Friday Facts #141 - Mod Portal

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Mafghine
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #141 - Mod Portal

Post by Mafghine »

Would rather have a stable release instead of bugged out save. TY for your time!

Tankh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tankh »

Looking forward to Friday the 0.13th

Sick locomotive btw. Separating the wheels and engine is a great idea!

huhn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by huhn »

i really like the new train texture but i really dislike the stretching of the train.

is a better vertical train station really worth doing this stretch?

the new inserter is so powerful it this really needed now?

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

Love the new locomotive! However, I love the old one just as much... would it be possible to add the new one as a new type of engine? Also the new one looks a little too shiny for Factorio ;)
Maybe this would be the opportunity to fix diesel engines apparently using coal...
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Hm, why gets the red color on top of the middle part of the train more red while the train changes direction?
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

roothorick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by roothorick »

self-same-spot wrote:So, just to confirm: you want to lock people with pirated copies (who may become customers at some point or recommend/PR the game to their friends) out of using mod portal? What if some mod authors are willing to serve their mods via their direct links (e.g., .zip's from github) to them?
Well, yes. And speaking as a blatant rampaging pirate, we simply expect this kind of thing and don't hold it against the dev. It's quite a gift when a scene figures out a way to make any kind of online feature work with a cracked/pirated copy; we definitely don't expect it.

(I did, in fact, buy Factorio though, back in the 0.10 days. I'm slowly changing.)

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mooklepticon »

You will be able to rate mods, probably using a 5-star scale and filter/sort mods by rating.
Please don't. 5 star systems are not really useful in aggregate. As shitty as YouTube can be, there's a good reason they went to a binary system. People don't truly use them.
+ratings+graph[1].jpg
+ratings+graph[1].jpg (6.89 KiB) Viewed 6785 times
Source https://youtube.googleblog.com/2009/09/ ... tings.html

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

roothorick wrote: Well, yes. And speaking as a blatant rampaging pirate, we
Sir, with all due respect:
In my point of view the word pirate is a euphemism for thief.
No less, either more

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

mooklepticon wrote:
You will be able to rate mods, probably using a 5-star scale and filter/sort mods by rating.
Please don't. 5 star systems are not really useful in aggregate. As shitty as YouTube can be, there's a good reason they went to a binary system. People don't truly use them.
Youtube has quite different users than factorio. "awesome" or "shit" is not enough when rating a mod.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

@mooklepticon: Please don't use a bianry system. I really don't like being forced to rate something just with 0 and 1. Just because a feature is only used by 5% percent (or even less) doesn't mean it is not good.

Youtube is not really comparable to a mod database. People rate there based on feelings, mostly in a few seconds. If people are able to write a review to a mod it's even more important to not force people to "like" or "dislike" something. It's a different result if there are much intermediate ratings than just top and bottom ratings.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Maudlin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maudlin »

Great FF! one question tho, will Admin be posting that Potato mod on the new factorio mods site? that mod is relevant to my interests! :lol:

ArchJudge
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ArchJudge »

Nova wrote:Hm, why gets the red color on top of the middle part of the train more red while the train changes direction?

Probably something to do with the universe expanding faster than the speed of light causing redshift

I may be under the influence of some substances
I love the smell of concrete paving robots in the morning .... it smells like Factorio

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

Oh come on guys. The bloody train is fucking awesome!

The only thing better than a red locomotive is a red locomotive with a giant steel skull on the front with burning flames coming out the eyes. :twisted:

... Hei! Wait a minute. Aren't bug fluids supposed to be green or something? If so where is the red blood coming from? :?

searker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by searker »

ArchJudge wrote:
Nova wrote:Hm, why gets the red color on top of the middle part of the train more red while the train changes direction?

Probably something to do with the universe expanding faster than the speed of light causing redshift

I may be under the influence of some substances
It might be some sort of reflection-effect. If you watch the trains right side, it does get more shiny when the train is turning.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I knew it.

MiiNiPaa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MiiNiPaa »

Most important question: will potato mod be avaliable for 0.13?

pr0n
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pr0n »

5 star scoring never works. There are a million places you can look for this to be demonstrated, any app store for starters. The bad apps have 1 star, the great ones have 4 3/4 stars and every single on in between has 4 1/2 stars. It's a horrible system and it never works despite the 3 people commenting in this thread who are convinced they are somehow different from every other human on earth. Binary ratings work amazingly, just look at Steam's ratings they are typically spot on.

If you question this, please take a look here https://davidcel.is/posts/why-i-hate-five-star-ratings/
Last edited by pr0n on Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ArderBlackard
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ArderBlackard »

The new locomotive is cool!
But what I personally like the most - is the idea of saving all the mods state. For modders having the possibility to use all the Lua constructs would be totally priceless!
MiiNiPaa wrote:Most important question: will potato mod be avaliable for 0.13?
I hope the devs will find some time to update it along with the game :D
Gib dich hin bis du Glück bist

madpav3l
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by madpav3l »

I would not mind a system like on nexusmods.com or similar features. I never had a problem finding a mod there, imo the best mod site.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Oh man! I had to do a double take when I saw that Locomotive picture and GIF. :o Looks so much better and more Factorio-ish than the current one. I am super excited just for that, not to mention all the other awesome stuff.

Also the mod portal, especially the in game integration is going to be great! So much hype!! :D
Image Image Image

Return to “News”