Friday Facts #144 - The gfx report

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #144 - The gfx report

Post by Jonathan88 »

Great FFF guys!
About the terrain improvements... when we get more water based mechanics (ie boats), maybe we could have rivers in the world generation?
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

FlyHigh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FlyHigh »

As far as terrain goes, may there could be a fix for the 'lack of features' that happens when you remove a floor. That is a bug, correct?
>>> Maxwell R. Black <<<

ShredGuy99
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShredGuy99 »

So much awesomeness going on in one place... The new trains designs look fantastic and it does my obsessive compulsive nature much good in seeing that the train cargo wagons will have a fixed number of inserters that can be placed per wagon... Whether that's a vertical or horizontal station. (That being said, I'm not sure I'll be able to live with both horizontal and vertical train stations on the same map... It seems so wrong!)

It looks like the max number of inserters per cargo wagon will be 6 per side - is that the case? I need to prepare my mind for Monday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h81Ojd3d2rY

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Jonathan88 wrote:Great FFF guys!
About the terrain improvements... when we get more water based mechanics (ie boats), maybe we could have rivers in the world generation?
I like this idea as well, in general I find the environment variety to be a bit lacking compared to the other features of the game. With the introduction of landfill in .13 water is not going to be a big obstacle any more. Having rivers and actual water mechanics that allow (and require) rerouteing and building bridges over them would add a lot to the game.

Being able to remove water by just throwing lots of stone in it is not something that challenges the player or something that he can improve later on.

Serge
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Serge »

Jonathan88 wrote:Great FFF guys!
Good idea, and I want bridges for my trains! (maybe not terrain but still :))

Edit: ah Loewchen beat me to it. Anyway, bridges!

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

Maybe there is hope again for my idea back from 2014: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6996&p=54681&hilit= ... ble#p54681
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

What is be new object? Belt blocker or power switcher? or cicuit writer/reader?
Attachments
New object.png
New object.png (53.61 KiB) Viewed 6606 times
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Anyone else noticed the new inserters have double wide arms?

Walsy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Walsy »

When they say that everything is going to have a high-res image, what does that mean for the regular versions? Are they staying the same or going to be simpler definitions of the new high-res images?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

aklesey1 wrote:What is be new object? Belt blocker or power switcher? or cicuit writer/reader?
Just the cursor holding a stack of signals, its necessary to do so to see the new rail information graphics.

devoidfury
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by devoidfury »

I'm very excited about the circuit network updates. I write a lot of javascript/python during the day, but after work it's all JIT factories and playing with light displays. Thanks!

Zero
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zero »

This game would never come out if they didn't set a fixed release date. I've been worried its been dead for the past month until I checked here.

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

Zero wrote:This game would never come out if they didn't set a fixed release date. I've been worried its been dead for the past month until I checked here.
Thankfully not even close to dead! :D Even if it were, though.. 0.12.xx is already the greatest game of all time, and 0.13 is looking to be a huge improvement on that!

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Nobody gets as excited about a developers news like "more entities at some point" than the Factorio community :D

lrb2_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lrb2_ »

Zeblote wrote:Anyone else noticed the new inserters have double wide arms?
Are those the graphics for the stack rapid inserters? :idea: That must mean that all of the inserters, like the chests, might be smart! :) (It would be illogical to have two green-colored inserters.)

P.S. I don't remember seeing this change said in a FFF, but I might be mistaken. However, I the stack rapid inserters were previously purple, as shown in FFF 137.

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

Thank you for the description on your perspective on the factorio design/making, will be interesting to see where it finally ends up as the teams vision sees it. ;)

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

aklesey1 wrote:What is be new object? Belt blocker or power switcher? or cicuit writer/reader?
It is a signal, which he is holding, so the signal-placing indicators are on next to the rail.
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

Looking good, can't wait till Monday.

Hoping that someday they are able to improve the game performance more so I can't make an unplayable in such a short period of time.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

If you're going to be saving out all the graphics again anyway this would be a good time to move to a rectangular instead of square grid. I know it's more work than it sounds but worth it to respect the viewing angle and future proof against more object rotation problems.

davidmm18
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by davidmm18 »

I'll admit I'm worried hearing about the new GUI, as I like how simple (minimalistic?) the current GUI is. The logistic items overview is really the only I can think of needs fixing in the current one. Hopefully we'll get to see a mock-up of the new one soon. Really looking forward to the HD sprites though.

Return to “News”