...
It'll be a pain if one runs out of liquid (water for steam locomotive / liquid fuel for diesel locomotive) 'cause you'll have trouble refilling it.
As well you won't be able to easily start rails while being bounded to water piping to at least one of stations for every train's schedule. This one is less bothering if you're trying to slowly change solid fuel engines to liquid fuel ones, as you are kind of upgrading the system - you can do it slowly, not all trains at once.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some realistic stages of trains' development, however if realism stands on the way of comfort playing - the hell with realism then, I say.
I see your point and would also agree about your opinion about realism. I just want more stuff to play around with. So, how about this:

We already have barrels for oil. So, why don't we add water barrels and add the option to "craft" empty barrel from water barrels by filling the water into trains. Maybe one should also be able to "craft" water barrels by using an offshore pump or the new pump station while have an empty barrel in your inventory. What do you think?

User avatar
Niuno
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:32 am
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by Niuno » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:00 pm

DerHerrWolken wrote:
RobertTerwilliger wrote:
DerHerrWolken wrote:...
It'll be a pain if one runs out of liquid (water for steam locomotive / liquid fuel for diesel locomotive) 'cause you'll have trouble refilling it.
As well you won't be able to easily start rails while being bounded to water piping to at least one of stations for every train's schedule. This one is less bothering if you're trying to slowly change solid fuel engines to liquid fuel ones, as you are kind of upgrading the system - you can do it slowly, not all trains at once.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some realistic stages of trains' development, however if realism stands on the way of comfort playing - the hell with realism then, I say.
I see your point and would also agree about your opinion about realism. I just want more stuff to play around with. So, how about this:

We already have barrels for oil. So, why don't we add water barrels and add the option to "craft" empty barrel from water barrels by filling the water into trains. Maybe one should also be able to "craft" water barrels by using an offshore pump or the new pump station while have an empty barrel in your inventory. What do you think?
I agree. Barrels should be used more in the game. Not only for rude oil, but also the petrol etc. And of course water would be nice.

gacekssj4
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by gacekssj4 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:05 am

What do I see... *glares*: "Liquid wagon adapter" :):) +1!

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:56 am
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by Harkonnen604 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:17 pm

brunzenstein wrote:I encourage everyone to follow my example...
Attachments
merlot.jpg
merlot.jpg (73.07 KiB) Viewed 2648 times

User avatar
brunzenstein
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by brunzenstein » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:10 pm

Harkonnen604 wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:I encourage everyone to follow my example...
Image That outdoes my comparable tiny Merlot shipment of three bottles only by that two tank loads by a far shot indeed! :D

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:12 am
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by RobertTerwilliger » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:01 pm

DerHerrWolken wrote:We already have barrels for oil. So, why don't we add water barrels and add the option to "craft" empty barrel from water barrels by filling the water into trains. Maybe one should also be able to "craft" water barrels by using an offshore pump or the new pump station while have an empty barrel in your inventory. What do you think?
Very good point. Hear it, Wube!
DerHerrWolken wrote:I just want more stuff to play around with.
As I've said, liquid fuel locomoive would serve good as the thing "to play with" - because you won't need to launch whole system for it from the start - you'll just need to slowly upgrade existing network. Install fueling equipment at stations, set up fuel delivery and finally, upgrade locootive itself)
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Ищу, теряя" (rus, 2013)

User avatar
vaderciya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:55 am
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by vaderciya » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:13 am

I love this graphics stuff! However, there is a pending issue..... We NEED rail tankers!!! C'mon guys! It should've been added the moment normal wagons were. In addition to all of the rail related stuff that was in the last update, It would make a lot of sense from both a development and a player need standpoint, rail tankers should be added!! (if you're lazy im sure a modder would give you his code, but that's not the point. The point is, that we should have already had it by now)

vic3k
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by vic3k » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:06 pm

The last pic :idea:
UML is dead, long live FactorioUML

User avatar
MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by MeduSalem » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:51 am

Niuno wrote:
DerHerrWolken wrote:We already have barrels for oil. So, why don't we add water barrels and add the option to "craft" empty barrel from water barrels by filling the water into trains. Maybe one should also be able to "craft" water barrels by using an offshore pump or the new pump station while have an empty barrel in your inventory. What do you think?
I agree. Barrels should be used more in the game. Not only for rude oil, but also the petrol etc. And of course water would be nice.
Please not... I'm totally against adding more barrels.

If at all the barrels should get entirely removed once the tank wagon is in the game... because there is absolutely no point in having them then.

Yeah of course there's the argument that Barreled fluid is way more compressed than using storage tanks/pipes (increasing possible throughput) but that doesn't change my opinion that the barrels are placeholder items until a tank wagon is implemented being able to universally transport any desired liquid (even those from mods).

Adding more barrels would only unnecessarely clutter the menus and nothing more.

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users