Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Regular reports on Factorio development.
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday facts #146 - The GFX workflow

Post by bobingabout »

brunzenstein wrote:
bobingabout wrote:no cake this week?
slacking? - not at all - I have sent a box of finest 2011 Merlot over to Prag to enhance development.
You must really love this game!
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

EncryptingWolf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by EncryptingWolf »

If you look just below to the right of where it says Pump v.2, it says LIQUID WAGON!! :shock: :shock: Where finally getting the liquid wagon! :D

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

bobingabout wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:
bobingabout wrote:no cake this week?
slacking? - not at all - I have sent a box of finest 2011 Merlot over to Prag to enhance development.
You must really love this game!
You are right.
I enjoy the game as much as my wife hates it - and believe me, that's a lot!
Next Friday another gift-parcel from me shall hit the WUBE bunker in Praha with full force :P

timesinker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by timesinker »

Gertibrumm wrote:Can we get blend files? If so how about using the community to integrate into some steps of this workflow?
I would love to help with modeling and concepts for instance!
blend files would be absolutely great !

DerHerrWolken
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DerHerrWolken »

if we get a pump that can fill liquids into train wagons we also should get a steam locomotive that comes with its own water+coal wagon that has not to be build separate (tho looks like a separate wagon) but is part of the locomotive. it should be the "early and cheap" train that could later be upgraded to the diesel version. can i haz, plz?

Last edited by DerHerrWolken on Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

DerHerrWolken wrote:if we get a pump that can fill liquids into train wagons we also should get a steam locomotives that comes wit its own water+coal wagon that has not to be build separate (tho looks like a separate wagon) but is part of the locomotive. it should be the "early and cheap" train that could late be upgradet to the diesel version. can i haz, plz?
Nice idea indeed
Last edited by brunzenstein on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Nice info. It's always interesting to see the behind the scenes stuff once in a while. I didn't realize so much into making a new entity and how many steps it goes through. :o
Image Image Image

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

Anyone else do a double take at the blender scene? It's some kind of train station (you can make out those words in the RenderLayer setup box), but it looks nothing like the station that is currently in the game. I wonder if / when we will see that graphic in game.

CodeZ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CodeZ »

pib wrote:Anyone else do a double take at the blender scene? It's some kind of train station (you can make out those words in the RenderLayer setup box), but it looks nothing like the station that is currently in the game. I wonder if / when we will see that graphic in game.
That's most probably the new train station that is in the game since 0.13.0 experimental.

bartekltg
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bartekltg »

DerHerrWolken wrote:if we get a pump that can fill liquids into train wagons we also should get a steam locomotive that comes with its own water+coal wagon that has not to be build separate (tho looks like a separate wagon) but is part of the locomotive. it should be the "early and cheap" train that could later be upgraded to the diesel version. can i haz, plz?
I agree. Water is what is missing in the coal powered engine. But I do not think we should change the design. The locomotive with 'eternal coal supply' is optimized for manual operation. A man or two constantly put coal with shovels. An automatic construction probably would be integrated. Especially as coal in factorio has huge energy density, it just took so little space... How many days a train can move on one wagon of coal? ;-)

On the other hand, it may looks very nice, and gives player a visual indicator how much fuel left in a train.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

DerHerrWolken wrote:if we get a pump that can fill liquids into train wagons we also should get a steam locomotive
It'll be a pain if one runs out of liquid (water for steam locomotive / liquid fuel for diesel locomotive) 'cause you'll have trouble refilling it.
As well you won't be able to easily start rails while being bounded to water piping to at least one of stations for every train's schedule. This one is less bothering if you're trying to slowly change solid fuel engines to liquid fuel ones, as you are kind of upgrading the system - you can do it slowly, not all trains at once.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some realistic stages of trains' development, however if realism stands on the way of comfort playing - the hell with realism then, I say.
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "ะ˜ั‰ัƒ, ั‚ะตั€ัั" (rus, 2013)

DerHerrWolken
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DerHerrWolken »

