Friday Facts #142 - Playtesting

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #142 - Playtesting

Post by Nova »

Could still be the train station, just with some addition design on the rails.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

damn those graphics.

SOON, DEVS. SOON.

lrb2_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lrb2_ »

Liking the armor inventory space bonuses! Wish the update would have been released this week, but as long as the time is being used to make a more polished update. :) I just hope that the 0.13 update is released before the Steam Summer Sale begins... ;)

Now, in what circumstances would one need or desire to use a circuit network-connected wall? Sure, it could give it's durability, but that would be a lot of walls to connect using wires for limited usability... At least it will be in the game for someone to use if they so desire.

I was also curious as to what the crane-like thing is... I can see how it could be train-related because there are two empty vertical lines to the left of the crane tower that could be for rails.
[quote="y.petremann"]This is the new graphics for the train stations[/quote]
If it is a specialized train station, rather than a sensor of some sort, I wonder how it is animated and what advantages it has the current (0.12) fast inserters... :?:

EDIT: Thinking of the wrong type of train station. It's actually similar to the current "Train Stop," but also reads contents. It was rather vaguely described in FFF 138:
Robert wrote:Train Station - read the contents of the stopped train and control trains by disabling/enabling the station
Last edited by lrb2_ on Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

I wonder, with the chests getting circuit connections, is there' a point to having the smart chest?
slindenau wrote:Edit: sorry, steam HAD a different picture in the update than on the site...

This one in fact:

Ooooh~ I like the belt attachment. Read items passing through it? Block items passing through it?! :D

lrb2_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lrb2_ »

vedrit wrote:I wonder, with the chests getting circuit connections, is there' a point to having the smart chest?
I thought they said in one of their FFFs that they would be removing the smart chest? I might be wrong, though.

EDIT: Here.
Robert wrote:All types of chests can be connected to the circuit network. Smart Chest was removed from the game.
Last edited by lrb2_ on Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Yeah i would love to put a red wire to my walls.
Looks like a little joke with the circuit box and the wall.

Nice new graphis, seems to look more dirty and industrial.

The yellow belt thingy could be a item counter and the crane looks nice.
Hope it can put coal into locos.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

MiiNiPaa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MiiNiPaa »

vedrit wrote:I wonder, with the chests getting circuit connections, is there' a point to having the smart chest?
It was removed.
FFF138 wrote:All types of chests can be connected to the circuit network. Smart Chest was removed from the game.
vedrit wrote:Ooooh~ I like the belt attachment. Read items passing through it? Block items passing through it?! :D
Reads items passing through it and turning on off. Was mentioned in FFF138.
FFF138 wrote:Transport belts can be turned on or off based on circuit or logistic condition. You can also read the contents of the belt in 2 ways: pulse mode and hold mode. Pulse mode sends a signal for 1 tick when an item enters the belt. Hold mode will send the number of items on the current belt as long as they sit there. Those familiar with combinators will probably figure out that pulse mode is very useful for calculating the throughput of the belt or calculating the total number of items that passed though that belt.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

I think that's a gate and no wall.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by provet »

If u like it, put a wire on it.. :)

lrb2_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lrb2_ »

Nova wrote:I think that's a gate and no wall.
That would make much more sense than a network-connected wall! :lol:

MiiNiPaa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MiiNiPaa »

It might be a wall near the gate. The one with lights.

silverkitty23
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by silverkitty23 »

Much like a few youtubers I've seen, my late game armor use involves multiple sets of Power Armor Mk II that I swap out for different reasons.
But I can't quick-swap by dragging from inventory to armor slot. I have to remove the old armor and put on the new armor because *everything except armor* swaps when you drop it on a slot, but armor does not.

Anyway, the point is: with the bonus inventory slots, I guess now I'll have to be careful to never use them because I'll end up dropping everything when switching armor sets. Sigh.

EvilMushroom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by EvilMushroom »

Good call on the inventory space. I have yet to encounter a game where I thought "You know, what this game really needs is a mechanic forcing me to spend more time messing with my inventory".

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Mh, looks weird. A single gate also looks different than on this picture, but a connected wall makes no sense.
Greetings, Nova.

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

Nova wrote:Mh, looks weird. A single gate also looks different than on this picture, but a connected wall makes no sense.
There's a full rail signal and gate circuit network example in FFF 140 (http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-140). You can see where on the gate the wire goes before these graphics were added.

lrb2_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lrb2_ »

silverkitty23 wrote:Anyway, the point is: with the bonus inventory slots, I guess now I'll have to be careful to never use them because I'll end up dropping everything when switching armor sets. Sigh.
That was my first thought also. I wonder if the armor inventory would be visually separate from the player's main inventory? In that case, you could have inventory in each of your armor sets so that you always have the items and tools that you need when you put that set of armor on... :?: That would mean that the inventory would not spill out onto the ground, but be carried around in the armor, which could be useful... :idea: Keeping extra ammunition in your battle armor would be nice.

MiiNiPaa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MiiNiPaa »

lrb2_ wrote:In that case, you could have inventory in each of your armor sets so that you always have the items and tools that you need when you put that set of armor on... :?: That would mean that the inventory would not spill out onto the ground, but be carried around in the armor, which could be useful..
That would actually mean <amount_of_slots_in_armor - 1> × <Normal_invertory_slots> more invertory slots per character.
Last edited by MiiNiPaa on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LoSboccacc »

the attention to detail and the amount of love that go in this game is nothing short of amazing!

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

I wouldn't recommend having armors themselves give inventory space, unless the armor research itself gave space that was permanent and totally independent of the armor. People switch armor setups and neither dropping the extra inventory on the ground nor disabling those slots until armor is equipped seems like an acceptable way to work around it.

Having some sort of chest inside the armor doesn't make sense either.

Rocksen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rocksen »

MiiNiPaa wrote:
lrb2_ wrote:
silverkitty23 wrote:In that case, you could have inventory in each of your armor sets so that you always have the items and tools that you need when you put that set of armor on... :?: That would mean that the inventory would not spill out onto the ground, but be carried around in the armor, which could be useful..
That would actually mean <amount_of_slots_in_armor - 1> × <Normal_invertory_slots> more invertory slots per character.
yes this, would be nice but then why even have inventory space at all. extra space was needed but not amount_of_slots_in_best_armor x inventory_slots. =s

i love the way things are turning out, it's almost like everything has been redone =o.

keep up the good work <3 Factorio

Return to “News”