Friday Facts #141 - Mod Portal

Regular reports on Factorio development.
equitime77
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #141 - Mod Portal

Post by equitime77 »

Im liking that train. It will be good to have modpacks, but Im sure we can wait for that.

Zabanov
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zabanov »

Zeblote wrote:
doc wrote:
Zabanov wrote:Not to sound like an ingrateful prick (probably will still sound like one) but will there be an option to keep using the old choo choo model? They both look great, I just got really attached to the current choo choo.
I'm sure someone will make a mod for this in no time...
The old graphics would be incompatible as they don't have seperate wheels, don't stretch properly on curves, etc...
oh noes, however hopefully someone will make a mod out of it like others mentioned. However I am getting more and more used to the new model, the more I look at it :D

Islacrusez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Islacrusez »

Well thank you Factorio Forums for deleting my entire post because it contained a URL despite not warning me that apparently I'm not allowed to post URLs.

Guess I'll have to try again. Pardon me if I'm a little short this time around, I don't appreciate having to redo things.

I love the track-following wheels. I don't like the new loco style. It doesn't feel right, it doesn't feel like Factorio. Factorio gets 2nd cool from a hitting 1st cool so very well. Everything looks like it works and everything feels like it was designed for purpose. It looks cool as a result. The new locomotive feels like it's doing it backwards. It feels to me like it's trying to look cool, and as a result clashes with the rest of Factorio.

Partly it's the colour - like the Iron Man suit, once you slap hotrod red on there it stops looking like a utility, and to me that means it stops looking like Factorio. It's perhaps a little too shiny, and I think all the bits sticking out the side feel like they were added for visual interest rather than any particular use.

Insert additional paragraphs going into this in more detail.

Islacrusez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Islacrusez »

To compare, I think http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/graphics/locos/12131.jpg looks more like Factorio loco than the new model. Sorry about the double post - your rules, not mine.

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

Islacrusez wrote:To compare, I think http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/graphics/locos/12131.jpg looks more like Factorio loco than the new model. Sorry about the double post - your rules, not mine.
Its really weird, but sometimes your 'back' option restores the entire post. Didn't test it on this forum, but it worked on some others.
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

Islacrusez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Islacrusez »

Ojelle wrote:
Its really weird, but sometimes your 'back' option restores the entire post. Didn't test it on this forum, but it worked on some others.
Tried it, didn't work. :(

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

The no link rule is kind of silly. It's possible to edit your first post and add in the link immediatly after posting. And the spam bots gets deleted quickly enough to not really be a great argument for keeping this rule. I didn't lose my first post but some do and it's not a great first experience of the factorio forums...

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Zeblote wrote:
doc wrote:
Zabanov wrote:Not to sound like an ingrateful prick (probably will still sound like one) but will there be an option to keep using the old choo choo model? They both look great, I just got really attached to the current choo choo.
I'm sure someone will make a mod for this in no time...
The old graphics would be incompatible as they don't have seperate wheels, don't stretch properly on curves, etc...
Would be possible to stretch it a bit and use the new loco wheels or replace the wheel graphics with transparent images of nothing though.

silverkitty23
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by silverkitty23 »

I didn't lose my first post, *even though it had a link* - the board told me to edit my post. So I edited it. I would have had to willfully ignore any feedback from hitting 'submit' to actually lose my post.

silvermoon88
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by silvermoon88 »

I like the mod portal idea quite a bit, but that new locomotive just doesn't work for me. Old graphic seems a lot better to me personally, since compared to the new one, it's more like the trains I know and like.
New one looks like nothing I've ever seen before... much less a coal-fired locomotive (shouldn't these trains have some water, since you can't fuel a diesel with coal?). It's certainly unique, but I'm not a fan personally.
SM

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

I will have to see the locomotive ingame to judge its design. Can't really tell if it is good or not. Still can't wait for 0.13, even if the locomotive may look not as good as the old one.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

everyone is being amazing by the new train graphics and other 0.13 stuff including me :oops: .
our new Programmer in the team. Say hello to Honza :)
and forget to say welcome to the new dev Honza ( 1 person didnt forget to say welcome)

Welcome and may the belts lead you to better factory's ;)

Deajang
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Deajang »

I was really hoping to try out the new toys in 0.13. Then I read on post #141 and a mod manager is actually going to be added. YES. Then I saw the new train graphics. This is the one of the stretchiest trains I have seen in years! Can't wait to run over bitters with this blood red, makeshift ghost train. I think near miss sideswipes from this new train is going to scary me more.

Gecko
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Gecko »

Nova wrote:Still can't wait for 0.13, even if the locomotive may look not as good as the old one.
I'm with you there! The old sprite was frighteningly massive and had an indestructible look on it. The new one almost looks fragile with all the pipes and valves uncovered on the outside. Imagine a biter pulls of a jump and gnaws a Pipe open. You'll lose speed and inevitably get eaten by those nasty buggers. Having a lot of steel plating covering all the pipes and valves and wheels, you feel save traveling long distances through enemy territory.

Some lore never huts. :)

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

Lol you guys arguing over like/dislike or 5 star ratings. Either way, the better mods will have better ratings. Also, YouTube rating system isn't binary because you have a third option, which is not to rate at all

Dr. Walrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dr. Walrus »

Will the independent axles on the new train allow multi-track drifting?

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

British_Petroleum wrote:Lol you guys arguing over like/dislike or 5 star ratings. Either way, the better mods will have better ratings. Also, YouTube rating system isn't binary because you have a third option, which is not to rate at all
There's always an option not to vote ; )
Most non-voters in YT are people who just don't bother voting - they came to absorb finished product.
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Ищу, теряя" (rus, 2013)

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Gecko wrote: I'm with you there! The old sprite was frighteningly massive and had an indestructible look on it. The new one almost looks fragile with all the pipes and valves uncovered on the outside. Imagine a biter pulls of a jump and gnaws a Pipe open. You'll lose speed and inevitably get eaten by those nasty buggers. Having a lot of steel plating covering all the pipes and valves and wheels, you feel save traveling long distances through enemy territory.
If you need train for apocalypse you need Hayajiro Kotetsujo :)

ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ChurchOrganist »

While we're on the subject of trains.....

I've just built my first train served iron outpost.

Took me a little while to figure out the signalling so I could have a PAX train as well, but I got there :)

I do find it a little odd though, that a rail wagon has fewer cargo slots than the car: It woul be the other way round in real life.

In the meantime I'll just sit knawing my knuckles while I wait for 0.13 :) Can't wait for the new circuit stuff.
Want to know where the biters chewing your power plant have come from??
Wondering where your next iron is going to come from??
You need Long Range Radar

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

Neotix wrote:Image
Exactly so must look a Train who is running through Enemy territory (or a Snow landscape)!!!
YuokiTani (Best Graphic Designer in this forum) when you see this ... you have a new Job :D

Return to “News”