RobertTerwilliger wrote:
DerHerrWolken wrote:...
It'll be a pain if one runs out of liquid (water for steam locomotive / liquid fuel for diesel locomotive) 'cause you'll have trouble refilling it.
As well you won't be able to easily start rails while being bounded to water piping to at least one of stations for every train's schedule. This one is less bothering if you're trying to slowly change solid fuel engines to liquid fuel ones, as you are kind of upgrading the system - you can do it slowly, not all trains at once.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some realistic stages of trains' development, however if realism stands on the way of comfort playing - the hell with realism then, I say.
I see your point and would also agree about your opinion about realism. I just want more stuff to play around with. So, how about this:

We already have barrels for oil. So, why don't we add water barrels and add the option to "craft" empty barrel from water barrels by filling the water into trains. Maybe one should also be able to "craft" water barrels by using an offshore pump or the new pump station while have an empty barrel in your inventory. What do you think?

Niuno
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Niuno »

DerHerrWolken wrote:
RobertTerwilliger wrote:
DerHerrWolken wrote:...

I see your point and would also agree about your opinion about realism. I just want more stuff to play around with. So, how about this:

We already have barrels for oil. So, why don't we add water barrels and add the option to "craft" empty barrel from water barrels by filling the water into trains. Maybe one should also be able to "craft" water barrels by using an offshore pump or the new pump station while have an empty barrel in your inventory. What do you think?
I agree. Barrels should be used more in the game. Not only for rude oil, but also the petrol etc. And of course water would be nice.

gacekssj4
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gacekssj4 »

What do I see... *glares*: "Liquid wagon adapter" :):) +1!

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

brunzenstein wrote:I encourage everyone to follow my example...
Attachments
merlot.jpg
merlot.jpg (73.07 KiB) Viewed 7369 times

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Harkonnen604 wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:I encourage everyone to follow my example...
Image That outdoes my comparable tiny Merlot shipment of three bottles only by that two tank loads by a far shot indeed! :D

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

DerHerrWolken wrote:We already have barrels for oil. So, why don't we add water barrels and add the option to "craft" empty barrel from water barrels by filling the water into trains. Maybe one should also be able to "craft" water barrels by using an offshore pump or the new pump station while have an empty barrel in your inventory. What do you think?
Very good point. Hear it, Wube!
DerHerrWolken wrote:I just want more stuff to play around with.
As I've said, liquid fuel locomoive would serve good as the thing "to play with" - because you won't need to launch whole system for it from the start - you'll just need to slowly upgrade existing network. Install fueling equipment at stations, set up fuel delivery and finally, upgrade locootive itself)
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "ะ˜ั‰ัƒ, ั‚ะตั€ัั" (rus, 2013)

vaderciya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vaderciya »

I love this graphics stuff! However, there is a pending issue..... We NEED rail tankers!!! C'mon guys! It should've been added the moment normal wagons were. In addition to all of the rail related stuff that was in the last update, It would make a lot of sense from both a development and a player need standpoint, rail tankers should be added!! (if you're lazy im sure a modder would give you his code, but that's not the point. The point is, that we should have already had it by now)

vic3k
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by vic3k »

The last pic :idea:
UML is dead, long live FactorioUML

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Niuno wrote:
DerHerrWolken wrote:We already have barrels for oil. So, why don't we add water barrels and add the option to "craft" empty barrel from water barrels by filling the water into trains. Maybe one should also be able to "craft" water barrels by using an offshore pump or the new pump station while have an empty barrel in your inventory. What do you think?
I agree. Barrels should be used more in the game. Not only for rude oil, but also the petrol etc. And of course water would be nice.
Please not... I'm totally against adding more barrels.

If at all the barrels should get entirely removed once the tank wagon is in the game... because there is absolutely no point in having them then.

Yeah of course there's the argument that Barreled fluid is way more compressed than using storage tanks/pipes (increasing possible throughput) but that doesn't change my opinion that the barrels are placeholder items until a tank wagon is implemented being able to universally transport any desired liquid (even those from mods).

Adding more barrels would only unnecessarely clutter the menus and nothing more.

Return to โ€œNewsโ€